Uhtred!

7,581 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgGrad99
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
son of Uhtred.

Apparently the BBC is making another season or series:

The Last Kingdom
The second series of this axe-tastically bloody historical drama sees Netflix climb aboard, co-producing the series along with the BBC. Based on Bernard Cornwell's best-selling series of novels, it is getting some new cast members too, with Thirteen's Richard Rankin and Peter McDonald, The Bridge's Thure Lindhardt and Legend's Millie Brady joining actors Alexander Dreymon, David Dawson and Emily Cox. As the new series opens, Uhtred (Dreymon) continues his fight for his native land of Northumbria and voyages north to avenge Earl Ragnar's death and recapture his ancestral lands of Bebbanburg. That will mean a lot to the fans, anyway, of which there are many. Premieres 12 March on BBC2 (Credit: BBC)
H6RBW
YouBet
AG
Was the first season good? I'm on book 9.
PatAg
AG
First season was very good. We had a thread, not sure where it is.
Trident 88
AG
Agreed that the first season was a very pleasant surprise. They just need to add good looking females.
Spaceball 1
AG
It's great, not as good as Vikings but good
PatAg
AG
Spaceball 1 said:

Vikings is a low class version of The Last Kingdom...but a lot of people want that from their TV I guess
Gregg Papivich
Finally... this show is f***ing great
PatAg
AG
PatAg said:

Spaceball 1 said:

Vikings is a low class version of The Last Kingdom...but a lot of people want that from their TV I guess
I also like Vikings, just as a reference.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Where can I find season 1?
FL_Ag1998
AG
Netflix I believe is where I watched it. Maybe Amazon Prime but 99% sure it was Netfix
Trident 88
AG
It's Netflix. Most of the unknown shows that I find on Netflix are unknown for a good reason, but this series was better than most of the shows that I DVR.
AgGrad99
AG
Love this show
PatAg
AG
Show is up on Netflix now, I guess they partnered with BBC funding wise, so we get it on time !
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Great book series; good show.

I think they miscast Uhtred who is supposed to be like 6'4 and a beast
PatAg
AG
I dunno, he is comparatively much larger than most people on the show

Looked it up, dude is only 5'10 ... I do like his portrayal so far though
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I like his acting just wish he was a little bit taller like Ski Lo
Trident 88
AG
I really enjoyed the priest rope-a-dope vs. the dane in Lunden. Uhtred is a sly dog.
Trident 88
AG
Season 2 was excellent!
VanZandt92
PatAg
AG
Great 2nd season.
hunter2012
AG
I hope his decision making gets better in the second season. He basically just lucked off of impulse the first season.

That as of season 1, King Alfred might be my favorite character. Physically weak but playing chess with the Vikings who can't even read and just outmaneuvering everyone left and right.
Pelayo
AG
Bernard Cornwell is one of the greatest historical fiction writers of all time.

Naturally the books are better, but the series is well done.

Wyrd bid ful araed
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
H6RBW
AG
The books are great. Has Cornwell given any indication how many more there might be? At this point, Uhtred is elderly for his world and, now that he's retaken Bebbanburg, we have to be approaching the end of the story.
Pelayo
AG
H6RBW said:

The books are great. Has Cornwell given any indication how many more there might be? At this point, Uhtred is elderly for his world and, now that he's retaken Bebbanburg, we have to be approaching the end of the story.
Not that I've seen, and agreed.Cornwell isn't getting any younger either. I would think the next to be his capstone
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PatAg
AG
Man... I like the show Vikings fine, especially the first two seasons and primarily for Ranger, Following, Floki, and Lagertha....but Last Kingdom blows it out of the water
AgGrad99
AG
Had no idea Season 2 was out!

Thanks for the heads up.

AgGrad99
AG
Ok, so I'm liking season 2 so far...but Im only a couple eps in and am thoroughly confused.

It's been so long since the end of season one, I'm struggling to remember all that was going on, and who did what to whom.....and this season they seem to introduce a new character every 6 minutes, and kill off a character every 15....so i cant keep up with whose where, and whose done what.

Will the characters/plot iron out a bit, or am I just dumb?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Seems like
Season 1 covers books 1 & 2
Season 2 covers books 3 & 4

At this pace, we will only get about 5 seasons... which is good, because this show is good enough that I don't want it to jump the shark or get stale.
PatAg
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Ok, so I'm liking season 2 so far...but Im only a couple eps in and am thoroughly confused.

It's been so long since the end of season one, I'm struggling to remember all that was going on, and who did what to whom.....and this season they seem to introduce a new character every 6 minutes, and kill off a character every 15....so i cant keep up with whose where, and whose done what.

They did a pretty decent review at the beginning of episode 1 I thought? I think it becomes a bit more clear about episode 3/4. I could be wrong.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
PatAg said:

AgGrad99 said:

They did a pretty decent review at the beginning of episode 1 I thought? I think it becomes a bit more clear about episode 3/4. I could be wrong.
Kjartan the Cruel is who killed Ragnar the father through firing his home. Sven is Kjartan's son, he tried to rape Thyra as a little girl when they were boys, but Uhtred found her and stopped Sven by cutting out his eye - this started the blood-feud. When Kjartan fired the home, Uhtred was off with Bria and when they got back, home burnt; Ragnar the Younger was gone and they though Thyra was dead. Uhtred was scapegoated by Ragnar's vassals (Kjartan's crew) to Ubbe Lothbrokson; so that when Uhtred went to go explain that it was really Kjartan and Sven Kjartanson he was apprehended... so when he got the chance to go North on Alfred's business to stop Erik and Sigefrid (in the books it's Ivaar Ivaarson) and establish Guthred as the King of Northumbria - he takes advantage to revenge his adopted Father Jarl Ragnar.

Of course he met Finan while he was a slave on the ship. Aelfric was his uncle (the Usurper of Bebbanburg) when he was Osbert (before he became Uhtred when his older brother was killed). And Haeston was the dane he freed in Aelferwick (York) and let go - the one who was chained up and fighting the townspeople with a dull sword. Remember "Jarl" Haesten because he's a prominent antagonist to Uhtred from here on out.

I hope that helps clear up a little. I have listed some character's below, without trying to spoil anything from Season 2...

Aelfric the Usurper of Bebbanburg; Uhtred's Uncle

Jarl Ragnar (the father)

Ragnar Ragnarson - Uhtred's Brother

Kjartan the Cruel (Sven's dad; killed Jarl Ragnar, the dad)

Sven Kjartanson (the One-eye) - jerk who tried to rape Thyra; started blood feud

Ubbe Lothbrokson:

Halig; Uhtred's sworn sword and house guards (I think this is a mix of characters in the books)

died while tied to the bow of the ship while a slave

Finan; Irishman that Uhtred befriends

Aethelwold; supposed to be king of Wessex, but the witan voted Alfred (his uncle) instead

Haesten; who Uhtred freed in York

Guthrum ; aka King Aethelstan of East Anglia (mostly in Season 1, but reference alot in season 2) - was baptized after Svein of the Whitehorse lost the final battle of Season 1...

Svein of the Whitehorse:

Here's a guide from BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/1c21wJQjzFqPlvnftfwGQl8/finan
AgGrad99
AG
That was helpful...thanks.

Was Haesten in the show previously (in a meaningful way)? Uhtred freed him, and I didnt understand why.

AgGrad99
AG
Also...regarding Guthred.

They free him early in season 2, and name him King.

Was that something in the works at the end of season one? It all seemed to happen so fast in season two, and I couldnt remember the connection to season 1.

(this is what happens when I binge watch a series, and then dont get the next season for a year).

SpreadsheetAg
AG
AgGrad99 said:

That was helpful...thanks.

Was Haesten in the show previously (in a meaningful way)? Uhtred freed him, and I didnt understand why.

He freed him because he needed a messenger if I recall correctly. And because the Abbots and priests who led the revolt were essentially torturing him by making him fight against his will. They explain it better in the book, but had to speed through it in the show.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Also...regarding Guthred.

They free him early in season 2, and name him King.

Was that something in the works at the end of season one? It all seemed to happen so fast in season two, and I couldnt remember the connection to season 1.

(this is what happens when I binge watch a series, and then dont get the next season for a year).

I think he's the rightful king of Northumbria, but his dad abdicated to the Danes Erik & Sigefrid (in the books its Ivar the Boneless; Ivar Ivarson). So, Alfred wants a Christian King re-established in Northumbria as an ally, so he dispatches Uhtred to find Guthred, free him, and set him up as the king.

Guthred:
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.