Underrated or underappreciated TV shows

14,007 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CorpsAg11
CorpsAg11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My shows:

Nathan For You (Comedy Central) - For those that haven't seen it, it is a spoof of the shows that takeover and fix a business (e.g. Bar Rescue). If you can stand the (intentional) awkwardness of Nathan Fielder it is worth the payoff. The "Dumb Starbucks" episode was an all time great troll. This show doesn't get much attention though.

The Exorcist (Fox) - This show aired just a few months ago and was largely ignored, but it was fantastic. Great acting, suspense, and plot twists throughout.

Review (Comedy Central) - The concept is that he reviews life experiences. Its fun watching the host's life slowly unravel as a result of the "reviews" he does (e.g. divorce, murder).

The Americans (FX) - One of the best shows on TV, it gets tremendous critical acclaim. However, the ratings are never stellar. I think it doesn't pick up new viewers easily b/c it's one of those shows you basically have to start from the first episode. I always worry they're going to cancel it.
wangus12
AG
Firefly
3rdGen2015
AG
Better off Ted
CorpsAg11
AG
Definitely. Arrested Development is another obvious choice.
Quinn
AG
CorpsAg11 said:

My shows:

Nathan For You (Comedy Central) - For those that haven't seen it, it is a spoof of the shows that takeover and fix a business (e.g. Bar Rescue). If you can stand the (intentional) awkwardness of Nathan Fielder it is worth the payoff. The "Dumb Starbucks" episode was an all time great troll. This show doesn't get much attention though.

The Exorcist (Fox) - This show aired just a few months ago and was largely ignored, but it was fantastic. Great acting, suspense, and plot twists throughout.

Review (Comedy Central) - The concept is that he reviews life experiences. Its fun watching the host's life slowly unravel as a result of the "reviews" he does (e.g. divorce, murder).

The Americans (FX) - One of the best shows on TV, it gets tremendous critical acclaim. However, the ratings are never stellar. I think it doesn't pick up new viewers easily b/c it's one of those shows you basically have to start from the first episode. I always worry they're going to cancel it.
Agree - my wife hates this show bc she can't stand the awkwardness.

Never seen it

Agree

Agree. They have announced two final seasons, with the first of those two starting March 7th.
jabberwalkie09
AG
CorpsAg11 said:

You have to remember that FX typically handles how they run/renew series differently from other networks. Pretty much any show on FX that does well in its first season is pretty much guaranteed 5 or 6 seasons. They renewed it last year for two more seasons during its fourth season.

If The Strain has lasted as long as it has, I don't think The Americans has much to worry about and it will finish its run.
Sex Panther
AG
Man Seeking Woman
Professor Frick
AG
There's a show I've been watching on Netflix lately, that I never gave a chance at all in its original run, because to me it seemed like what I'd call a 'mom show' (a mediocre CBS police procedural for old people to fall asleep to).
But then I recently learned that this show was created by Jonathan Nolan (writer of Memento, Inception, Interstellar, etc). So I gave it a shot. Anyway, despite its vague and ineffective title "Person of Interest" is a great show! I don't know if it was well regarded during its run, but it was certainly underrated by me.
MGS
The Venture Bros.
TXAG 05
AG
Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles
CorpsAg11
AG
Sex Panther said:

Man Seeking Woman

Good call. Critics love it but most people don't know about it.
gigemJTH12
AG
Prison Break
redd38
AG
I really liked Ed. I haven't watched it in like 15 years so maybe it doesn't hold up, but I remember liking it back then and wishing it was available on Netflix.
Quinn
AG
I think there are issues with the music rights that keep it from being on a streaming service. Enjoyed that show back in the day.
Goldie Wilson
Newsradio

Billy on the Street
israeliag
AG
Recent ones that I'm waiting for more episodes of. and feel are underrated/underviewed:
Flaked (Netflix)
Preacher (AMC)

I'm also surprised at how few people watch House of Lies given it has Don Cheadle, Kristen Bell, and John Ralfio.
redd38
AG
Quinn said:

I think there are issues with the music rights that keep it from being on a streaming service. Enjoyed that show back in the day.

Yeah, I think I read that too. It had so much music in it that it's prohibitively expensive to add to Netflix.
an antelope ate it
Longmire
redd38
AG
redd38 said:

Quinn said:

Yeah, I think I read that too. It had so much music in it that it's prohibitively expensive to add to Netflix.

Looks like the whole thing is on YouTube with the music awkwardly removed.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Dream On - HBO
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Community
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
NYPD Blue
13B
Last Man Standing (better than the TexAgs Politics Board)
Quinn
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Community
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Justified was one of the greatest shows on television and never got near the amount of accolades and viewership that it deserved.

Raylan Givins and Boyd Crowder are two of the best hero/villain characters ever.
dcAg
Ed

Dear John
Drawkcab
Heroes

I enjoyed it before the writer's strike really ****ed it up.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Community

Agreed. Such a great show
The D
AG
One show I really like but was cancelled after the first season was Terriers on FX.
jackie childs
I have no idea whether these shows are really underrated, but I'd never seen them until I watched them on Netflix:

The Black Donnelly's
Terriers
Person of Interest (as noted above)
Archer
Luther
Urban Ag
AG
Hung
maverick2076
Pushing Daisies
gougler08
AG
Archer
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Justified
Pushing Daisies
Community
The Americans
Firefly

Those are my top 5 underappreciated. Mostly ignored except by devoted followings. Only The Americans ever got award noms it seems but still no audience.

edit - added one

hunter2012
AG
It has appreciation on the Eboard but at large it's largely unknown is a show called Rick and Morty.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.