Anybody ever use VidAngel and thoughts on courts shutting it down.

7,048 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
AgShaun00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

VidAngel allows you to filter our whatever you want and in December a judge shut them down. There are movies I want to watch with my kids, but i am a stickler for things I don't want them to hear. I found out about the service and looks great.

info on lawsuit

Petition
[url=https://blog.vidangel.com/][/url]
schmendeler
AG
I find the legal situation interesting to ponder, but the service doesn't interest me. I'm generally anti-censorship. If they can't watch the whole thing as is, then they can wait.
Duncan Idaho
Have no problem with the ruling in light of current interpretation of the copyright clause.

The Collective
AG
My brother uses it for their family. I agree with the above they can watch the movie as it was intended or it can wait.
lunchbox
We used it - but primarily as a sub for redbox.

HD movies were $2...and you couldn't watch unless you turned on a filter so we would just filter out a single cuss word (not through the entire movie...just one mention of it) and then watch.

When the court decision came out, we gave it a few weeks and then asked for them to refund the remaining $ we had on our account.
biobioprof
schmendeler said:

I find the legal situation interesting to ponder, but the service doesn't interest me. I'm generally anti-censorship. If they can't watch the whole thing as is, then they can wait.
Wait for what?
schmendeler
AG
biobioprof said:

schmendeler said:

Wait for what?

The children to get old enough to watch the uncensored version.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
schmendeler said:

biobioprof said:

schmendeler said:

Wait for what?

The problem is that a lot of us would like to watch movies without all the unnecessary cussing, violence, etc. The service should be totally legal.
Cancelled
AG
I cuss, but if I could censo "****" out of movies...at least a 75% reduction, id be happy. I'm just tired of hearing that word.
Squirrel Master
AG
abc0371 said:

schmendeler said:

biobioprof said:

schmendeler said:

Wait for what?

The problem is that a lot of us would like to watch movies without all the unnecessary cussing, violence, etc. The service should be totally legal.
I don't think you have the right to force product creators to give you access to their product on your terms, beyond voting with your wallet.
SeattleAgJr
I want Aggie games to have a filter on commercials shown on the JumboTron.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Squirrel Master said:

abc0371 said:

schmendeler said:

biobioprof said:

schmendeler said:

Wait for what?

I don't think you have the right to force product creators to give you access to their product on your terms, beyond voting with your wallet.

It doesn't force them to give you access to their product on my terms. It's simply a service that allows you to watch a movie you own through a filter. You own the movie, and aren't altering it in any way. If you choose to sell it back, it's in the same condition as when you bought it.
Liquid Wrench
I find it bizarre that people feel entitled to edit movies to their liking. I agree with Queso that profanity is way overdone these days, but there is a practically unlimited amount of movies or other forms of entertainment to choose from.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
ChiliBeans said:

I find it bizarre that people feel entitled to edit movies to their liking. I agree with Queso that profanity is way overdone these days, but there is a practically unlimited amount of movies or other forms of entertainment to choose from.

First, this doesn't edit anything. The movie that you buy is not altered in any way. You're simply filtering what you see. It's similar to fast forwarding with a DVR or a DVD that you own. Secondly, if I purchase something, it's mine and I have the right to use it as I choose.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
I know where you can legally watch filtered and edited movies for free. OTA Networks. For a fee you can do the same thing on about 50 different cable stations.

It isn't about the editing, its about licensing. No license, no play. Vidangel is a great idea poorly executed.
TCTTS
AG
No doubt that a lot of movies are obviously either crap made by vulgar people, or great but may perhaps skew a bit more adult than you'd like, and I get that, but either way, the artistic intent of those filmmakers shouldn't be bent to meet the standards of what you do and don't want to keep from your children. And I know half of you will laugh at a bloody gun fight or a string of cuss words being labeled as "artistic intent," but it's true. With any good movie, that scene and those words were chosen for a reason (whether you agree with that reason or not) and giving you or a non-sanctioned company the power to edit them out compromises - even if on a minor level - the intent, vision, and years of hard work put into making that movie exactly what it is. Filmmakers/studios should have the right and freedom to have their products viewed without compromise. The difference in censorship on, say, ABC Family or NBC, is that the filmmaker/studio agreed to those terms when selling the licensing rights for their movies to be shown on those channels, and in almost every case had complete control over the alternate lines/words you hear in the edited version. But letting some third-party get away with editing at their leisure what they deem to be "offensive" or "bad" about a movie they had no official stake in - and charging for that service - is honestly kind of ****ed up.
TCTTS
AG
A bit off topic, but my grandfather once told me how utterly shocked people were in 1939 at the line, "Frankly me dear, I don't give a damn" from Gone with the Wind. He and everyone he knew just couldn't believe the word "damn" was actually spoken in a movie. For better or worse, think of how far we've come since then. And likely, 100 years from now people are going to think it's insane that there were still like five words we weren't allowed to hear/say in certain situations. And yes, words should have meaning/consequence, and there's a power and even an elegance in being able to use one of a select few to really get your point across. But one day people will laugh at us for the manner and nonsensical way in which we designated certain mouth noises to be off-limits. Sure, there will always be violent/sexual situations in media that will require certain ratings and restrictions - as they should - but the idea of "cuss words" has always baffled me.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Thomas Ford 91 said:

I know where you can legally watch filtered and edited movies for free. OTA Networks. For a fee you can do the same thing on about 50 different cable stations.

It isn't about the editing, its about licensing. No license, no play. Vidangel is a great idea poorly executed.

I don't know of any other service like VidAngel other than a similar service selling edited DVDs years ago. They don't even edit movies, they provide a filter for movies that you own, and the actual product is never altered. If that's not legal than forget customizing your iPhone or Silverado because the designers spent years perfecting them.
TresPuertas
AG
abc0371 said:

Squirrel Master said:

abc0371 said:

schmendeler said:

biobioprof said:

schmendeler said:

Wait for what?

It doesn't force them to give you access to their product on my terms. It's simply a service that allows you to watch a movie you own through a filter. You own the movie, and aren't altering it in any way. If you choose to sell it back, it's in the same condition as when you bought it.
This is a kind of strange situation indeed. I can see both sides of it, and I'm no IP attorney, but it seems like its an issue with allowing the consumer to change the IP to their liking. I could see creators of content having a problem with doing that, so I kind of take their side.

Again, its interesting, and probably has MUCH more to do than just editing out language or objectionable material, and we likely haven't seen the last of this in the courts.
Liquid Wrench
I completely agree with you on all of this. Whether I like something or not, I want to see it the way the creators intended. To use a bit of analogy, I like to cook but when I go into a restaurant I'm expecting to see how someone else makes it.
AgShaun00
AG
ChiliBeans said:

I completely agree with you on all of this. Whether I like something or not, I want to see it the way the creators intended. To use a bit of analogy, I like to cook but when I go into a restaurant I'm expecting to see how someone else makes it.
Also, you can ask the cook to change it to make it to your wants.

For me, Marvel movies are designed to target kids and adults. The language in there I don't want my 8/10 yr boys to here and I know they hear them everywhere probably, but I need to set an example of what I expect from them. Personally I think they can make more revenue if they allow this and I get they have a vision of what they want their film/art to be and I understand. For the 10% of the people that want to filter, does it really matter?

You are correct that I can use my money as a way to filter and not support the movies and I do.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
TresPuertas said:

abc0371 said:

Squirrel Master said:

abc0371 said:

schmendeler said:

biobioprof said:

schmendeler said:

Wait for what?

This is a kind of strange situation indeed. I can see both sides of it, and I'm no IP attorney, but it seems like its an issue with allowing the consumer to change the IP to their liking. I could see creators of content having a problem with doing that, so I kind of take their side.

Again, its interesting, and probably has MUCH more to do than just editing out language or objectionable material, and we likely haven't seen the last of this in the courts.

It will be interesting to see. As for seeing content the way the creators want you to see, what if you were to go through a book and black out all the objectionable words and content on the pages? You obviously own the book, and I've never heard anyone complain about that. What makes this any different, especially given the fact that you're not altering the movie in any way, you're simply putting a filter on that you can change at any time.
CrawlingNo5
AG
ChiliBeans said:

But what if I order a hamburger and I want to take the onions and tomatoes off? Isn't that the same thing as what this service provides? The chef can make that hamburger however he chooses to, I am just going to take some of the ingredients off.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
That doesn't violate copyright laws like this other service does though.
MooreTrucker
AG
schmendeler said:

I don't see why they should wait, if there's a means to prevent them from seeing inappropriate material.
TCTTS
AG
Bingo.

The difference here is that an unaffiliated third party is interjecting and charging you for them to remove the onions and tomatoes, without any official contract with the original "restaurant."

I don't see how this is even a question.
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

A bit off topic, but my grandfather once told me how utterly shocked people were in 1939 at the line, "Frankly me dear, I don't give a damn" from Gone with the Wind. He and everyone he knew just couldn't believe the word "damn" was actually spoken in a movie. For better or worse, think of how far we've come since then. And likely, 100 years from now people are going to think it's insane that there were still like five words we weren't allowed to hear/say in certain situations. And yes, words should have meaning/consequence, and there's a power and even an elegance in being able to use one of a select few to really get your point across. But one day people will laugh at us for the manner and nonsensical way in which we designated certain mouth noises to be off-limits. Sure, there will always be violent/sexual situations in media that will require certain ratings and restrictions - as they should - but the idea of "cuss words" has always baffled me.
I remember seeing Hawkeye Pierce call someone a "son of a b****" on TV and how shocking that was, and it proves your point of using particular words to get a particular effect. But if that effect will be lost on young ones, I'd err on the side of keeping them from hearing such words in an otherwise good movie.

It does seem silly, and I can't even think of a movie right off that I would let young ones watch that DID have such words.

But if it's a movie that I own, and I want to filter it, in my own house, it should be up to me.
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

Bingo.

The difference here is that an unaffiliated third party is interjecting and charging you for them to remove the onions and tomatoes, without any official contract with the original "restaurant."

I don't see how this is even a question.
But if you're paying them to remove the onions and tomatoes, they aren't unaffiliated. You brought them into the restaurant to take the stuff off your burger. They work for you and are doing what you want them to do.
Liquid Wrench
You have fast forward and mute buttons.

Heck, my parents would just cover my eyes and ears or tell me to leave the room. Different times, I suppose.
MooreTrucker
AG
ChiliBeans said:

You have fast forward and mute buttons.

Heck, my parents would just cover my eyes and ears or tell me to leave the room. Different times, I suppose.
Hard to FF or mute and hit it exactly.

Only sorta related story - we watched Stripes so many times on TV we forgot that they'd taken out nekkid boobs. One day, we were out of town on vacation and it was raining, so we rented some movies to watch with our kids (age 9 or 10, IIRC). Well, you can guess what happened.

Animal House is also censored for TV, btw.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

But if you're paying them to remove the onions and tomatoes, they aren't unaffiliated. You brought them into the restaurant to take the stuff off your burger. They work for you and are doing what you want them to do.
I think the analogy may be lost on you.
MooreTrucker
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

I think the analogy may be lost on you.
I don't think so, but maybe you can explain it to me.
Liquid Wrench
A restaurant is not going to allow a third party to come in and charge a fee to alter the burger after it's been served. On top of the basic common sense self interests, there's a mountain of complex copyright law governing use and distribution.

The studios may at some point offer their own approved editing app, but is their legal right to decide whether or how to do so.

Admittedly, my analogy was slightly strained to begin with.
MooreTrucker
AG
ChiliBeans said:

A restaurant is not going to allow a third party to come in and charge a fee to alter the burger after it's been served. On top of the basic common sense self interests, there's a mountain of complex copyright law governing use and distribution.

The studios may at some point offer their own approved editing app, but is their legal right to decide whether or how to do so.

Admittedly, my analogy was slightly strained to begin with.
But if I bring a guy in with me, order a burger, and then pay him to take the stuff off, what business is it of the restaurant? OR more like I order a burger and take it home, then have a guy remove the tomatoes and onions. It's my burger, that I paid for, and I want that guy to take the stuff off for me...maybe I'm allergic or something.

Same with the videos. It's my video that I paid for. In my house. Why can't I get some guy to remove the parts I don't want to see?

Or maybe I'm not understanding how this VidAngel thing works....
Liquid Wrench
It would take someone much smarter than me to explain the copyright laws at play here.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.