***** BBC's The Last Kingdom *****

5,172 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by VanZandt92
Aggie_3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finally watching episode 1 and all I have to say is damn BBC has done it again with yet another great show!!
Prime0882
AG
Have this one DVR'd and am looking forward to it. Heard good things about the first episode.
Aggie_3
It was fantastic
TheDoctor
AG
On my list to watch!
Wildcat
AG
Great Recommendation. I am a complete sucker for this genre. Hell, I even watched Reign...as sappy as it is,
Aggie Infantry
AG
Watched ep1. Great start. Set the foundation for a great season.
H6RBW
AG
You may know this already but, just in case, the show is based on a series if books, Saxon Tales, by Bernard Cornwell. Someone else recommended the books in a thread several months back. I tried the first one, and now I'm halfway through the last (the eighth, I think) in the series. They're awesome.
PatAg
AG
Can't wait for episode 3, looks like a long wait maybe.
PatAg
AG
Nevermind, the 24th, still 2 weeks though.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Called it:
http://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2624742/replies/42994522#42994522
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
You may know this already but, just in case, the show is based on a series if books, Saxon Tales, by Bernard Cornwell. Someone else recommended the books in a thread several months back. I tried the first one, and now I'm halfway through the last (the eighth, I think) in the series. They're awesome.

Probably me... http://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2328229/0#discussion

I will pump these books to whoever will listen.... Fantastic reads

I am reading another series by the same author (Bernard Cornwell).... It's basically a three part historical fiction set in SW England during "King" Arthur's time... It's about a Saxon boy named Derfel who grows to become one of Arthur's Captains... And how Arthur is a ******* of Uther Pendragon who wants nothing to do with a throne, but will fight to the death to keep his oath to his King (Uther then Mordred)... It's a great rewrite on the Arthur legend, and paints Lancelot into a slithering snake of a coward who connives his way into power... Makes you really hate Lancelot. Guinevere is a manipulative power hungry beeotch, Gallahad is Lancelots little brother and is nothing like his bro, and is Derfels best friend, etc. Merlin is a Druid who is basically just really smart and learned, and uses his logic and grandstanding to convince people he has real magic; he does believe in"the gods" and he does conjure and use magic but it's always circumstantial at best.

Anyways, another great read by the same author if your interested after you finish book 8 of The Saxon stories.
Prime0882
AG
Great first two episodes but had to figure out who was attacking in the beginning of the second episode since I looked down for a moment when they showed who set it all up.

Anyone know if this is supposed to be eight seasons covering each of the books?
Wildcat
AG
My cable provider doesn't have BBC America.

I was able to watch the premier at BBCAmerica.com, but now none of that is there. Anyone know what is up?

PatAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Probably me... http://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2328229/0#discussion

I will pump these books to whoever will listen.... Fantastic reads

I am reading another series by the same author (Bernard Cornwell).... It's basically a three part historical fiction set in SW England during "King" Arthur's time... It's about a Saxon boy named Derfel who grows to become one of Arthur's Captains... And how Arthur is a ******* of Uther Pendragon who wants nothing to do with a throne, but will fight to the death to keep his oath to his King (Uther then Mordred)... It's a great rewrite on the Arthur legend, and paints Lancelot into a slithering snake of a coward who connives his way into power... Makes you really hate Lancelot. Guinevere is a manipulative power hungry beeotch, Gallahad is Lancelots little brother and is nothing like his bro, and is Derfels best friend, etc. Merlin is a Druid who is basically just really smart and learned, and uses his logic and grandstanding to convince people he has real magic; he does believe in"the gods" and he does conjure and use magic but it's always circumstantial at best.

Anyways, another great read by the same author if your interested after you finish book 8 of The Saxon stories.
Would also recommend his Sharpe's Rifles series.
H6RBW
AG
quote:
Probably me...

Yep, I'd forgotten. Glad you posted that because I've really enjoyed the series.
Aggie Infantry
AG
quote:
Sharpe's Rifles series
Awsome series!
PatAg
AG
This show is excellent.
Prime0882
AG
Back to the top. Both the GF and I have been very much enjoying this series so far. Probably #2 on our list of must see TV for the week behind Fargo.

Tried to spread the word about this one, but I don't know how many people have BBC America. Only reason we have it is because I paid for a bigger cable package to get the SEC Network this season.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Great show; you Can get each show on iTunes as it airs if you buy the season.... just FYI

The only thing I don't like is the casting for Uhtred - the actor plays him near perfect, but is not as physically imposing as he is in the books.... I was hoping for someone much taller... oh well
PatAg
AG
quote:
Great show; you Can get each show on iTunes as it airs if you buy the season.... just FYI

The only thing I don't like is the casting for Uhtred - the actor plays him near perfect, but is not as physically imposing as he is in the books.... I was hoping for someone much taller... oh well
Should see if stands out on the battlefield in the coming episodes. I think Alfred is cast/acted very well too. Really every character
PatAg
AG
Feels like this show should have a lot more people talking about it..
jenn96
AG
I haven't seen it but I LOVE the books - gonna have to do a marathon if I can get my kids in a kennel for the weekend. I have really been looking forward to it.
H6RBW
AG
I'm an episode or two behind. A little different from the book, but a good show.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I think they've nailed the casting on Ragnar, Father Beorca, King Alfred, Young Ethelwold, and Brida... I want to see what they do for Steapa
H6RBW
AG
Have Leofric stand in for him?
H6RBW
AG
One more episode this season. This last episode (no. 7) was really good, I thought - especially the scene between Uhtred and Leofric the night before their fight. Hopefully, the series gets picked up for a second season.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
Feels like this show should have a lot more people talking about it..

Saturday night isn't a great night for TV here, and it's a new series without the following of Doctor Who. And I'm not sure how much they advertised outside of BBC America.

And I guess not everyone has or watches the channel.
West Texan
AG
does anyone know if this show will be on Netflix, and if so when?
H6RBW
AG
Just watched the season finale. Some pretty significant deviations from the books, but a really good episode. Really hope they get a second season.
AgGrad99
AG
quote:
does anyone know if this show will be on Netflix, and if so when?
Or Amazon Prime?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Wife wife says Downton Abbey is on Amazon Prime, so I would assume it would be the same as it's the same Network and director.
AgGrad99
AG
quote:
Wife wife says Downton Abbey is on Amazon Prime, so I would assume it would be the same as it's the same Network and director.

I checked, and it's on Amazon, but $2.99 per episode.

Downton Abbey is free with Prime. Curious if it'll be free now that the season is over, or if they are going to always charge for it.
H6RBW
AG
The show's been renewed for a second season:

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/bbc2-returns-to-the-last-kingdom/5098051.article
PatAg
AG
quote:
The show's been renewed for a second season:

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/bbc2-returns-to-the-last-kingdom/5098051.article
awesome news! I already loved the story, from the books, but this was extremely well casted and acted.
VanZandt92
This is on Netflix now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.