***Official GAME OF THRONES Season 6 (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)***

841,389 Views | 6639 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by hunter2012
redbaron788
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
The man was the soul of honor

Ned was the most dishonorable character in the show - if only for his hypocrisy. He had honor when it didn't cost him anything. He was happy to lop of someone else's head or spill someone else's dirty secret. He wasn't willing to tell King Robert a hard truth or stick up for what he believed when his children's lives were on the line. Ned was also all too happy to take credit for killing a greater warrior and a greater man - Ser Arthur Dayne.

Is it honorable to put your friend through the agony of knowing his wife cheated with her brother and gave him no legitimate children while in his deathbed?

Do you think Ned would have been happier to tell people Howland stabbed Dayne in the back and let his friend carry that stigma forever?

All too happy to take credit. The man was rarely happy and the choices he made were to keep others from suffering
redline248
AG
Offering Cersei an opportunity to leave safely with her children before telling Robert about her incestuous relationship with Jaime - dishonorable

Resigning his post in protest of Robert authorizing an assassination of a child across the sea - dishonorable

Returning the sword of a great warrior to his family rather than claim it for himself - dishonorable

Potentially keeping the identity of a baby boy secret from everyone, including his wife, in order to protect that baby's life - dishonorable

CapCityAg89
AG
Yeah, Eddard was absolutely politically naive (to be generous) but could never be considered dishonorable. Especially in the context of the books.

In fact, his only dishonorable act (confessing to being a traitor when it wasn't true just to save his daughters) resulted in his death. If he'd clung to the truth and professed that he and Jon Arryn both knew about Cercei and her brother and her kids were all bast***s - he still would've died, but the rest of his kids would've been better off.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

Ned was the most dishonorable character in the show - if only for his hypocrisy. He had honor when it didn't cost him anything. He was happy to lop of someone else's head or spill someone else's dirty secret. He wasn't willing to tell King Robert a hard truth or stick up for what he believed when his children's lives were on the line. Ned was also all too happy to take credit for killing a greater warrior and a greater man - Ser Arthur Dayne.

Ned never spoke of the battle at the tower that I know of. Just because the legend became something other than what happened doesn't mean that's Neds fault or doing. Stories get exaggerated by people through retelling.
bangobango
AG
quote:
quote:

My eyes just rolled out the back of my head.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Seriously. Wtf lol
PatAg
AG
That's also the very obvious assumption. He just got done reminding everyone not to let them make them leave their lines, and have the boltons come too them. Then his brother is murdered right in front of him, for sport, and he loses his ****.

Don't see how that reddit article comes to their conclusion of "being beaten"
McInnis 03
AG
If Jon is of r+l then he's still a *******, not an heir
AgLaw
AG
quote:
If Jon is of r+l then he's still a *******, not an heir

True, with two caveats:

1. Unless here was some sort of legitimization.
2. With the Baratheon line extinguished and he Targaryen make line extinguished, a ******* might have a claim. Kind of a reach on that one.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Is it not possible they were married in secret?
McInnis 03
AG
He was married to Elia, right? Couldn't marry again without dissolution of that
FightinTexasAg15
AG
quote:

It's very possible
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

It's very possible

also it may not matter so much that he is legitimate - doesn't matter for Tommen.

The most important factor may simply be that he is Targaryen as in dragons blood and all that plus you know.....maybe can ride dragons. I'm betting Jon, Dany, Tyrion are the three dragon riders and all Targaryens.

Your legitimacy doesn't matter if you win the iron throne through force.

Tyrion already interfaced with the dragons without getting torched.

FightinTexasAg15
AG
quote:

I'm pretty sure some Targaryens had multiple wives
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
my predictions

1. TOJ (not at the beginning) showing R+L=J
2. something goes down in KL with Tommen dying, faith militant oustered/killed
3. Dany sets sail for Westeros in some fashion
4. Red priestess is executed - some weird S*** happens when she dies
5. The wall comes down, at least a big gap in it and the WW/wights come through
6. snow everywhere (except Dorne) winter is here!!!!

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

they did but Westeros had it outlawed and even Targs generally adhered to it. but not always.

gougler08
AG
quote:
my predictions

1. TOJ (not at the beginning) showing R+L=J
2. something goes down in KL with Tommen dying, faith militant oustered/killed
3. Dany sets sail for Westeros in some fashion
4. Red priestess is executed - some weird S*** happens when she dies
5. The wall comes down, at least a big gap in it and the WW/wights come through
6. snow everywhere (except Dorne) winter is here!!!!

That would probably be the most epic episode of GoT if it all happened
redline248
AG
I think Bran has to be in the episode, and I could definitely see the prediction being true that his mark from the Night King's touch brings down part of the wall, or all of it.
PatAg
AG
I can't tell if you're a troll or a buffoon
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
I can't tell if you're a troll or a buffoon
yes?
AgLaw
AG
quote:
quote:

Wow. I completely missed that. My biggest hang up on the secret marriage theory was that Rhaegar was already married.
Goose06
AG
I don't think Jon will ever sit on the iron throne or even attempt to make a run at it. His purpose is fighting the night kings army
AgLaw02
AG
quote:
I don't think Jon will ever sit on the iron throne or even attempt to make a run at it. His purpose is fighting the night kings army
Agreed. Jon making a play for the throne makes no sense. He doesn't want it, first of all. Second, no one would give it to him, even if by some miracle he could prove R+L=J.
jenn96
AG
quote:
1 edit

Ding ding ding!!! Jons bloodline doesn't matter AT ALL to the Iron Throne. It's his role in the Long Night where his blood matters, where the combination of the blood of the Kings of Winter and the Dragon Lords will produce something important. (What, I don't know). I don't expect it will matter at all for the throne.
Old School Rucking
AG
quote:
Offering Cersei an opportunity to leave safely with her children before telling Robert about her incestuous relationship with Jaime - dishonorable

Resigning his post in protest of Robert authorizing an assassination of a child across the sea - dishonorable

Returning the sword of a great warrior to his family rather than claim it for himself - dishonorable

Potentially keeping the identity of a baby boy secret from everyone, including his wife, in order to protect that baby's life - dishonorable

Yes
No
No
Yes

The statement I objected to was that Ned was "the soul of honor". He's not and if you read the books you can recite a litany of better men (Selmy, Dayne, Drogo, Stannis...)

The thing that's appealing about the story is that there are no black and white hats - no heroes, no villains. GRRM has written very complex characters who are as imperfect as real people. Each one has qualities and makes choices worthy of respect or condemnation.
DCPD158
AG
Stannis?

Really?
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
chase128
AG
Stannis, the man who burns his child alive.

Suuuuuper honorable.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
The statement I objected to was that Ned was "the soul of honor". He's not and if you read the books you can recite a litany of better men (Selmy, Dayne, Drogo, Stannis...)

The thing that's appealing about the story is that there are no black and white hats - no heroes, no villains. GRRM has written very complex characters who are as imperfect as real people. Each one has qualities and makes choices worthy of respect or condemnation.
What?!

You claim to have read the books and THAT was your takeaway?1!

Ned Stark was written by GRRM as a 'lawfully stupid' character. By that I mean that Ned was written to exemplify what happens to 'the good guy', someone committed to upholding the law and it's virtues. Ned IS the personification of Honor in the world of Westeros. There's no denying it. This isn't up for interpretation. You're either trolling, or a dimwit.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Two hours!
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
Stannis, the man who burns his child alive.

Suuuuuper honorable.
Technically that didn't happen in the books and could be argued it was a construct of the television producers.

But either way, Stannis cannot be held above Ned as an avatar of honor.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great crowd at thr bar ane there's still two hours to go.
suburban cowboy
AG
quote:
Great crowd at thr bar ane there's still two hours to go.

Watch party where?
Twice an Aggie
AG
Even if Stannis does not burn his daughter he sanctioned murdering his brother with questionable magic...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
NYC

https://www.professorthoms.com
AgLaw02
AG
quote:
Even if Stannis does not burn his daughter he sanctioned murdering his brother with questionable magic...
Murdering 1 man to stop a war is moral according to some philosophers...Especially since the victim was a false king (younger brother).
First Page Last Page
Page 167 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.