***Official GAME OF THRONES Season 6 (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)***

842,012 Views | 6639 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by hunter2012
FightinTexasAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought overall the episode was pretty great.

Like most of you I'm confused as to why Arya went from hiding in the dark with needle at the end of last episode to gallivanting through the city this one.

And also why those brotherhood without banners guys (if that's who they actually were) massacred that camp.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
quote:
And also why those brotherhood without banners guys (if that's who they actually were) massacred that camp.
If under different leadership.....

If i recall from the books, they were described as being more like regular outlaws and less "noble" with LSH as compared to how they were under Beric Dondarrion
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I realize timelines of separate stories are not coincident....but it bugs me when

Brienne cannot get from the wall to Riverrun yet but

1. Yara and Theon sail all the way from the iron islands to Volantis
2. Jaime goes all the way from KL to Riverrun- i realize thats half the distance but he has an army in tow moving slowly
3. Jon and Sansa can make a tour of the north from the wall to bear island to deepwood motte and presumably others, while avoiding Bolton controlled areas.

Oh well. Dramatic license I suppose.

Apache
AG
A "filler" episode to be sure, but getting the Hound back & seeing Ian McShane (all to briefly) was very nice.

*The Waif clearly meant to make Arya suffer going for the guts instead of a sure kill. That said, Arya's guts should have been all over the bridge & her belly would have been full of canal water. The Waif is a dead girl.

*I did find the McShane character's view on religion very "modern" in appeal to my ears at least. Why did he wear the star of the seven? Is it like a fashion symbol that Cross has become to many today? Hmm. I wish they could have incorporated the Broken Man speech from "A Feast for Crows" into McShane's dialogue. He would have killed it. Brotherhood without Banners in this show version appears to be the Lord of Light's hit squad.

*The Blackfish & Jamie's confrontation was very close to the book version & I loved it. Good to see Ser Bronn back in action.

*I was ticked off that the Glover's did not follow Jon. The North in the show is a lot less loyal than the North in the books. I am hoping the Manderly's will join in soon. Maybe Sansa's letter went to White Harbor? I am thinking it will be Littlefinger & the Knights of the Vale to the rescue though.

*Asha hooking up with a wh*&e is a complete departure from the books & a petty pandering to the large male demographic. I for one thought we were done with this type of female portrayal in this series & I'm glad we are not.

*Margaery is awesome & a thorn off the Old Rose. (See what I did there?) I don't think this will end well in the long run. The High Sparrow is a sharp one.

*Dorne: Poorly handled by GRRM in the books. More poorly handled in the show.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
I feel like I'm one of the few who is never fazed by the "travel time discrepancies" that seem to keep coming up. Everyone here has read the books (presumably), so everyone should have at least some expectation that the passage of time as it looks on the show doesn't necessarily match up with how the stories are edited together-- the same way the stories as told in the books don't necessarily line up chronologically.

Who's to say that everything happening with Bran north of the Wall and Dany in Vaes Dothrak are even happening in the same year? Jamie got to Riverrun before Brienne could, but maybe Jamie left King's Landing a 2 months before Brienne even got to the Wall with Sansa?

Long rant short-- we're worrying way too much about how long it takes people to get places when we don't even have a measure of time to go off. Just enjoy the fact that we have so much action this season that this "problem" even comes up.

SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:

I realize timelines of separate stories are not coincident....but it bugs me when

2. Jaime goes all the way from KL to Riverrun- i realize thats half the distance but he has an army in tow moving slowly
3. Jon and Sansa can make a tour of the north from the wall to bear island to deepwood motte and presumably others, while avoiding Bolton controlled areas.

http://quartermaester.info/
(Interactive map)

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/11/10/game-of-thrones-fan-tabulates-distances-between-places-in-westeros/
(some users worked out some distances using the lengtrh of the wall = 149 pixels = 300 miles (100 leauges)

quote:

• Casterly Rock to the Golden Tooth: 240 miles
  • Casterly Rock to Lannisport: <40 miles
  • Casterly Rock to Kayce: 12 miles by sea and 100 miles by land
  • Casterly Rock to Deep Den (Goldroad): 240 miles (Deep Den is due north of Silver Hill)
  • Deep Den to King's Landing (Goldroad): 590 miles
  • Kayce to Faircastle (by raven): 480 miles
  • Faircastle to the Crag (by water): 115 miles
  • The Crag to Ashemark: 85 miles
  • Ashemark to Casterly Rock: 170 miles
  • Ashemark to the Golden Tooth: 100 miles
  • Lannisport to Crakehall: 260 miles
  • Crakehall to Old Oak: 130 miles

• Old Oak to Highgarden: 275 miles
  • Highgarden to Oldtown: 330 miles
  • Oldtown to Blackcrown: 110 miles
  • Oldtown to Three Towers: 120 miles
  • Blackcrown to Three Towers (by water): 60 miles
  • Three Towers to the Arbor (by water): 140 miles
  • Blackcrown to the Arbor (by water): 180 miles
  • Mouth of the Mander River to the Shield Islands: 70 miles
  • Highgarden to Golden Grove (either): 150 miles
  • Golden Grove to Silverhill (either): 220 miles
  • Highgarden to King's Landing (Roseroad): 760 miles
  • Highgarden to the Crownlands (Roseroad): 600 miles
  • Highgarden to Cider Hall (by river): 140 miles
  • Cider Hall to Longtable (by river): 100 miles
  • Cider Hall to Ashford (by river): 110 miles
  • Longtable to Bitterbridge (by river): 70 miles
  • Longtable to Grassy Vale (by river): 200 miles

(Note: there's a lot of geography in the way here. These figures are especially rough.)

• Border to the Bloody Gate: 170 miles
  • The Bloody Gate to the Eyrie: 70 miles
  • Saltpans to Wickenden (by water): 180 miles
  • Wickenden to Gulltown (by water): 310 miles
  • Gulltown to Runestone: 40 miles
  • Runestone to Iron Oaks (by water): 135 miles
  • Runestone to Old Anchor (by water): 95 miles
  • Old Anchor to Longbow Hall (by raven): 115 miles
  • Old Anchor to Longbow Hall (by water): 240 miles
  • Longbow Hall to Snakewoods (by water): 350 miles
  • Longbow Hall to Baelish Keep: 90 miles
  • Snakewoods to Heart's Home (by water): 125 miles
  • Heart's Home to Strong Song (by water): 180 miles
  • Snakewoods to Coldwater (by raven): 70 miles
  • Snakewoods to Coldwater (by water): 450 miles
  • The Sisters (equidistant) to Pebble Island (by water): 190 miles
  • Pebble Island to The Paps (by water): 120 miles
  • The Paps to Coldwater (by water): 160 miles
  • The Sisters (equidistant) to White Harbor (by water): 275 miles

• Harroway to Moat Cailin (Kingsroad): 700 miles
  • Moat Cailin to Cerwyn (Kingsroad): 260 miles
  • Cerwyn to Winterfell (Kingsroad): 100 miles
  • Greywater Watch to Kingsroad: ~75 miles
  • Flint's Finger to Kingsroad: 500 miles
  • Moat Cailin to Whiteharbor: 160 miles
  • Whiteharbor to Winterfell: 340 miles
  • Whiteharbor to Ramsgate: 260 miles
  • Ramsgate to Hornwood: 220 miles
  • Ramsgate to Widow's Watch: 230 miles
  • Widow's Watch to Karhold (by water): 480 miles
  • Karhold to Last Hearth: 260 miles
  • Karhold to Dreadfort: 260 miles
  • Dreadfort to Last Hearth: 210 miles
  • Dreadfort to Winterfell: 350 miles
  • Winterfell to Torrhen's Square: 230 miles
  • Winterfell to Deepwood Motte: 350 miles
  • Deepwood Motte to Torrhen's Square: 320 miles
  • Deepwood Motte to Bear Island (by water): 140 miles
  • Winterfell to Castle Black (by raven): 600 miles
  • Winterfell to Castle Black (Kingsroad): 650 miles
  • Winterfell to Hornwood: 280 miles
  • Barrowton to Kingsroad: 260 miles
  • Barrowton to Torrhen's Square: 125 miles by land, 60 miles by water
  • Barrowton to the Saltspear (by water): 115 miles
  • Barrowton to Flint's Finger (by water): 280 miles

It's about 3,000 miles (2,600 nautical miles) from Iron Islands to Volantis by this method... The average viking longship made between 5-15 knots depending on conditions. If we assume 10 knots average speed for the Asha / Theon fleet - that's 2,600 NM / (10 knots * 24 hours) = 11 days of sailing. Not too bad actually.

The distance from King's Landing to Riverrun I couldn't find directly, but it looks like about 450 miles eyeballing it... The average marching army can make about 10 miles (leisurely) per day up to 40 miles (pressing) per day. If we say 25 miles per day on average, that's 450 / 25 = 18 days of marching.

Winterfell to Castle Black is 650 miles. Winterfell to Riverrun is about 1100 miles. Brienne from the wall to Riverran is = 1,750 miles. On horseback a person can cover 50-100 miles per day. Again the average of 75 miles a day would yield: 1,750 / 75 = 24 days riding.

So it's reasonable to conclude that Brienne will show up to Riverrun way after Jaime's Army. And that Asha and Theon would smoke everyone else to Volantis.

(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KAqa9wwODqaFkegqf8Si6fmuE55-M-GMIj0ZmcKUFxs/edit)
FightinTexasAg15
AG
There's a post on Reddit addressing this right now.

One of the directors said this in an interview:

"The timelines between the various storylines don't necessarily line up within a given episode. For instance, the "Northern Tour" Jon and Sansa embark on would probably take a couple weeks, but Arya's storyline over the past few episodes only spans a few days. We realized awhile ago that if we tied ourselves in knots trying to make all the "story days" line up between all the characters the momentum would suffer. "
chase128
AG
Someone on reddit said Arya is left handed but in this episode Arya was right handed. Think this is just a mistake or a subtle hint that there's more going on with Arya...
McInnis 03
AG
How could there be an imposter Arya when she's still alive? They can't just pose with her face when it's still hers??
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Someone on reddit said Arya is left handed but in this episode Arya was right handed. Think this is just a mistake or a subtle hint that there's more going on with Arya...
she is left handed. The girl that plays her apparently put in hours of training to do everything left handed because she is right handed.
chase128
AG
quote:
How could there be an imposter Arya when she's still alive? They can't just pose with her face when it's still hers??
That's what I was wondering...
aggietony2010
AG
quote:
She did drink the water from the death pool though. Wonder if that has any implications.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

http://quartermaester.info/
(Interactive map)

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/11/10/game-of-thrones-fan-tabulates-distances-between-places-in-westeros/
(some users worked out some distances using the lengtrh of the wall = 149 pixels = 300 miles (100 leauges)

It's about 3,000 miles (2,600 nautical miles) from Iron Islands to Volantis by this method... The average viking longship made between 5-15 knots depending on conditions. If we assume 10 knots average speed for the Asha / Theon fleet - that's 2,600 NM / (10 knots * 24 hours) = 11 days of sailing. Not too bad actually.

The distance from King's Landing to Riverrun I couldn't find directly, but it looks like about 450 miles eyeballing it... The average marching army can make about 10 miles (leisurely) per day up to 40 miles (pressing) per day. If we say 25 miles per day on average, that's 450 / 25 = 18 days of marching.

Winterfell to Castle Black is 650 miles. Winterfell to Riverrun is about 1500 miles. Brienne from the wall to Riverran is = 2150 miles. On horseback a person can cover 50-100 miles per day. Again the average of 75 miles a day would yield: 2,150 / 75 = 29 days riding.

So it's reasonable to conclude that Brienne will show up to Riverrun way after Jaime's Army. And that Asha and Theon would smoke everyone else to Volantis.

(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KAqa9wwODqaFkegqf8Si6fmuE55-M-GMIj0ZmcKUFxs/edit)

Where did you get 3000 miles from Iron Islands to Volantis from? Just curious. Eyeballing it (measuring with my fingers) if it is 2150 from the Wall to Riverrun. then it is about triple that from Iron Islands around the south of Westeros to Volantis.So about 6000 miles

That still makes it doable in 22 days presumably by the numbers you used.

Anyway. Not a big issue. Just humorous almost. By comparison to Brienne's journey - Littlefinger appeared to go from Runestone where he met with Robyn to Mole's Town where he met with Sansa in about a day and thats further than the wall to Riverrun.

I just have to consciously NOT pay attention to timelines.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, I have the same question but we do know they have her face already. Remember when "Jaqen" drinks the poison and dies? Arya rips off several faces and then she sees her face.
JCRiley09
AG
quote:

In the episode where she went blind, she saw a dead man with her face.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Your Right... Iron Islands to Volantis is 3,000 miles (I used a ruler this time),

But Winterfell to Riverrun is more like 1,100 miles - following the King's Road (not as the crow flies) So 1,100 + 650 = 1,750 / 75 m.a.d. on horseback = 24 days riding.

Ill change it above

The Iron islands are WAY south of the wall and Winterfell - probably 700-800 miles south of Winterfell. They are actually south of the Twins and parallel to Seagard
Stive
AG
quote:
Your Right... Iron Islands to Volantis is 3,000 miles (I used a ruler this time),

But Winterfell to Riverrun is more like 1,100 miles - following the King's Road (not as the crow flies) So 1,100 + 650 = 1,750 / 75 m.a.d. on horseback = 24 days riding.

Ill change it above

The Iron islands are WAY south of the wall and Winterfell - probably 700-800 miles south of Winterfell. They are actually south of the Twins and parallel to Seagard

Know how I know you have too much time on your hands?
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
quote:

Ill change it above

Know how I know you have too much time on your hands?
He is spreadsheet ag. he is well known for 2 things. His spreadsheets and not being allowed in the country during football season.
JJxvi
AG
quote:
I feel like I'm one of the few who is never fazed by the "travel time discrepancies" that seem to keep coming up. Everyone here has read the books (presumably), so everyone should have at least some expectation that the passage of time as it looks on the show doesn't necessarily match up with how the stories are edited together-- the same way the stories as told in the books don't necessarily line up chronologically.

Who's to say that everything happening with Bran north of the Wall and Dany in Vaes Dothrak are even happening in the same year? Jamie got to Riverrun before Brienne could, but maybe Jamie left King's Landing a 2 months before Brienne even got to the Wall with Sansa?

Long rant short-- we're worrying way too much about how long it takes people to get places when we don't even have a measure of time to go off. Just enjoy the fact that we have so much action this season that this "problem" even comes up.

Its best not to think about it, even when you're talking about the books only, because Martin has a really warped sense of the size of his continents. Westeros is like South America, Essos must be pretty much like Asia, but he's got characters wandering all over them in short times.
Swing Your Saber
The writers and producers have explicitly said the show time lines do not align with each other in an episode. The only time you know charterers are in the same time is when they are physically together (or have some common event like a red shooting star). As has been stated, this is done for dramatic effect and story telling. For example chronologically Little Finger may have marshaled the Knights of the Vale before Briene rescued Theon and Sansa in the first episode of seasons six; however, it was not shown until later for pacing and narrative effect.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
From the show thread: (THEORY NOT SPOILER)

quote:
It wasn't Arya it was Jaqen wearing her face
1. Walked like Jaqen, wore hair parted down the middle, threw the coin with the right hand (Arya is left handed)
Agree it's a likelihood

2. Was too obvious. Arya would have never asked for a cabin. The money was thrown around too casually, even if she was capable of stealing such a sum.
Okay
3. Lingering shot of statue on the bridge, maybe sorry to leave. Arya hasn't been there that long, doesn't have a particular fondness for the place. Could have stowed away as a cabin boy too easily
Okay- flimsy but okay
4. Jaqen's life belongs to her. He promised her 3 lives to take for the Red God. He took 2, then she named him as her 3rd. Instead of dying he bargained and agreed to help her escape but then when he left he gave her the coin and told her to come to Braavos. And he gave her the words Valar Morghulis, all men must die. Knowing what we know about their relationship with death there would have been no bargain really. He believes in death
Don't agree here
His life is owed to the Red God. No bargain can change his fate and he knows it. He willingly dies in Arya's place, wearing her face, to fulfill the contract on his own life. He also was testing the Waif who did not fulfill the contract correctly by doing a belly wound instead of killing quickly. Waif is going to go out before he is gone officially. Scenes from next week show Waif running/ chasing possible real Arya
Disagree - I think it's Jaqen; but I don't think he dies. I think the waif does though.

Arya is left handed - see when she first meets Jaqen:
benchmark
AG
So who was shown leaping off a roof to a street scene below (in the previews for next week)???? Could it be Jaqen coming to save Arya/and or kill the waif? The waif was also shown again with a bloody knife.

Thomas Ford 91
AG
Arya Thoughts...

1) Mortal Wound: You medical-types correct me if I'm wrong, but if stabbed in the gut 3 times (with one twist) and dumped in a canal is a mortal wound. Even if it happens right outside of a modern American hospital, your chances of survival are pretty slim. In a medieval city, the chance is less than zero. The only way she comes back from that is magic. The only magic we see in Braavos is the FM.

2) Girl running in Trailer: we see a girl running from behind in the [review and we are supposed to believe that is Arya. I don't think it is. That is not the same person that was stabbed.

3) She was asking for it: Arya is dressed as a Braavosi man. From what we've seen, a woman wearing pants in public would stick out like a sore thumb. She is an unarmed sore thumb wandering around in public approaching strangers and telling them she is a Westerosi who wants to go home. Seriously?

4) Arya Dies: I don't see this happening in the books, but I could see this happening in the show. In the books, Arya is growing into a disciplined trained ninja with a strong mental connection to Nymeria. She is a bit of a medieval superhero in the making. She has a future that can develop over the final 2,000 pages. In the show, her storyline is going nowhere. She is failed out of trained ninja school in her freshman year. She never connects with her wolf. What exactly will she contribute back in Westeros? What villain can she hope to kill? Recall, there are maybe 16 episodes left. That's roughly 960 minutes. If they contribute 25% of each remaining episodes to the Arya story, that's only 4 hours. Arya is essentially the same person she was on S1E1. That sore thumb is going to to develop into something else? How do they develop that to a satisfying conclusion in 4 hours? Killing her now would save time and be the Season 7 Red Wedding. A dead Arya is truly "No One", which explains the Episode 8 title. I'm all for it.

5) Arya Lives: This would irritate me. She was mortally wounded. I know it is fantasy, but there is no chance she survives that wound. Unless magic saves her. That would leave us with two of the five characters that are expected to survive to the end of the story being stabbed to death and saved from or brought back from death by magic. That's weak storytelling.

6) A Big Twist: That wasn't Arya. it would explain the sore thumb issues. But, how was it not Arya? The person stabbed is less than 72 hours from death, whoever they are. Did Jaqen sacrifice himself for Arya? I don't see why he would do that. Is the dual personality theory true, and the Waif was actually Arya killing someone else that she imagined was Arya? Did Jaqen put an Arya face on someone else to test the Waif (edit - the FM are capable of glamor)? Is the person that booked passage the same person that was stabbed? This is a lot of twist to wrap up in the next 3 hours of television.

My Conclusion - Arya and Jaqen are working together to test the Waif. Jaqen has some fun magic that will restore Arya to perfect health. They then lure the Waif to a final showdown with Arya in a location that favors Arya's skills. Arya kills the Waif and gets promoted to The Waif. She continues her arc in becoming a FM.

SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:

See this clip from Season 5; Arya is confronted by Jaqen and the Waif after taking the wrong life. The Waif puts her in an arm lock from behind. Jaqen drinks the poison and dies. Arya is distraught. Jaqen then reveals himself as the Waif behind Arya. Arya pulls the face off the dead person and reveals a new face. She repeats this face-removal until she sees her own face - how did they get her face without her dying then?

i.e. there is precedent.
redline248
AG
The only thing wrong with that theory is the idea that Jaqen still owes Arya a life. Instead of taking his own life as the 3rd, he killed a bunch of guards to allow Arya to escape. He gave her more than the 3 that she saved.
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
The writers and producers have explicitly said the show time lines do not align with each other in an episode. The only time you know charterers are in the same time is when they are physically together (or have some common event like a red shooting star). As has been stated, this is done for dramatic effect and story telling. For example chronologically Little Finger may have marshaled the Knights of the Vale before Briene rescued Theon and Sansa in the first episode of seasons six; however, it was not shown until later for pacing and narrative effect.
yeah Littlefinger left kings landing in like episode 6 of season 5 and had zero screen time after that so to keep the timeline accurate they could have had his scene in the vale late season 5 instead of waiting until early season 6
InternetFan02
AG
-What will it take for the Faceless assassins to leave arya alone? Will it stop when she kills the waif?

-if they kill her can they then send the waif as fake Arya to westoros to infiltrate somewhere? At least that would advance her story instead of just having her die.
McInnis 03
AG
quote:
From the show thread: (THEORY NOT SPOILER)

quote:
It wasn't Arya it was Jaqen wearing her face
1. Walked like Jaqen, wore hair parted down the middle, threw the coin with the right hand (Arya is left handed)
Agree it's a likelihood

2. Was too obvious. Arya would have never asked for a cabin. The money was thrown around too casually, even if she was capable of stealing such a sum.
Okay
3. Lingering shot of statue on the bridge, maybe sorry to leave. Arya hasn't been there that long, doesn't have a particular fondness for the place. Could have stowed away as a cabin boy too easily
Okay- flimsy but okay
4. Jaqen's life belongs to her. He promised her 3 lives to take for the Red God. He took 2, then she named him as her 3rd. Instead of dying he bargained and agreed to help her escape but then when he left he gave her the coin and told her to come to Braavos. And he gave her the words Valar Morghulis, all men must die. Knowing what we know about their relationship with death there would have been no bargain really. He believes in death
Don't agree here
His life is owed to the Red God. No bargain can change his fate and he knows it. He willingly dies in Arya's place, wearing her face, to fulfill the contract on his own life. He also was testing the Waif who did not fulfill the contract correctly by doing a belly wound instead of killing quickly. Waif is going to go out before he is gone officially. Scenes from next week show Waif running/ chasing possible real Arya
Disagree - I think it's Jaqen; but I don't think he dies. I think the waif does though.

Arya is left handed - see when she first meets Jaqen:

I THOUGHT THE WAY SHE WAS WALKING WAS ODD! That's why!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
The only thing wrong with that theory is the idea that Jaqen still owes Arya a life. Instead of taking his own life as the 3rd, he killed a bunch of guards to allow Arya to escape. He gave her more than the 3 that she saved.
as I posted. I disagree with the Jaqen owes her theory.

I really, think we don't know who's who - and it was a setup of the Waif. The gut-wounded Arya is not the real Arya (right handed, walks differently, was brash / overt about getting home, didn't have needle, etc.) I also don't see how they wounded Arya would be able to make that leap that was see in the preview for Episode 8.
benchmark
AG
Couple of comments to your post:

Arya has parted her hair down the middle before.

Throwing down the money with her right hand could be simply staging (from where she was standing next to the table, it would be an awkward camera angle to do it with her left hand).

Still thinking about the whole "I'll take a cabin and we leave in the morning" speech. She now has a plan and purpose and is ready to take on the role of Lady Stark? To purposely (really Jaqen in disguise) draw out/test the waif?

Fun to think about while we wait for next Sunday!
Swing Your Saber
quote:
quote:

Winterfell to Castle Black is 650 miles. Winterfell to Riverrun is about 1100 miles. Brienne from the wall to Riverran is = 1,750 miles. On horseback a person can cover 50-100 miles per day. Again the average of 75 miles a day would yield: 1,750 / 75 = 24 days riding.

The Romans moved like greased lighting marching 20-30 miles a day. Two thousand years later Lee & Jackson moving 30+ miles a day repeatedly surprised the Union and European observers who thought it impossible. Armies making a single 30 mile surge happens but sustained 25 miles a day is a break neck pace for almost any pre-industrial age army (and most modern armies as well).

The Mongol hoards with 3+ horses per rider shocked the world moving 100 miles a day. Most of Europe, the middle east, and China legitimately thought it impossible. Contemporary writing reflects the overwhelming belief that these were false reports, or the mongol force was much bigger than it actually was because how could they be in such distant locations so quickly. Middle aged mounted units could typically manage 30-50 miles a day. Contemporarily it was semi impressive when King Richard II moved about 70 miles in a day with multiple mounts.
ham98
I want the hound and arya to both live so HBO can start a series called the Wolf and the Hound, adventures in Westeros(kind of like a present day Dunk and Egg)
smokeythebear
AG
I think people overestimate the terribleness of Little Finger marrying Sansa off to Ramsey. Hindsight is 20/20, but at the time Little Finger did it, she had just turned over a new leaf and had been acting like she wanted to take some agency for herself. Little Finger knows Roose as an *******, but also a very calculating and well thought-out strategist. He married the Frey girl and he was good to her because he knew it would be good for his ability to control the north. He even chastised Ramsey after Sansa got away for treating her like a toy and running her off. Had Ramsey acted more like his father, then Sansa could be queen of Winterfell right now.

I know the rape scene got a whole lot of negative attention, but there are TONS of arranged marriages around GoT world. Sansa was originally excited to marry Joffrey, but then she changed her mind. No one was mad at her dad for arranging THAT marriage. Meanwhile, Margery decided she was willing to marry Joffrey because she wanted to be THE queen. Likewise, Dani was married off to a complete stranger and was raped multiple times, but that marriage is even now THE defining thing about her and her story as a conqueror. Walder Frey marries off as many of his daughters as he can. Do you think they are only to upstanding citizens? Saying Ramsey is unfit for someone to marry isn't accurate because the kennel master's daughter would have LOVED to marry him. It's all perspective, and Little Finger made a calculated risk and it didn't pay off. He should CERTAINLY be in Sansa's dog house, but I don't think his actions are proof that he is out to kill her, I think he WAS attempting to help her outsmart her enemies.

Disclaimer: I'm a show only person, so Sansa appears to me MUCH older than I suppose many book readers imagine her. I totally get that this can cause a discrepancy.
benchmark
AG
Just thought of something - We all thought it strange that Arya went from hiding in the dark ready for battle to strolling around, calling attention to herself...maybe this is another argument for the theory that the Arya that was stabbed was not the real Arya at all...the real Arya is still hiding out...
First Page Last Page
Page 120 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.