***Official GAME OF THRONES Season 6 (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)***

841,085 Views | 6639 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by hunter2012
OnlyForNow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm just now getting around to reading Dunk and Egg and just last night finished the Ashwood Meadows Tourney story.

Really good!

I'll admit keeping the brothers and their kids all straight is kinda difficult.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
F-ck Cersei and Theon for all time.
I hear you on Theon, but look at it from his perspective. He was never really a Stark, and when his father is ****ting on him for not being a true Ironborn, what could he do? He was forced to pick a side, and yes, he picked the "wrong" side, but can you blame him for it?

I won't defend taking Winterfell, that was a bull**** move, especially killing the two boys. But I think his regret has been made abundantly clear.
PatAg
AG
quote:
All that being said; If it does come down to a Trail by 7 - I expect there to be some odd people involved, some surprises, and nobody comes out happy with the result!

Something like Jon Snow fighting for Cersei and dying after he wins from some fatal wound sounds about right.
0% chance Jon Snow would fight to protect Cersei...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can someone explain the Howland Reed / High Sparrow theory? Is there any evidence supporting that?

If true, was it all an elaborate plot for revenge for Ned Stark?
redline248
AG
There is no evidence. There is some description of Howland, and the Crannogmen in general, about being small in stature. There is description of the high sparrow being small and going barefoot.

That's it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ooh, and I just remembered Howland Reed is the only person alive who knows who Jon Snow really is. Maybe he could help get him on the throne.

Suddenly I'm very intrigued by this.
wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:
All that being said; If it does come down to a Trail by 7 - I expect there to be some odd people involved, some surprises, and nobody comes out happy with the result!

Something like Jon Snow fighting for Cersei and dying after he wins from some fatal wound sounds about right.
Agreed. In what world would Jon want to fight for the woman who let her son kill his "father", abuse his sister and whose family helped plot his brother's murder as well as kill loads of his friends.
Ozmandius
Alt Shift X - HR = HS Theory

Alt Shift X does a great job of analyzing most of the popular theories out there. He presents textual evidence for and against the particular theory in an objective way. Definitely look at some of his videos if you want to learn more about a particular theory.
PMD03
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Agreed. In what world would Jon want to fight for the woman who let her son kill his "father", abuse his sister and whose family helped plot his brother's murder as well as kill loads of his friends.
I thought Cersei told Joffrey to make Ned take the black. When he disobeyed her and killed him anyways she realized he was nuts.

Of course it has been lots of years since I read the first book. That may not have been how it went down.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, he'd have a better claim than a hell of a lot of others. Starting with Tommen.
redline248
AG
That dude lays it out perfectly. The part about the religions is the biggest flaw, in my view.

Also, it pisses me off that he says "haych" instead of "aych"
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
Ooh, and I just remembered Howland Reed is the only person alive who knows who Jon Snow really is. Maybe he could help get him on the throne.

Suddenly I'm very intrigued by this.

How is Jon entitled to the throne? He is still illegitimate even if all his parents are known and noble.

Not if Rhaegar married Lyanna and Targs sometime practiced polygamy. Would take a lot to prove obviously but not out of the question.

Plus there is always the whoever wins decides the rules thing. You defeat everyone else then you legitmacy doesn't really matter.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Yes, so technically his name would be Jon Waters as a ******* of the crownlands.

What happens when Snow/Ice (Starks) meets Fire (Targaryen)? Water. Jon Waters.

A Song of Ice and Fire = Jon Waters

Also, a great council can resolve the issue of his *******y...
wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I thought Cersei told Joffrey to make Ned take the black. When he disobeyed her and killed him anyways she realized he was nuts.

Of course it has been lots of years since I read the first book. That may not have been how it went down.
Jon won't see it that way
SoTXAg09
AG
quote:
We dislike the Sparrows and the Faith Militant because Martin wants us to dislike them.

But why? They are humble servants of the Gods, who cast down a corrupt church hierarchy and expended much of the Faith's wealth to care for the poor and displaced.

I don't hate them. How can you hate those who oppose the Lannister corruption? Their methods may be harsh at times, but no worse than most of that time.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
quote:
We dislike the Sparrows and the Faith Militant because Martin wants us to dislike them.

But why? They are humble servants of the Gods, who cast down a corrupt church hierarchy and expended much of the Faith's wealth to care for the poor and displaced.
I don't hate them. How can you hate those who oppose the Lannister corruption? Their methods may be harsh at times, but no worse than most of that time.
If the Faith of the Seven had not been engaging in the same practices BEFORE the Sparrow Coup, there would not be tower cells and dungeons in Baelor's Sept.
The Debt
quote:
Well, he'd have a better claim than a hell of a lot of others. Starting with Tommen.

Tommen is the head of house baratheon. With the pureblood targaryens killed and exiled, Robert actually had the best claim to the throne thanks to his mother or grandmother being a targaryen (this was kinda mentioned in s1). (You and I know Stannis was truly next in line, but joff and Tommen are the legal heirs).

Even if jon is a targ, he would still be a basturd.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
Can someone explain the Howland Reed / High Sparrow theory? Is there any evidence supporting that?

If true, was it all an elaborate plot for revenge for Ned Stark?

Basically, the Sparrows kind of come out of nowhere in one of the books, similar to how they come out of nowhere in the TV show. The HS never gives out his name, and since people want mysteries explained, they jumped on a theory that it must Howland Reed.

It might be possible, but I doubt it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

Tommen is the head of house baratheon. With the pureblood targaryens killed and exiled, Robert actually had the best claim to the throne thanks to his mother or grandmother being a targaryen (this was kinda mentioned in s1). (You and I know Stannis was truly next in line, but joff and Tommen are the legal heirs).

Again....NOT if Rhaegar married Lyanna. Entirely possible.
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

If they got married, did they do it in front of a maester or septon? Someone, as of yet unnamed? Would that be a cop-out for Martin to introduce someone else that knows the truth?
Goose06
AG
I am considering buying the full audiobook set and listening on my commute (40 minutes both ways). Has anyone on this board done that? Is it impossible to follow this complicated story if you are listening in the car?

Which by the way, its 198 hours to listen to all 5 books! Wow, even listening every day both ways it would still take me ~30 weeks.
The Debt
quote:
Except bigamy isnt acceptable in the Faith. Rhaegar was married to Elia Martell of Dorne and sired two kids. Any "marriage" to Lyanna still makes Jon illegit.

Legitimacy is a question of legality and R+L=J has no legal standing.

On the other hand, if Jon is one of the three-heads of the Targaryen house reborn, then his blood -> power, power trumps legality. But even so Jon's political power is linked to his two other targaryens.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Yes. Like Tommen.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I am considering buying the full audiobook set and listening on my commute (40 minutes both ways). Has anyone on this board done that? Is it impossible to follow this complicated story if you are listening in the car?

Which by the way, its 198 hours to listen to all 5 books! Wow, even listening every day both ways it would still take me ~30 weeks.
I have done it. It is awesome.
jenn96
AG
Re: Jon being a legal heir - The World of Ice and Fire goes into more detail about the legality of Targarian "plural" marriage - and basically, it's never been really accepted in Westeros even when the Targs ruled completely. So even if Rhaegar and Lyanna married each other legally, their son wouldn't be generally acknowledged as having any claim to the throne or anything else. And bringing up Tommen is a good point, except that there is a world of difference between being an acknowledged heir in the line of succession, rumored to be a *******, and being an acknowledged and named ******* claiming to be a trueborn heir to the throne.

But really, none of this matters. This isn't a story where Jon shows up claiming to be a bona fide prince and everyone goes "Yay! The Game of Thrones is over!! Here is our king!!" Rhaegar Targariian HIMSELF could show up and he would still have to fight for the throne at this point. I can't believe anyone whose read/watched this far thinks this thing gets concluded that cleanly. It may be a marriage in the end - Elizabeth of York did marry Henry Tudor after all - but only after a massive amount of fighting between everyone and after all the other major players are dead. Not to mention the Walkers are going to be involved which changes everything.

I honestly think that finding out about R+L=J won't affect the Iron Throne one bit. It will affect Jon, and hopefully bring him a measure of peace about who he is and how dearly Ned protected him all those years, and it may help him recognize some unrealized magic that the mingling of two ancient, magical bloodlines gives him, from dragonriding to being a savior or a sacrifice. But if Jon ends up on the throne - married to Dany, or anyone else - it will be because of what he does against the Walkers, not any type of genealogical claim.
Goose06
AG
quote:
quote:

Ok, this is coming from a guy who loves the show but I have not read (or listened) to a fictional novel cover to cover in more than 10 years. I am not a reader, hence the idea to try the audio books which right now are on sale for $36 for all 5.
aggie98infl
AG
Where have you found them for $36? I just search and am not finding them for anything close to that.
Streetfighter 02
AG
If you're on an unlimited data plan you could stream them via youtube.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ok, this is coming from a guy who loves the show but I have not read (or listened) to a fictional novel cover to cover in more than 10 years. I am not a reader, hence the idea to try the audio books which right now are on sale for $36 for all 5.
$36 for $5 is a nice deal. If you sign up for Audible I think they give you a free book (maybe more) for a certain # of days.
Goose06
AG
quote:
Where have you found them for $36? I just search and am not finding them for anything close to that.
$34.99 actually. On iTunes. Here is what is included:

A Song of Ice and Fire Series
5 Book Set: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast of Crows, a Dance with Dragons

I assume this is the entire book series?
aggietony2010
AG
That's the price for the ebooks (to read on iPad for example), not the audio books.
Goose06
AG
quote:
That's the price for the ebooks (to read on iPad for example), not the audio books.
Ah...
aggie98infl
AG
quote:
Yeah, I'm not seeing a set of the audio books and each one ranges from $41 - $53 individually. They are available on Audible, but I haven't looked closely into how that works after the free trial. Obviously 30 days wouldn't be enough to get through them.
G Martin 87
AG
Make sure you get the versions narrated by Roy Dotrice.
First Page Last Page
Page 45 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.