Comics.

10,371 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AboveAndBeyond
AboveAndBeyond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anything new today? I grabbed Secret Wars Journal and 2099 to check out.
R0GUE
AG
I'm gonna grab Inferno for sure. And X-Men '92 is available for Digital purchase.
AboveAndBeyond
How's Inferno? I almost picked it up.
West Texan
AG
quote:
I'm gonna grab Inferno for sure. And X-Men '92 is available for Digital purchase.

I'm waiting for X-Men '92 to come out in print. Haven't made it to the store this week, but in probably picking up Inferno. Gonna definitely get X-Tinction Agenda, Years of Future Past, and Age of Apocaplypse.
Jasomania
AG
The first issue of Fight Club 2 came out yesterday as well. It's actually written by Chuck Palahniuk.

Dark Horse is the only major publisher that doesn't play nice with Comixology so if you get your stuff digitally you didn't see it on there, you'll have to either get it physically at a comic book shop or get it digitally on the separate Dark Horse App.
fig96
AG
quote:
The first issue of Fight Club 2 came out yesterday as well. It's actually written by Chuck Palahniuk.

Dark Horse is the only major publisher that doesn't play nice with Comixology so if you get your stuff digitally you didn't see it on there, you'll have to either get it physically at a comic book shop or get it digitally on the separate Dark Horse App.
Was actually going to post and ask if anyone had picked it up yet, I'm intrigued. The artist does some more mainstream books as well (Batgirl and a few other DC titles).

Unrelated: is there something I can read to get caught up on what's happening with Batman and this mech suit, or is that all part of Convergence?
R0GUE
AG
quote:
I had to work late last night and couldn't get to the shop. I probably won't be able to get there until Saturday, but once I read it I'll let you know.
AboveAndBeyond
I'm only on issue #2 of convergence so I'm not sure what Mech Suit you're talking about. I would assume its part of the series. They have the main series and then a series for A LOT of characters. You could probably just pick up the batman books though.

I read A Force this morning. That's probably going to be a semi cool battle world.
fig96
AG
This article touches on what I'm talking about, apparently info was revealed in the Free Comic Book Day Divergence issue (which I don't think is available online anywhere). The story will pick up in Batman #41, a title that I already read, was just wondering if there was more of it anywhere else.
fig96
AG
And I take part of that back, it wasn't there a week or two ago but you can now grab Divergence #1 on Comixology.
AboveAndBeyond
I see. I'll have to check it out later!
fig96
AG
Slight warning, bit of a Batman: Endgame spoiler in there. Which, if anyone is a Bat-fan and hasn't read it, is a pretty fantastic story.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
quote:
I had to work late last night and couldn't get to the shop. I probably won't be able to get there until Saturday, but once I read it I'll let you know.

I read it tonight. Pretty good, it felt like a "what if" issue with an interesting premise: Illyana is a captive of the demons who have taken over Manhattan. Cyclops gives Colossus permission to make a rescue attempt once a year in return for service protecting the border from demon attacks.

I'd recommend it. Old Man Logan was great too.
AboveAndBeyond
I've always liked colossus so I'll have to check it out!
bearamedic99
AG
A new Inferno? I have not kept up well with comics but thought you were talking about when Madelyne gets taken over by the goblin queen. Or did I miss this Colossus plot from the first Inferno?
R0GUE
AG
quote:
A new Inferno? I have not kept up well with comics but thought you were talking about when Madelyne gets taken over by the goblin queen. Or did I miss this Colossus plot from the first Inferno?

So I don't know how much you know about what's currently happening at Marvel but this version of Inferno is new. It's part of Marvel's Secret Wars/Battleworld crossover, which is sort of an Age of Apocalypse-style line-wide event, where characters from all over Marvel's timeline have been plucked to live and fight it out in a world ruled by Doom.

This new comic then, imagines that the demons won out in Inferno and that world is one of Doom's many baronies. You don't have to worry much about Doom in this story though, it's all about the X-Men and their attempt to contain the demons inside of Manhattan. Colossus stars, and I'm not really spoiling anything by saying Madelyne appears in this, since she is featured on the cover.

If you are looking for a nostalgic feel-good X-Men story this is a great one to grab.
AboveAndBeyond
Lots of good ones out today! I'm looking forward to Spiderman Renew Your Vows and 1872.
fig96
AG
Just got the digital copy of Armor Wars as I'm a fan of the artist, seems like another odd alternate world kinda thing but interesting.

Can anyone explain exactly what DC is doing? I know Convergence is a major event but they're apparently also restarting a bunch of titles with #1's?
AboveAndBeyond
See from what I read, Convergence and Secret Wars was supposed to be some HUGE cross over. I finished Convergence but was expecting an actual cross over..... As far as your question, I don't know enough about DC to answer
AliasMan02
AG
Marvel just could not leave Ultimate alone, could they? They rebooted or rebenchmarked that several times. I guess it's for the best that Secret Wars kills it.
fig96
AG
quote:
See from what I read, Convergence and Secret Wars was supposed to be some HUGE cross over. I finished Convergence but was expecting an actual cross over..... As far as your question, I don't know enough about DC to answer
Yup, me neither. I read Batman and Detective Comics and that's about it.

Also, Groot #1 out today, drawn by Disney story artist Brian Kessinger.
AboveAndBeyond
Holy ****. I went to get the new Secret Wars today. I wanted the issues with Doom on the cover......$16?! Bump that.
Aggie94
AG
Looking at the teaser for the "All New, All Different Marvel", I'm thinking I'm finally going to stop buying comics. Notice no mutants/X-Men. I've also read that the Hulk will be something different, as well.

Dro07
AG
quote:
Looking at the teaser for the "All New, All Different Marvel", I'm thinking I'm finally going to stop buying comics. Notice no mutants/X-Men. I've also read that the Hulk will be something different, as well.

who is the chick in the thor outfit? Looks terrible... jk
AboveAndBeyond
Its Thor..... They are killing him off for her.

Hulk is actually pretty cool. The one I read was him as some giant robot thing with a gladiator captain america that has a pet Dino.

Spiderman is also gone, kinda. Peter is leaving but Miles is staying.

Edit. Peter isn't leaving leaving, I don't think. They just started a new series where he is poor or something?
Dro07
AG
quote:
Its Thor..... They are killing him off for her.

i know i was joking
AboveAndBeyond
Did they already kill Thor? Dooms army is ALL Thors , even a Groot one?
AliasMan02
AG
Why is Cap an old man? I'm sorta out of it.

They wouldn't have these problems if they let heroes age and then leave the limelight in a natural fashion.

I need to dig it up, but I had a mini fight with Bendis when they killed off Ultimate Spider-Man and I dared to suggest that it might just be a ploy and that Peter might come back. Which of course he did. They really can't leave their comfort zone and try new things. That's probably as much a dig on comics readers/buyers as the creatives, though.
jeffk
AG
Are there two Spider-men simultaneously?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

Creatively, they're stuck with both imo. Can't ditch Peter Parker who is Spidey to the world (and in the MCU), and can't ditch Morales because they heralded him as such a progressive triumph.
Jasomania
AG
quote:
Why is Cap an old man? I'm sorta out of it.

In Captain America issue 25 he had the super soldier serium removed from his blood by Iron Nail and the effect was it caused him to rapidly age. So that is why Sam Wilson is Captain America now.
fig96
AG
quote:
At the moment there's like...20. A recent Spidey arc involved the Spider-Verse which had Spider-men/peoples/creatures from a variety of different universes fighting a common enemy, and they've since spun that off into several new books for those characters.

Amazing Spider-Man is the "classic" Spider-Man book and as of right that's Peter Parker. Miles Morales is Ultimate Spider-Man.
AboveAndBeyond
Here's what they are doing with classic Peter

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/52375/amazing_spider-man_renew_your_vows_2015_1
AboveAndBeyond
Who's the girl (?) With the huge hands, on the right?
R0GUE
AG
quote:
Who's the girl (?) With the huge hands, on the right?
The new "Ms. Marvel" - since Carol Danvers is now going by Captain Marvel. This version is an Inhuman, who is also a Muslim teenage girl named Kamala Khan.

And in-before, ewwwww get PC-ness out of my comics, it's actually a really good, well-written book.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.