Biggest Oscar snub for an actor/actress

7,478 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
Harry Stone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I normally don't watch the Oscars because it has become too political, but I do look at the results. What actors/actresses, in your opinion, got the biggest snub at the Oscars?

I still think to this day, and I am not a fan of his, but Sean Penn's role in I Am Sam should've won over Denzel in Training Day. Even Russell Crowe in Beautiful Mind should've bested Denzel that year.
JonLobb
I wasn't happy about Daniel Day Lewis for Lincoln over Joaquin Phoenix for The Master in 2013.

Jeff Bridges for Crazy Heart over Jeremy Renner for The Hurt Locker in 2010 was no good either
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Kurt Russell,Big Trouble in Little China
Aggie1391
Not mine, but:

The more I think about it, the more upset I am that Bradley Cooper was snubbed at The Oscars on Sunday.

Hear me out. I know Cooper did not portray the kind of character or take on the kind of role that the snobs in Hollywood typically care for--it didn't fit the traditional "Best Actor" mold. There was lots of violence in the film; he spent most of the movie brandishing a gun, and yes, the character was portrayed as something of a superhero in a situation with much bigger political issues at play that the movie only grazed.

But his sensitive portrayal of the scars his character endured--both physical and emotional--brought an unexpected pathos to a character who could otherwise have easily just been a cartoon character. Yes, he used a firearm. Yes, his partner was a little wooden. Yes, the accent was a little distracting at times. But none of those things should have disqualified Cooper from gaining the well-deserved recognition for breathing such life into a character that enthralled us all.

You know it. I know it. Deep down in their hearts, the Oscar voters know it. This year's best performance was Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon.
COOL LASER FALCON
Got me hook line and sinker.

I haven't seen Theory of Everything, so I'm speaking out of turn, but I thought Keaton was the most deserving out of those that I saw. Playing a role like that seems like such a greater challenge than playing someone like Stephen Hawking. Cooper was also great (in American Sniper and GOtG).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dicaprio in Revolutionary Road. That was a performance good enough to win, yet he wasn't even nominated. Sean Penn's performance in Milk was good, but it wasn't really that great. He won because of the prestige factor of playing a gay guy.
Professor Frick
AG
Beyond actors, the cinematographer Roger Deakins has never won. That's insane.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is that the guy that did Skyfall?

Whoever did that was SERIOUSLY snubbed. That is the best looking film of the past decade.
Saxsoon
AG
I haven't seen redmayne . But I thought it would be closer between Keaton and Cooper. Cooper especially impressed me because his sniper role was the first time I didn't recognize playboy Bradley Cooper. I thought he melted into that role really really well.
twenty two ags
you never go full retard.
Scientific
AG
Training Day was still a great film. and Denzel was snubbed for Malcolm X and Hurricane. Penn won for Milk, which no one remembers now.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
Is that the guy that did Skyfall?

Whoever did that was SERIOUSLY snubbed. That is the best looking film of the past decade.

Yup. Among his best work:

Skyfall
No Country for Old Men
Fargo
Shawshank
Prisoners
True Grit
the Reader
Revolutionary Road
Assassination of Jesse James
man who wasn't there
O brother where art thou

He has filmed IMO some of the best looking movies of the past 25 years. 12 nominations (including for Unbroken this year). No wins.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
Training Day was still a great film. and Denzel was snubbed for Malcolm X and Hurricane. Penn won for Milk, which no one remembers now.

How he didn't win for Malcolm X, I'll never understand. Probably the best acting of his career.
Mathguy64
AG
Tom Hanks - Saving Private Ryan and Cast Away. Either and/or both
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
1972 Best Supporting Actor:

Joel Grey - Cabaret as the M.C.
Eddie Albert - The Heartbreak Kid as Mr. Corcoran
James Caan - The Godfather as Santino "Sonny" Corleone
Robert Duvall - The Godfather as Tom Hagen
Al Pacino - The Godfather as Michael Corleone
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
1972 Best Supporting Actor:

Joel Grey - Cabaret as the M.C.
Eddie Albert - The Heartbreak Kid as Mr. Corcoran
James Caan - The Godfather as Santino "Sonny" Corleone
Robert Duvall - The Godfather as Tom Hagen
Al Pacino - The Godfather as Michael Corleone
That is just shameful.

I bet Duvall and Pacino split some votes, that might've actually hurt them. Sort of like when Leo was going up against himself in the same category. Actually I think that was at the Globes, but yeah.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
quote:

How he didn't win for Malcolm X, I'll never understand. Probably the best acting of his career.

Especially considering he lost to Al Pacino from Scent of a Woman.
FTACof2011
AG
Val Kilmer in Tombstone
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:
Dicaprio in Revolutionary Road. That was a performance good enough to win, yet he wasn't even nominated. Sean Penn's performance in Milk was good, but it wasn't really that great. He won because of the prestige factor of playing a gay guy.
Mickey Rourke should have won that year.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
powerbelly
AG
Ralph Finnes losing best supporting in Schindler's List.
Scientific
AG
Lt Dan and Jules also lost the year they were nominated for Supporting. I forgot about that one.

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Nicholson not even being NOMINATED for "The Shining"

Peter O' Toole not winning for "Lawrence of Arabia". Gregory Peck won it for "To Kill A Mockingbird" which an amazing film, but O'Toole's performance was one for the ages.

"Terms of Endearment" winning over "The Right Stuff".

Cher winning for "Moonstruck" over Glenn Close in "Fatal Attraction"

"Driving Miss Daisy" winning over "My Left Foot"

Tommy Lee Jones winning for "The Fugitive" over DiCaprio for "What's eating Gilbert Grape", Ralph Fiennes in "Schindler's List", and Pete Postlethwaite for "In The Name Of The Father". All three of those guys gave MUCH more deserving performances than Jones.

"Crash" winning Best Picture. In my mind the singular WORST movie to ever win Best Picture. I still fail to understand how that trite, cliched POS even got nominated. The answer, of course, is because it's Hollywood's multicultural, white guilt, wet dream, but I digress.
powerbelly
AG
quote:
Nicholson not even being NOMINATED for "The Shining"
I may be in the minority, but I feel like he did not do a good job in The Shining.

To be the character was much more subtle in the book, where everyone could tell Jack was crazy right off the bat.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:
Lt Dan and Jules also lost the year they were nominated for Supporting. I forgot about that one.

Yeah, but do you remember who won? Landau in "Ed Wood". Very hard to get upset about that one.
pfo
AG
Last night we watched "The Theory of Everything". Eddie Redmayne did a fantastic job and he was as deserving as anyone.

But I thought Bradly Cooper did a fantastic job too and we were disappointed American Sniper didn't win more Hollywierd Trophies but it sure won the hearts of Americans!
aggie93
AG
Have no issue with Denzel winning in Training Day. That was a haunting performance.

Haven't seen Birdman but it's hard to convince me that Keaton playing an actor that is a former Superhero character trying to do something to get out of the shadow of that character was a huge leap for him, esp when surrounded by an incredible cast and part of a movie that won Screenplay, Director, and Picture. Doesn't mean he wasn't great but he didn't have to stretch anything like Cooper or Redmayne who had to play far more difficult characters.

Hard to top that '72 Best Supporting Actor triple snub of the Godfather characters, especially looking in hindsight.

I'd put Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York losing to Adrien Brody for The Pianist on the list. Personally I thought that may have been Lewis's best performance.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Last night we watched "The Theory of Everything". Eddie Redmayne did a fantastic job and he was as deserving as anyone.

But I thought Bradly Cooper did a fantastic job too and we were disappointed American Sniper didn't win more Hollywierd Trophies but it sure won the hearts of Americans!

I'm a huge fan of Clint Eastwood and really, really enjoyed American Sniper., but it didn't deserve to win much.

The only thing I would've agreed with it winning is Cooper for Best Actor, but I still haven't seen The Theory Of Everything yet. I thought he was more deserving than Cumberbatch and Keaton, and I loved both of their performances.

I get that it resonated with a lot of people, and because of that it won the box office... but I don't really think you can say Sniper got snubbed.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:
I'd put Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York losing to Adrien Brody for The Pianist on the list. Personally I thought that may have been Lewis's best performance.
I'm a HUGE DDL fan but I disagree with you on this one. I think Brody deserved that award. Fantastic movie and performance.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm a HUGE DDL fan but I disagree with you on this one. I think Brody deserved that award. Fantastic movie and performance.

Yeah I agree... DDL was fantastic, but Brody was amazing in that role. I think looking back now and seeing how terrible he's been ever since kind of clouds his performance.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah I agree... DDL was fantastic, but Brody was amazing in that role. I think looking back now and seeing how terrible he's been ever since kind of clouds his performance.

It's called the Cuba Gooding Jr. Effect.
Say Chowdah
AG
Paul Giamatti not even being nominated for best actor for Sideways. It was nominated for 5 Academy Awards including best pic, best director, best supporting actor and best supporting actress, but somehow the lead actor didn't get a nod?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Kilmer in Tombstone
Rogan in 50/50 (thought he did an awesome awesome job)
DeNiro in HEAT
Aggies76
AG
I think Redford should have been nominated last year for "All is Lost".
Tmoneyag99
AG
Paul Reubens in Pee Wee's Big Adventure. He nailed Pee Wee.
Richie Cunningham
AG
I have not seen all the best actor nominees from this year - but I still think both Ralph Fiennes in Grand Budapest and Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler are two of the more enjoyable performances I have seen in years. Guess there just isn't room for em all.

And I can watch The Shining over and over again because of Jack's performance.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.