**** Books Read in 2015 ****

28,228 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Hudson2508
AgDC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1 & 2) "Lirael" and "Abhorsen" which arefinal two books of the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix: http://oldkingdom.com.au/. Pretty good young adult fantasy series withan interesting approach to magic and Life/Death. There's a prequel I'll probably tackle at some point.

3 & 4) Finished up the 1st Percy Jackson series reading books 4 and 5. Nice fantasy series (based on Greek Mythology) for young readers and this adult enjoyed them as well. It's a goodseries for parents to read as a way to connect with their kids. Looking forward to watching the movie(s) at some point.

5 & 6) "Gathering Blue" and "Messenger" which are the middle books of Lois Lowry's "The Giver" quartet. While I wasn't as high on the "The Giver" as most people were I wantedto continue the series because I did enjoy it and I had hopes of getting some more answers. I did get some satisfyinganswers but still felt like there is a lot of interesting story she's leaving on the table. Hope to finish the seriesby reading "Son" this week.

Will try and tackle an adult series next. Thought about the Stormlight Archive or KingskillerChronicle but I'm loath to start another unfinished series. ASOIAF has scarred me.

Currently reading the very enjoyable "41" by Bush 43.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Wizard & Glass - the end of Roland's story might be one of the most depressing ever. I knew it wasn't going to end well but damn.
JJxvi
AG
Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson. Excellent+ This is probably a competitor among the best fantasy books I've read, but I've read most of the others more than once so it's hard to compare at present.
jlb2957
AG
1. Blood Rites (Dresden Files Audiobook) - Jim Butcher.
2. Dead Beat (Dresden Files Audiobook) - Jim Butcher.

Still enjoying my 2nd time through the Dresden Files.
rich1232
AG
City of Stairs A-
House of Chains A-
Frok
AG
Finishing up the Dark Tower series with the 7th book now. It's unusual but I'm enjoying it.
Tanya 93

• 1) This is the End: The Post Apocalyptic Box Set (7 book collection)--zombies and evil jerks (give them a B)
  • 2) This is the End: The Post Apocalyptic Box Set 2 (8 book collection)-zombies and aliens (give them an A-)
  • 3) The Christmas Bargain by Shanna Hatfield- B+ if you like Victorian Romances
  • 4) The Dying of the Light by Jason Kristopher--A Amusing and developed tale of a Special Forces unit that has been killing zombies for over a century
  • 5) The Zombie Chronicles by Chrissy Peebles-B Odd story of zombies and someone who may have a cure, but has to have someone turn before they can know

Yeah, I know. 18 novels. That is a lot of books. But I read really quickly.
MidnightYell2003
AG
I recently finished Stephen King's 11/22/63 on audiobook. I really enjoyed it and look forward to the supposed screen adaptation (if it ever happens). I think the audio reader did a great job and I may listen to another book he has done simply because he is narrating.
EDIT: One of the fictional characters in the book attends Texas A&M on a football scholarship

Just wanted to comment on other books that y'all have posted in this thread... I agree that the Feast For Crows was the weakest book of the five Ice and Fire books. And I loved The Martian by Andy Weir. I am really looking forward to that movie coming out later this year.
Rocag
AG
Just finished "Five Billion Years of Solitude" which is about a wide range of space based topics including SETI, the search for exoplanets, the Drake equation, the politics of NASA, and the history of the Earth. Each of the sections is fairly interesting but I never got the sense that the book knew what it wanted to be about. Very disjointed. Would still recommend if you like this type of book though.
Kashchei
AG
Dwight Yoakam: A Thousand Miles from Nowhere by Don McLeese - B
Ashley96
AG
I just finished up "A Death in the Family" by James Agee. I'd give it a B-.
BIMS O1
AG
Finished "Ready Player One" last night. Quick fun read for people that grew up in the 80's playing the early video game consoles.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
glartasal
I've been on a true crime kick as of late. I've read In Cold Blood (actually never read it back in high school when it seems like everyone reads it) and Columbine, which as you would expect, is about the school shooting. Sped through that one in about 3 days.

Gonna try this Devil in the White City next based on this thread
Clavell
AG
Due to a lot of issues at work and home my average of 1-2 books a month has been zero for most of 2014, but have now finished book began about 10 months ago.

1) Completed the biography of Winston Churchill trilogy started by William Manchester and last volume completed by Paul Reid. Final volume was titled "The Last Lion William Spencer Churchill, Defender of the Realm 1940 - 1965". While the trilogy is very long (~1000pages/book) I found each worth reading for different reasons. I went into the trilogy knowing about as much about Churchill as most, that being mostly the WWII years. The first book I read in 2012 and covered 1874 1932 which I enjoyed reading about the man himself and the British Empire. The second book I read beginning of 2014 and covered 1932 1940, think "Winds of War" from British side. Just wanted to shake all the appeasers that he faced, WWII could have been much easier if Hitler was addressed much sooner. I went into the third book thinking I knew the story, but was wrong. I knew WWII from the American side. From British side how the war was conducted was less impressive. Leaders like Roosevelt and Eisenhower do not come off as well and British Generals like Montgomery are heroes that in my previous reading were not. Would have probably started the Cold War in much better position if had followed Churchill's plans. What I also liked about the trilogy is his faults were not sugar coated. Remained a 19th century Englishman his entire 90 years, but could see implications of every change in the world. Did great job of just describing the man himself. .

Next up: Something slightly different. Say what you will buy I got hooked on Anne Rice's vampire books around 1980 when I read "Interview with a Vampire" as I took breaks from studying in the A&M library and noticed a paper copy of the strangely titled book in the book stand next to me. Well a new one has been published so can not resist. "Prince Lestat" by Anne Rice
jlb2957
AG
1. Blood Rites (Dresden Files Audiobook) - Jim Butcher
2. Dead Beat (Dresden Files Audiobook) - Jim Butcher
3. Proven Guilty (Dresden Files Audiobook) - Jim Butcher
jeffk
AG
Finished "Dad is Fat" by Jim Gaffigan yesterday. Very funny stuff on parenting. Some carry-over from his stand-up but also some new material. Read by the author on the audiobook, so that was a plus too.

Started "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien this morning. Pretty compelling book on the Vietnam War and I'm enjoying it so far. Read by Brian Cranston on the audiobook.
Tanya 93
quote:
Due to a lot of issues at work and home my average of 1-2 books a month has been zero for most of 2014, but have now finished book began about 10 months ago.

1) Completed the biography of Winston Churchill trilogy started by William Manchester and last volume completed by Paul Reid. Final volume was titled "The Last Lion William Spencer Churchill, Defender of the Realm 1940 - 1965". While the trilogy is very long (~1000pages/book) I found each worth reading for different reasons. I went into the trilogy knowing about as much about Churchill as most, that being mostly the WWII years. The first book I read in 2012 and covered 1874 1932 which I enjoyed reading about the man himself and the British Empire. The second book I read beginning of 2014 and covered 1932 1940, think "Winds of War" from British side. Just wanted to shake all the appeasers that he faced, WWII could have been much easier if Hitler was addressed much sooner. I went into the third book thinking I knew the story, but was wrong. I knew WWII from the American side. From British side how the war was conducted was less impressive. Leaders like Roosevelt and Eisenhower do not come off as well and British Generals like Montgomery are heroes that in my previous reading were not. Would have probably started the Cold War in much better position if had followed Churchill's plans. What I also liked about the trilogy is his faults were not sugar coated. Remained a 19th century Englishman his entire 90 years, but could see implications of every change in the world. Did great job of just describing the man himself. .

Next up: Something slightly different. Say what you will buy I got hooked on Anne Rice's vampire books around 1980 when I read "Interview with a Vampire" as I took breaks from studying in the A&M library and noticed a paper copy of the strangely titled book in the book stand next to me. Well a new one has been published so can not resist. "Prince Lestat" by Anne Rice
Speaking of Winston Churchill, have you read his 6 volume series on the Second World War? When my MIL died, she left me all her books because I was the only one who appreciate them.

It is amazing. We have a Winston Churchill museum not too far from here and his granddaughter and great-grandson came for the 50th anniversary of his passing, along with the British Ambassador to the US. It was quite a big deal they were here. Fulton isn't exactly a big town.
Clavell
AG
I thought about reading his work and it is discussed in the biography, but really was more interested in the man himself and kind of unbiased view of events. Thought the trilogy did that. The description of how he wrote his WWII series and other books and speeches was crazy though. Get up late morning, breakfast, looong bath, walk grounds, lunch, bring in secretaries who he would dictate to, break for dinner with visitors while proofs were created from dictation, back with secretaries revising proofs, working until early morning and then bed. Oh forgot, all while nursing his whisky most of waking hours.
Tanya 93
quote:
I thought about reading his work and it is discussed in the biography, but really was more interested in the man himself and kind of unbiased view of events. Thought the trilogy did that. The description of how he wrote his WWII series and other books and speeches was crazy though. Get up late morning, breakfast, looong bath, walk grounds, lunch, bring in secretaries who he would dictate to, break for dinner with visitors while proofs were created from dictation, back with secretaries revising proofs, working until early morning and then bed. Oh forgot, all while nursing his whisky most of waking hours.
Cool.

Just wanted to recommend it if you like history the way I do.

He is a fascinating man. This work just shows how observant and brilliant he was.
Clavell
AG
quote:
Currently reading Devil in the White City. Loving the HH Holmes portion... but the portions of the architecture for the Chicago World Fair is kind of a snooze. But who doesn't love a good (and true) serial killer story!?

Might want to check out similar book by Douglas Starr. "The Killer of Little Shepherds". (NF) Like Larson he uses the serial killer as the hook, but the real story is the layout of debates that are still going on today. Nurture vs nature, capital punishment, treatment of the homeless, mentally legal responsible, and the use and potential abuse of the insanity defense. Beyond that it is an interesting read on the state of forensic science at the end of the 19thcentury. (A-)
TajMaballer
AG
Read a couple of comic books that were both enjoyable: The Dark Knight Returns and Green Arrow Year One. Personally, I liked GA more, but I think more people would like Batman more. Both were great though
Old Jock 1997
AG
Finished American Sniper. Really enjoyed it.

I'm now on 41: A Portrait of My Father by George W. Bush. Really enjoying it also. I voted Bush 3x (wasn't old enough in '88), but politics aside, I still really admire both men.
tommyjohn
Edge of Eternity, Ken Follett- The weakest book of the trilogy by far and the first Follet book I had a hard time finishing

The Martian, Andy Weir- Excellent read that I finished in about 8 hrs

Decision Points, George W. Bush- Good read and raised my level of respect for W. No matter what you can say about his politics he always has and continues to carry himself with class.

Up next is:

Flashback, Dan Simmons
Clavell
AG
Is the Follet trilogy worth it? Keep debating putting on my read list or not.
rich1232
AG
Low Town by Daniel Polansky A-
Kashchei
AG
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick - A+

I'm loathe to give out perfect grades, but this was a really good book. I first heard about it a few months ago on The Late Late Show and decided to pick it up. The book is an alternate reality of what would have happened if the Axis had won the war. It's not a history, but tells the intertwining tells of several characters. It has a lot of intrigue and delves into what is true reality - very Inception-esque.

HIGHLY recommended if you want a quick scifi read.
Rocag
AG
Read Lawrence Wright's book on Scientology "Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief". I thought it was quite good and his claims are thoroughly documented, which is a smart move considering how litigious the Church of Scientology is. I was familiar with most of the things in the book but a part that was new to me was how David Miscavige rose to power in the church and the things he's done since then. Very interesting read if you are interested in this kind of subject.
ccaggie05
AG
quote:
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick - A+

I'm loathe to give out perfect grades, but this was a really good book. I first heard about it a few months ago on The Late Late Show and decided to pick it up. The book is an alternate reality of what would have happened if the Axis had won the war. It's not a history, but tells the intertwining tells of several characters. It has a lot of intrigue and delves into what is true reality - very Inception-esque.

HIGHLY recommended if you want a quick scifi read.
It's one of the shows on Amazon's most recent pilot season. Apparently the show is getting rave reviews so I'm pretty sure it will get picked up as a full series.
ccaggie05
AG
I'm finally getting into ebooks and now my reading time has gone up exponentially. I usually only read a few books a year, but being able to sync my kindle and kindle apps on my phone/tablet has made all the difference in the world in terms of finding time to read.

So far in 2015:

1. Inferno by Dan Brown
2. The Amber Room by Steve Berry
3. Dead Heat by Joel C. Rosenberg
4. Sycamore Row by John Grisham
5. The Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry

Im currently reading The Third Secret by Steve Berry and Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.
Rocag
AG
Just read "Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson. It's a non-fiction book about the 1893 World's Fair held in Chicago and the serial killer H H Holmes who killed at least nine people and possibly dozens more around that time. It's basically two stories told in parallel. One about the men who planned and built the fair and its impact on the city and the country. The other about a charismatic sociopath who got away with his crimes for years based solely on his ability to convince people to trust him.

Definitely recommend this book.
AgHawkeye
AG
quote:
Is the Follet trilogy worth it? Keep debating putting on my read list or not.

I agree with poster above you that the third was not near as good as the first two. You could stop after two and not lose much. The first two are outstanding. I listened on audible and the reader is great as well. The third I was not disappointed that I read and had some neat parts. Just hard to make the Cold War and civil rights as exciting as WWI and II.
Knife_Party
Read Dark Tower 6 and 7.
Read first two books in Dresden Files series.
Starting Wheel of Time with book 1 and then going back to Dresden Files 3.
Trajan88
AG
Thomas Hardy's Far From The Madding Crowd.
AgDC
1 & 2) "Lirael" and "Abhorsen" which arefinal two books of the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix: http://oldkingdom.com.au/. Pretty good young adult fantasy series withan interesting approach to magic and Life/Death. There's a prequel I'll probably tackle at some point.

3 & 4) Finished up the 1st Percy Jackson series reading books 4 and 5. Nice fantasy series (based on Greek Mythology) for young readers and this adult enjoyed them as well. It's a goodseries for parents to read as a way to connect with their kids. Looking forward to watching the movie(s) at some point.

5 & 6) "Gathering Blue" and "Messenger" which are the middle books of Lois Lowry's "The Giver" quartet. While I wasn't as high on the "The Giver" as most people were I wantedto continue the series because I did enjoy it and I had hopes of getting some more answers. I did get some satisfyinganswers but still felt like there is a lot of interesting story she's leaving on the table. Hope to finish the seriesby reading "Son" this week.

7) A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf. I'm not a big fan of feminist literature but had to read this one for class. I enjoyed it more than I expected to. Woolf does have some interesting insights about female creativity in the early 20th century.

8) The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. This one is children's literature but I would put it in on the higher end of that age range. Creative story about a little boy named Nobody Owens (Bod) who is raised by ghosts in a cemetery when his family is killed. Like a lot of books for this age group, It's a story about growing up and finding one's place in the world. Real world setting sprinkled with some fantasy elements. Enjoyed this one quite a bit.
aggiesq
AG
Saint Odd - Dean Koontz. Series finale. The ending was more enjoyable than I expected

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.