*** DC Extended Universe ***

819,587 Views | 7643 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by TCTTS
jackie childs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS said:

Literally just when I was starting to express the slightest bit of hope for DC they go and do this. Why??? It's almost comical how tone deaf they are at this point. People were beginning to believe in them again!
in hindsight, DC probably would've been better off if wonder woman had tanked. sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you admit you have a problem.
Brick Tamland
I think it could be if it is about how he ended up at Arkham under Harleen Quinzel and the Robin murder, but let's get real. It won't be.
Murder Hornet
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I read that in Drax's voice and it was so much better
fig96
AG
bthomas98 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I totally did too
TCTTS
AG
GiveEmHellBill
AG
bthomas98 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

He's waiting by his phone with such little movement.......it's like he's not even there. You can't even see him.
Brick Tamland
Thanks, TCTTS, for the name change
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
TCTTS said:

With no Star Wars, it basically has Christmas all to itself, save for the Bumblebee spin-off. So if it's even mildly good I think it's going to clean up at the box office. And if it somehow ends up being underwater Lord of the Rings, which is kind of the vibe people are hinting at, it could be a massive surprise hit.

I hope so, man. I REALLY do.

Marvel has a very deep roster, but DC has ALWAYS had the best starters.

Superman
Wonder Woman
Batman & Robin
Joker
Lex Luther
Aquaman ( but he's useless in say Nebraska unless there's a lake)

These are superior characters. But Marvel has more of 'em.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
Brick Tamland
I imagine Mary Poppins Returns might take away some box office from Aquaman. I know it's different genres aimed at different people, and during Christmas, but plenty of people will see it for nostalgic reasons (not me).
Ulrich
I'll give you Batman and Joker belonging alongside or above the top Marvel characters. Superman has never worked for me. Aquaman has always been a punchline. The rest... I guess maybe. It's getting really difficult to separate the cultural impact of the Marvel movie universe from how I thought about these characters before 2008. I was never into comic books though.
Bruce Almighty
AG
AlphaCharlieUniformAggie said:

TCTTS said:

With no Star Wars, it basically has Christmas all to itself, save for the Bumblebee spin-off. So if it's even mildly good I think it's going to clean up at the box office. And if it somehow ends up being underwater Lord of the Rings, which is kind of the vibe people are hinting at, it could be a massive surprise hit.

Superman
Wonder Woman
Batman & Robin
Joker
Lex Luther

I'd only put Superman and Batman over Spider-man and Wolverine.
MooreTrucker
AG
AlphaCharlieUniformAggie said:

TCTTS said:

Superman
Wonder Woman
Batman & Robin
Joker
Lex Luther

Aquaman sucks /DC OG nerds (like me)
MooreTrucker
AG
Ulrich said:

I'll give you Batman and Joker belonging alongside or above the top Marvel characters. Superman has never worked for me. Aquaman has always been a punchline. The rest... I guess maybe. It's getting really difficult to separate the cultural impact of the Marvel movie universe from how I thought about these characters before 2008. I was never into comic books though.
Superman was the original superhero. Batman is the best, but you can't discount Supes. He's still going strong after all these years.

Lex and the Joker top any Marvel villain.
Brick Tamland
There's no denying Marvel's cultural impact, but before 2008 people only really cared about X-Men and Spider-Man. There's a reason Sony and Fox only wanted those properties. I did watch the Iron Man cartoons when I was little, and had an Iron Man action figure. However, it all paled in comparison to my Batman stuff. Batman the Animated Series was the best cartoon of all time. Outside of Marvel's movies, DC is king right now.

I will also say this: I'm a teacher and almost all of my students this last year like DC more than Marvel.
Brick Tamland
I would agree with that, but think it really thins out for Marvel after the top two. I do find a lot of characters from their comics very interesting, like Moon Knight and Doctor Strange, but they don't move the needle for me as much as even Nightwing or Super Sons do (which is weird, because I picked up a physical comic book for the first time yesterday and it was Bendis' new The Man of Steel and he used to be a huge Marvel writer). Now, this is just my opinion. I have a buddy who's the exact opposite of me. He can't put down a Marvel comic and has a hard time with liking any DC character outside of Batman.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Brick Tamland said:

There's no denying Marvel's cultural impact, but before 2008 people only really cared about X-Men and Spider-Man. There's a reason Sony and Fox only wanted those properties. I did watch the Iron Man cartoons when I was little, and had an Iron Man action figure. However, it all paled in comparison to my Batman stuff. Batman the Animated Series was the best cartoon of all time. Outside of Marvel's movies, DC is king right now.

I will also say this: I'm a teacher and almost all of my students this last year like DC more than Marvel.
I'm also a teacher, and the students that I talk comics to think Suicide Squad is the greatest comic book movie ever made.
Luke Smith
Batman should only keep it if Bane and Wonder Woman are in the time
AliasMan02
AG
Marvel did a better job of modernizing earlier than DC, imo. Iron Man spent a long time carrying around a metallic fabric suoersuit in a briefcase and carrying on an absurd secret identity life where Iron Man was his bodyguard and they were never seen together like Superman/Clark Kent. It was very Silver Agey.

But, Marvel moved past that earlier than DC did and gave more modern takes.

Marvel heroes also tend to be more down to Earth and less powerful than DC heroes, which I think makes them more relateable. DC heroes tend to be empowered by aliens or magic, while Marvel heroes are more likely to find power inside themselves, somehow (X-Men, Spider-Man, Cap, Iron Man, etc.). Batman is the obvious exception, which is why I think he's #1 for DC over guys like Supes, GL, or WW.
Ulrich
Batman + villain is the one I mentioned as potentially being the best of all, so I don't really disagree with you on that point. Just saying that the lineup ACU mentioned doesn't do a whole lot for me after that.
bearamedic99
AG
Super Sons? Is that worth reading and in graphic novel format?

it might be some familiarity issues with the overall universe. I am a huge Marvel fan and can usually feel at home diving into any title with some loose knowledge of the character. DC in the other hand, I used to keep it strictly a GL title, Impulse, or JLI/ JL Europe (huge fan of the Laurel & Hardy antics of Booster and the old Blue Beetle). I could read Supes or Batman due to universal familiarity but not also recognize the villain or other titles.

I would love DC doing a GoG type movie on Mister Miracle and Big Barda
Brick Tamland
Haha I'll give you that. I think they just really like the characters moreso than the actual movie, which describes the DCEU right now. I love the Marvel movies as actual movies but like the DC characters far more.

I can sit and watch Man of Steel, BvS Ultimate Edition, Wonder Woman, and Justice League in order any day of the week, but I'll completely skip Suicide Squad.
Brick Tamland
Yeah it has some good moments, like Jon showing Damian what it's like to fly, and there's one part where Jon wants to stay up late and uses Damian as an excuse to stay up and Clark says, "well Damian's dad also dresses up like a bat at night and always gets hit in the head so he's not exactly a good example".

New Gods should be about Scott Free and Barda. Ava said awhile back that Big Barda is her favorite comic book character.
Brick Tamland
New Suicide Squad sequel writers

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/suicide-squad-2-gets-new-writers-sequel-1118407
CapCityAg89
AG
Ok, here's my list:

Spider-Man - really, really hope the next movie ditches the stupid ass Stark suit.

Batman - last midnight show I attended was Keaton debut.

Wolverine - looking forward to a younger actor reboot.

Green Lantern - why has this taken so long??!

Wonder Woman - do not like female Superman version though. They need to watch out making her too over powered. Movie was perfect until she was flying at the end.

Superman - I love the Luthor battles of over-powered alien who won't kill v super smart/rich, psycho human who will stop at nothing. Really wish this would get proper treatment. First Chris Reeves movie was close but not gritty enough and then became camp.
heddleston
AG
I want a good GL movie so bad, but I think there's just no room for it. I love big expansive, weird, celestial stuff and Guardians of the Galaxy + Thor (at least since Ragnarok) are everything a GL movie should be and may have that market cornered . I'd love to be wrong, though.
fig96
AG
heddleston said:

I want a good GL movie so bad, but I think there's just no room for it. I love big expansive, weird, celestial stuff and Guardians of the Galaxy + Thor (at least since Ragnarok) are everything a GL movie should be and may have that market cornered . I'd love to be wrong, though.
That might be their entry into the more galactic world though, with the right tone it could be really cool (and unfortunately tone is probably the DCU's biggest issue right now). I'd imagine part of the timing is also finding the distance from the Ryan Reynolds trainwreck.
Brick Tamland
I think they can do a good GL if they include the other lantern corps, a la blackest night or something. Just don't repeat the Parallax story line with Sinestro going yellow at the end.
YouBet
AG
I disagree with DC starters being superior to Marvel except for possibly Batman but that might just be a function of when I really got into comics which was in the '80s with the advent of the X-Men. I always thought DC characters were overly clownish and goofy compared to Marvel's more generally "serious" characters and issues. Granted, it's kind of ironic the movies have ended up being the opposite with Marvel having a touch of humor and DC none.

I will also say my perception of DC is tainted by Superfriends (which I loved as a kid) but made that universe a joke to me as I got into my teens. Superman constantly having to trick Mxyzptlk to spell his name to get rid of him. And the Wonder Twins. Terrible. I also read a DC graphic novel not too long ago that was considered a classic, ground breaking novel kind of in the vein of TDK and the meta humans in it were just embarrassingly bad. No idea why it was considered such a classic. Can't remember the name of it.
Brick Tamland
Just comes down to personal preference. Really don't think you can go wrong with DC or Marvel.
MooreTrucker
AG
I'm partial to DC myself because growing up they were the dominant group. The Justice League (and the individual members like Flash and GL especially) and the Legion of Superheroes were my go to comics. I never did get into the X-Men until the movies.
TCTTS
AG
Brick Tamland
Brick Tamland
His new company already has a website up, and mentions Green Lantern as in development

http://www.madghostproductions.com/category/film/
TCTTS
AG

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

One of Johns' first projects will be Green Lantern Corps, based on DC's intergalactic police heroes which Johns is already very familiar with, having spent nine years writing Green Lantern comics and its spinoffs and publishing events.
Okay, if the Green Lantern Corps movie is not good or bombs, then I don't know where the blame will fall. Nine years writing Green Lantern comics means there better be a damn good script for this movie. I'm just saying....
First Page Last Page
Page 84 of 219

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.