*** DC Extended Universe ***

818,953 Views | 7643 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by TCTTS
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've got the feeling that I am going to walk out saying
"Son, I'm not mad, just disappointed in you"
Whos Juan
AG
quote:
I'm so far from an expert on comics. I just know, as you've noted, we've seen a bunch of pictures and if they truly each inspire 1000 words, the word has been "meh" 1000 times.
There's been a few "dafuq?"s in there as well
tamusc
AG
Some very clear video of Joker and Batman on the Suicide Squad set

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/29/8688143/suicide-squad-spoilers-first-clear-images-and-video-of-redacted-in
TCTTS
AG
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/06/03/wb-exec-on-dc-films-were-not-making-superhero-movies
Dro07
AG
quote:
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/06/03/wb-exec-on-dc-films-were-not-making-superhero-movies
Makes prefect sense now... they are mental midgets
redline248
AG
The author of that article was all "sounds so wise, but is really a load of bullsht."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://deadline.com/2015/06/james-wan-aquaman-jason-momoa-dc-comics-warner-bros-1201437282/
Dro07
AG
is there any background to the Aquaman movie? Like what it may be about? It sounds just as bad as a Gambit movie to me honestly.
fig96
AG
quote:
is there any background to the Aquaman movie? Like what it may be about? It sounds just as bad as a Gambit movie to me honestly.
This is kind of my overall concern with the DC films and it's mentioned in the BvS article linked above as well, the lack of any true over-arcing vision for how the whole universe fits together. They're getting talented individual filmmakers, I just have my doubts as to how it's all going to work as a whole.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
This, by the way, is part of the reason why Warner Bros so badly needs a DC Movie Godfather, a guy who can give great quotes and who can speak in a language the fans will recognize and with authority on the characters and the lore. WB needs to stop having these execs saying these things, making these announcements. They need a cheerleader who will give the proper perspective and who will give quotes that are still meaningless (half of what Feige says is fluff) but will sound right.

So frustrating. They have that guy available and his name is Bruce Timm. He built a cinematic universe for DC before there ever was such a thing. But he's on the sidelines. Oh well.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
This, by the way, is part of the reason why Warner Bros so badly needs a DC Movie Godfather, a guy who can give great quotes and who can speak in a language the fans will recognize and with authority on the characters and the lore. WB needs to stop having these execs saying these things, making these announcements. They need a cheerleader who will give the proper perspective and who will give quotes that are still meaningless (half of what Feige says is fluff) but will sound right.

So frustrating. They have that guy available and his name is Bruce Timm. He built a cinematic universe for DC before there ever was such a thing. But he's on the sidelines. Oh well.

I think I said this very thing earlier in the thread But yeah, absolutely right.

I'd hand the keys to Bruce Timm and Scott Snyder (Batman, Superman Unchained) in a heartbeat and feel far better about the DCU.
PatAg
AG
It's pretty hilarious to me that the two best DC properties, Flash and Arrow, are not allowed to be a part of the "DC Universe".
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
It's pretty hilarious to me that the two best DC properties, Flash and Arrow, are not allowed to be a part of the "DC Universe".
There was an article on that, and a big part is logistics. One of the main arguments is any of those cast members would have a very difficult time simultaneously shooting a movie and a TV series, since both take up significant amounts of time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They could cast other actors. Smallville and Superman Returns didn't have the same guy.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
They could cast other actors. Smallville and Superman Returns didn't have the same guy.

But they weren't in the same continuity.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Didn't Smallville finish with him flying and wearing the suit from Superman Returns?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
WB/DC would be really dumb to let a couple of tv series stop them from having those two superheroes in their film universe. Is it a Marve/Agents of Shield situation where it's all taking place at the same time? Otherwise, get another actor in there and make some movies.

Edit: There's a Flash movie coming out in 2018.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Didn't Smallville finish with him flying and wearing the suit from Superman Returns?

Suit may have been similar but Returns had nothing to do with Smallville.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ah. Gotcha.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
The Dark Knight Rises is on today and man, I forgot how bad this movie was. It got me thinking about other bad DC movies, and I realized there's a lot of them, so I looked them up all. Below are the past 26 years of DC films dating back to 1989's Batman, the first DC movie to be released in my lifetime.

1989 Batman - Is it safe to say this was a game changer for superhero flicks? It won an Oscar for best art direction
1992 Batman Returns - Fun follow-up. Tim Burton's vision of Gotham was a beautiful one.
1995 Batman Forever - Enjoyed it as a kid
1997 Batman & Robin - Killed the batman franchise for eight years. Not just that, but it marked the start of a seven-year drought of no DC movies. That's the biggest gap between DC movies since the 12 years between 1966's Batman the movie and 1978's Superman.
1997 Steel - Huh?
2004 Catwoman - Catwoman bombed so bad, execs use it as a reason not to make female-led superhero flicks.
2005 Batman Begins - Best of the lot, imo
2006 Superman returns - A movie so bad it made superman disappear for seven years.
2008 The Dark Knight - The most fun of the lot, even if the plot doesn't really make sense when you think about it.
2009 Watchmen - A disappointment
2010 Jonah Hex - Did anyone watch this?
2011 Green Lantern - Bombed
2012 The Dark Knight Rises - A disappointment with a terrible story.
2013 Man of Steel - Another disappointment

By my scoring, DC has gone 4-10 since 1989 (four good movies, 10 bad ones). How would you score DC's past 26 years?

Also, since I opened by mentioning TDKR is on, why the hell does Catwoman want a clean slate device? When Batman searched her criminal history, it was nothing but a bunch of, "Near misses and tips from fences." Her motive makes zero sense. This movie will probably get worse with every viewing.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I don't think it's bad, but I Do think its Nolan's worst movie. I think The Dark Knight is his best movie.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Yeah, Dark Knight Rises was far from bad, and The Watchman as a disappointment?
fig96
AG
quote:
I don't think it's bad, but I Do think its Nolan's worst movie. I think The Dark Knight is his best movie.

So here's my issue with Nolan's Bat-films, and these apply to Burton as well. I don't acknowledge the existence of any of the others.

They all feel like an auteur's take on Batman, which I suppose they are. The problem with that is you can't build a franchise on that, not to mention they miss badly on important aspects of the character in pretty much all instances.

I enjoyed Nolan's films as gritty crime dramas, didn't really love them as Batman films.
Saxsoon
AG
Having grown up with the Bruce Timm Batman and Joker, Nolan's films are a disappointment in that regard.
I am not saying they should have copied Bruce Timm's style and character, but when it was already perfected, everything else is a letdown.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Best Batman is the early 90s animated series batman.
jeffk
AG
quote:
Best Batman is the early 90s animated series batman.

Yep, and then Batman Beyond.
Sex Panther
AG
Watchmen isn't a bad movie at all but I understand thinking it was a letdown. Especially for fans of the comic. I'm telling you, that thing is good. I read it a few months before the movie came out. I can only imagine if you read it when it was first released then waiting 20 years for the movie.

They had some unfortunate miscastings but they did however outdo the comic's ending. That's definitely something for the filmmakers to hang their hat on.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed 100%. I still watch it from time to time, and it's definitely a solid movie. It's maybe a little too much of a procedural, but then again, that's kind of what I love about it. Cut 10-15 minutes or so, pick up the pace just a bit, and recast Malin Ackerman (and maybe even Matthew Goode or Patrick Wilson - though I don't mind either of them), and it'd be an all-timer.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I never read the graphic novel but thought it was a pretty decent movie.
redline248
AG
I liked it, I just figured most people hated it bc of the never-ending blue dong.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I liked it, I just figured most people hated it bc of the never-ending blue dong.
Fanboys hated it because it changed the totally absurd, non sequitur ending of the graphic novel.
Tmoneyag99
AG
quote:
quote:
Fanboys hated it because it changed the totally absurd, non sequitur ending of the graphic novel.

So, how does the graphic novel end for us non fanboys?
Whos Juan
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

So, how does the graphic novel end for us non fanboys?
Ozymandias dabbles in genetic engineering, which explains the weird lynx looking thing that's with him in his secret base which never gets acknowledged in the movie. Anyways, he creates this giant mutant squid monster that attacks NYC and causes mankind to unite against it as a common enemy.

Yeah, the movie ending was an improvement.
Bruce Almighty
AG
For those that have read it, why is it considered this great piece of literary achievement? Is it overrated or is it really the greatest graphic novel of all time?
schmendeler
AG
compared to just about all the other graphic novels I've read (v for vendetta excluded) it's about the only one that is actually a good book.
First Page Last Page
Page 17 of 219

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.