*** DC Extended Universe ***

817,769 Views | 7643 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by TCTTS
canadiaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just saw it, 7.5/10 pretty good!
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
This is staggeringly bad, to the point where it might actually affect the release of Blue Beetle and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom in some way. Gunn really needs to cut any and all ties with the DCEU going forward. This wishy-washy thing where a couple of DCEU properties/characters are continuing on, amongst the reboot, is the worst idea ever. The DCEU needs to end, for good, as soon as possible, but then they also need, like, a legit marketing push or awareness campaign of sorts come 2025, delineating the DCU as something completely new. Though, even then, I'm starting to wonder if audiences are going to show up/care...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, the biggest thing is WB shot themselves in the foot by announcing a new DCU, before the current one is even done releasing movies. Makes all the upcoming movies feel like they don't matter. Probably a big reason nobody saw Shazam 2.
schmendeler
AG
Mid afternoon screening is 2/3 - 3/4 full. Theater parking lot was the fullest I've seen in a long time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, that headline is deceptive at best, since that isn't the full holiday weekend gross. That's just the three day. Black Adam didn't open on a holiday weekend.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well, the biggest thing is WB shot themselves in the foot by announcing a new DCU, before the current one is even done releasing movies. Makes all the upcoming movies feel like they don't matter. Probably a big reason nobody saw Shazam 2.

I'm torn, because I do wonder how much of the general audience has any idea Gunn is even rebooting it all with the DCU in a couple a years (much less who James Gunn even is). The announcement affected the box office, no doubt, I just don't know by how much. Rather, it might be that the audience is simple sick of these iterations of the characters, especially Ezra Miller's Flash. Which, if so, all the more reason to make a clean break with the DCEU, and then make a BIG deal of rebooting the entire thing, top to bottom, in 2025.
YouBet
AG
I bet you will be correct. It's not like they are afraid to cut stuff before it gets released. If they don't it could taint the reboot.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also, that headline is deceptive at best, since that isn't the full holiday weekend gross. That's just the three day. Black Adam didn't open on a holiday weekend.

Right. So how is it deceptive? It's comparing the first three days of their respective releases, and by any metric Black Adam wins. Black Adam's three-day will almost assuredly even beat The Flash's four-day. It's a disaster any way you slice it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Holiday weekends tend to make less money on Sundays due to more people going to the movies on Monday. So it's not really an apples to apples comparison. (The $55M.)
TCTTS
AG
YouBet said:

I bet you will be correct. It's not like they are afraid to cut stuff before it gets released. If they don't it could taint the reboot.

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom just needs to go straight to Max at this point. And not in December, but as soon as they can have it even remotely ready. As for Blue Beetle, Gunn recently said that the *character* is the first DCU character, but that the first DCU *movie* will be Superman: Legacy, and it's sh*t like that that's going to confuse people and risk tainting the reboot, like you said. Hell, even I don't understand what that means. The Blue Beetle movie was developed/shot before Gunn took over, so it's clear he either likes the character or doesn't want to outright ignore a movie with a prominently Latino cast (and risk the blow back), but the movie and character have be thrown out as well at this point. Either that, or save the movie for 2025? Right now, though, the money WB *might* make from either movie isn't worth the risk at this point of tainting the brand/reboot for 2025.
TCTTS
AG
schmendeler said:

Mid afternoon screening is 2/3 - 3/4 full. Theater parking lot was the fullest I've seen in a long time.

The prime time Saturday night showing at one of the biggest, most popular theaters in LA wasn't even half full last night. It might have even been only 1/4 full. It was pretty depressing.
TCTTS
AG
Andyzipp
AG
Was Elementals opening in the same theatre this weekend?
BCG Disciple
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm not sure I draw this conclusion, as a member of the casual audience. At least not for me. This trailer is way too much for a first movie / origin title without character development. Was a justice league on steroids with a multiverse aspect not developed in any prior iteration. Just seemed like a mess. Not to mention I think the flash series does a lot right, and have watched it with kids.

The two DC movies that did well hear are A level characters with simple story telling that was well executed. I care nothing about the DCU tie in or not, and this is evidenced by how many Batman movies I've seen over the years.
YouBet
AG
I wonder how much Ezra Millers insanity and shenanigans and complete lack of accountability for any of it turned people away.

Then again your average moviegoer probably didn't know about much of it? Dunno.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
BCG Disciple said:

TCTTS said:

I'm not sure I draw this conclusion, as a member of the casual audience. At least not for me. This trailer is way too much for a first movie / origin title without character development. Was a justice league on steroids with a multiverse aspect not developed in any prior iteration. Just seemed like a mess. Not to mention I think the flash series does a lot right, and have watched it with kids.

The two DC movies that did well hear are A level characters with simple story telling that was well executed. I care nothing about the DCU tie in or not, and this is evidenced by how many Batman movies I've seen over the years.

It's still pretty embarrassing for the DCEU that an R rated Batman, outside the DCEU, and being played by a twilight character, draws 3x more than a tentpole justice league character with a heavily advertised cameo of an entire generation's batman.

I loved The Batman, but you would think that 10 years into an expanded universe that one of the main characters finally getting their own movie would be 2-3x bigger than a side project aimed at adults.

Batman is pretty much the only good thing DC has going for it right now. I'm almost at the point that I wish Gunn would just take a major risk and make the reboot of the DCU completely R-rated and build the Justice League off the back of this Batman iteration after the Robert Pattinson trilogy is finished.
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm torn, because I do wonder how much of the general audience has any idea Gunn is even rebooting it all with the DCU in a couple a years (much less who James Gunn even is). The announcement affected the box office, no doubt, I just don't know by how much. Rather, it might be that the audience is simple sick of these iterations of the characters, especially Ezra Miller's Flash. Which, if so, all the more reason to make a clean break with the DCEU, and then make a BIG deal of rebooting the entire thing, top to bottom, in 2025.
Didn't Warner Bros come this close to just throwing the movie in the trash, primarily because of Miller's instability?
TCTTS
AG
No, I don't think that was ever really considered because they thought forever that they had a huge hit on their hands.
TCTTS
AG
I'm really starting to wonder if it's the DCEU that people aren't showing up for, or if audiences simply don't care about the "B and C" characters anymore, period. Gunn has a lot of obscure stuff planned that could very well make for good movies, but at this point will audiences three years from now even show up if it's not Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman?

schmendeler
AG
His movies are always very charming, imo. Couple that with a character that seems fresh, and I can see how he might pull it off. But it will be very tough.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
People respond to compelling stories. Simple as that.

Comic book heroes had a lot of potential as a genre because they've been telling those stories for decades. They knew which characters and stories resonated and which didn't. What studio wouldn't want to turn 70+ years of market research into film?

Marvel parlayed this into an 11-year run of hits, from iron man (2008) to end game (2019). DC got greedy and tried to rush to team ups, resulting in sloppy storytelling. "Your mom's name is Martha, too?" Crap like that. This made for bad word of mouth and disappointing ticket sales.

Now Marvel has run through its most compelling characters and stories. It's also being challenged by corporate demands for aggressive release schedules, so even when you know you have a story people will love, you don't have the time to adopt it to film format, which isn't easy. So now Marvel is doing what ruined DC - rushing its storytelling.

Both studios need to slow down and give their creatives time to write. Creativity doesn't follow a corporate schedule
TXAG 05
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Holiday weekends tend to make less money on Sundays due to more people going to the movies on Monday. So it's not really an apples to apples comparison. (The $55M.)

Did this weekend really count as a holiday weekend? I don't know anybody that has today off.
BowSowy
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Both studios need to slow down
Comic book movies/shows need to chill out. And I'm saying this as someone who has loved MCU stuff up until the past few years. It's too much. In this new era of profitability and growth, I doubt we will see MCU or DCU take a step back and release fewer films. But I think that's what they need. And get rid of the TV shows that are mostly throw away.
Claude!
TXAG 05 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Did this weekend really count as a holiday weekend? I don't know anybody that has today off.
I have today off, and I don't work for the government.
YouBet
AG
Yeah, DC never got out of the gate well and Marvel is now a ton of noise and confusion with so much cross over and minor characters. The cross over is exactly why I quit reading that stuff back in the day because it just became a chore to keep up with.

In addition, Infinity War was so successful because there was a vision and specific mission with the story. No idea what's happening with this current phase and then I think I saw a headline where Kang beat up his wife or something and no idea what's going on there. I'm sure it's in the Marvel thread which got away from me and I quit reading.

Gunn has to be stressed right now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
It's so weird that, as of now, this is technically going to be the first entry in the new DCU, two years before the DCU officially kicks off...

rhutton125
AG
Probably best to pretend that it is (even if it isn't) for box office's sake. You don't want to Dark Phoenix yourself.

Definitely a film in purgatory though. Best case, it's a Shazam-sized hit. Worst-case it's a total afterthought and nobody cares because they're ready for Gunn to reboot everything. Kinda feel for the folks involved.
AggieLitigator
Am I the only one who has lost interest in DC since: they let Cavil go as Superman and Ezra Miller has been treated so much better than Majors despite being an absolute terror. I'm not defending Majors, but Miller had many, many instances of law breaking behavior and seems to get a pass yet everyone cancelled Majors immediately.
TCTTS
AG
AggieLitigator said:

Am I the only one who has lost interest in DC since: they let Cavil go as Superman and Ezra Miller has been treated so much better than Majors despite being an absolute terror. I'm not defending Majors, but Miller had many, many instances of law breaking behavior and seems to get a pass yet everyone cancelled Majors immediately.

- Majors didn't have a massive blockbuster awaiting release that the studio was already counting on and couldn't recast/cancel.

- Miller released an apologetic statement, sought treatment, and then stayed completely out of the public eye for months, until the premiere. Whereas Majors has remained defiant and shown no remorse.

- Miller is white/LGBTQIA+, Majors is black/straight.

In *no way* am I saying that I agree with any of the above as justification - it's not a fair situation at all - I'm merely pointing out the objective differences in the two instances, however irrelevant, as the likely reasons why one instance is being treating differently than the other.
dave94
AG
I also don't think anyone knows the outcome of the Jonathan Majors situation yet
TCTTS
AG
Right. The trial's in August, so we (and Marvel) will obviously have a better idea then.
fig96
AG
fig96 said:

TCTTS said:

Personally, I'd go with Indy.

That said, if at all possible, if I could only save up for one theater pass all summer, I'd use it on Mission: Impossible.
For only the movie itself I'd agree, but I also feel like there's less to get spoiled for Indy.

And my wife is a huge MI fan so I'm gonna try to play the "let's have your mom come and go on a date" card for that one Little guy will be a few months old then too so bit easier sell.
Update: went to Spiderverse yesterday. No ragrets.
rhutton125
AG
Once Aquaman is out, do we retire this thread and make a DCU thread? Is that the last holdover? Or is Flash really the finale?
First Page Last Page
Page 215 of 219

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.