SIAP: SyFy to show The Expanse

24,731 Views | 192 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MGS
An Ag in CO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Syfy continues to aggressively build its original slate with a 10-episode order to The Expanse, a series based on James S.A. Corey’s series of novels. The project, which received a very rich straight-to-series order in a competitive situation, is in the space opera genre in the tradition of Battlestar Galactica that Syfy brass had been looking to bring back to the network. The Expanse was put together as straight-to-series by Alcon Entertainment’s TV arm Alcon Television Group and Sean Daniel and Jason Brown of the Sean Daniel Co., who developed the original pitch with Oscar-nominated writers Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Children of Men, Iron Man). This marks the first series order for ATG, which launched two years ago. Fergus and Ostby wrote the script on spec and will continue as writers and executive producers.

A thriller set 200 years in the future, The Expanse follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue ship’s captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history. “The Expanse is epic in scale and scope and promises to be Syfy’s most ambitious series to date,” said Syfy President Dave Howe. “Bringing this coveted book franchise to television with our partners at Alcon and the Sean Daniel Company is a giant win for Syfy, reinforcing our overall strategy to produce bold, provocative and compelling sci-fi fantasy stories.” The pickup for The Expanse comes on the heels of Syfy’s pickups for Ascension and 12 Monkeys, renewal of Helix, with another recently ordered series, Dominion, set to premiere soon. Alcon co-founders and co-CEOs Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson will serve as executive producers alongside Daniel & Brown and ATG’s Sharon Hall. Alcon TV executive Ben Roberts will serve as co-producer; Ben Cook will serve as producer. Alcon retains worldwide distribution rights. Fergus and Ostby are repped by CAA and Mark Gochman. James S.A. Corey, the pen name for authors Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, were repped by IPG on behalf of Baror International.
Saxsoon
AG
Holy ****

This has to be one of the best series of novels I have read in the past couple of years. Solid space opera that really delves into the ins and outs of what 3 planetary governments would look like (An aged and bloated Earth, new up and coming Mars, and the frontier of the Asteroid Belt). Throw in some scifi noir with one of the characters as well as a roguish captain and you have an amazing series to work off
jabberwalkie09
AG
SOUNDS AWESOME!
Saxsoon
AG
I might just have reread the 3 novels released to date just because of this
Saxsoon
bearamedic99
AG
They need to produce a series based on the works of Peter Hamilton or create a show based on the Death stalker series
themessenger
This is awesome news! I just finished the 3rd book and have thought all along this would make a great show. Hopefully they see it through, unlike Stargate Universe, which I still am angry at Syfy for canceling.
Fenrir
quote:
Hopefully they see it through, unlike Stargate Universe, which I still am angry at Syfy for canceling.

Why'd you have to bring that up. We won't even get a movie to give it a proper conclusion.
mid90
AG
I just kicked up Leviathan Awakes last night! Been too long since I've read a good sci-fi book
bearamedic99
AG
I once saw somewhere online that the story line or scripts for the next season of SGU were available online for free but lost the link.
mid90
AG
quote:
I once saw somewhere online that the story line or scripts for the next season of SGU were available online for free but lost the link.

They're bringing the show back??

Or do you mean the scripts were already written when the show was cancelled?
bearamedic99
AG
Already written
mid90
mid90
AG
what's the over/under on how many episodes the Expanse gets before SyFy cancels it to make more crappy original movies?
bearamedic99
AG
http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/expanse-gateway-scifi-series-wait.html
YouBet
AG
I've had Leviathan Awakes sitting on my side table for at least a year and have yet to read it.
mid90
AG
Casting update!

The roles of Jim Holden, Detective Miller, and Chrisjen Avasarala have been cast. (source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-201408211724reedbusivarietyn1201287752-20140821-story.html)

Jim Holden will be played by Steven Strait

Detective Miller will be played by Tom Jane

Chrisjen Avasarala will be played by Shohreh Aghdashloo

[This message has been edited by mid90 (edited 8/27/2014 11:45p).]
mid90
AG
I can't wait to see Tom Jane play Miller. Seems like a great fit to me.

I imagine we won't get to see the difference in physiology between Earthers, Martians, and Belters. That'll be sad, but it also doesn't translate too well to the screen.

Avasarala doesn't come in until the 2nd book, so it sounds like significant storylines will be moved around in the transition from books to TV series. Both Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck (who together compose the pen name James S.A. Corey) are serving as producers with the show. Hopefully this is an indication that the show will stick closely with the characters/universe they have created.

I'm really excited about this series!
Saxsoon
AG
Miller and Chrisjen look great, but the Holden casting seems completely off. I was imagining a stockier more grizzled guy in his mid30s I guess. More of a Han Solo at the very least.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
After I first saw this thread 4 months ago I have read all 4 books.

I completely agree that from those 3 cast members, Miller and Avasarala are SPOT ON, but the Holden character is too young, and not grizzled enough.

I also think the first book will be the first season at least.
swimmerbabe11
SyFy has been nails lately.
Saxsoon
AG
I like bringing Chrisjen in earlier as she is *****in but she will also add a lot of gravitas in some additional Earth gov scenes in responding to the crisis.
mid90
AG
question: I've read all 4 books, but I'm not sure everyone else on this thread has...should we mark this as a spoiler thread, or maybe create a separate spoiler thread?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
We might want to make a new thread for those that have read the books. at least say that on the title.
Saxsoon
AG
I am in the process of reading Cibola Burn but I don't have a problem with spoilers
Saxsoon
AG
The Trailer has dropped

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/17/the-expanse-syfys-most-ambitious-space-series-to-date?abthid=54b9c909c69a80e84400002b

Surprised to see some other actors in there.

It has been awhile since I read the first book, and obviously doesn't come close to matching what my head had in place but overall it looks like a solid show that SyFy is putting together.
Saxsoon
AG
Both of the guys who wrote the books are assistants and colleagues of George RR Martin. Though I find their books a lot easier and more enjoyable to read.
YouBet
AG
I finally started reading Leviathan Wakes and am about halfway through. It's damn good. And I totally agree on the Holden casting not fitting but Jane is perfect.
Saxsoon
AG
Actually the Holden in the trailer fits much closer to my view than I expected. I was still hoping for a Han Solo type, but the guy at least seems a little more badass than the pretty boy picture above.
mid90
AG
quote:
The Trailer has dropped

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/17/the-expanse-syfys-most-ambitious-space-series-to-date?abthid=54b9c909c69a80e84400002b

Surprised to see some other actors in there.

It has been awhile since I read the first book, and obviously doesn't come close to matching what my head had in place but overall it looks like a solid show that SyFy is putting together.

The books are some of the best science fiction I've ever read, but that trailer looks like typical SyFy crap. Terrible CGI and cheesy dialogue.
Infected Nation
I started reading the books based on this thread. The first two books were very good. I am currently reading book 3. I hope SyFy is able to so this series justice.
Fenrir
Why'd this thread have to get bumped? Now I'm angry again about SGU.
mid90
AG
halfway through 2015 and there's still no air date set! SyFy.com still just says "2015"
mid90
AG
But the newest book in The Expanse series, "Nemesis Games" dropped this week.

FL_Ag1998
AG
Scyfy highlighting this series at the San Diego Comic Con. Sources claiming it will air in December, and another claiming that a second season has already been ordered.

http://seriable.com/the-expanse-renewed-for-season-2-by-syfy/

And as someone who is just starting the first book, I for one would appreciate a book spoilers thread. But hey, I won't ***** if I stumble upon one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.