*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,519 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
boogieman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who was Cindy, the first model with the fur?
The Devil
Post 666

Great episode. Love Don, what a hero.
Joan Wilder
AG
The waitress reminded me of the women from the *****house he grew up with.

Rachel and Faye were my favorites of Don's women.

Peggy's date was Brian Krakow. BRIAN KRAKOW!
Rudyjax
AG
Bryan Krakow?
AggieDarlin
AG
My So Called Life
harge57
AG
I guess it's been too long. Didn't really get how meaningful his relationship with rachel is/was.
mm98
AG
I suspect it might have more to do with setting up the feel on the final season...closure and all that. But that's just a guess.
Fresh Off The Boat
I'm thinking she's a throwback to that woman that was taking care of him in the *****house.

I think its more the *****house because of the line "You got your $100 worth."
MonkeyKnifeFighter
Joan Wilder
AG
I think many fans looked as Rachel as the one that got away - with the theme of the episode being the life not lived, it was interesting for don to revisit this relationship.

I rewound Pete saying "sh#t" like 3 times I laughed so hard. Good for Kenny.
CT75
AG
quote:
I guess it's been too long. Didn't really get how meaningful his relationship with rachel is/was.
Rachel was the woman that "got away". A sophisticated independent woman who was attracted to Don but wouldn't surrender to his charms. Don probably looks at her "after the fact" perhaps as "the one".

IMO, the woman at the diner is making him think of something that went on in the *****house he grew up in.
MW03
AG
Looks like we're in 1970

http://time.com/3760142/mad-men-nixon-speech/
CT75
AG
quote:
Looks like we're in 1970

http://time.com/3760142/mad-men-nixon-speech/
Correct
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Rachel was the woman that "got away". A sophisticated independent woman who was attracted to Don but wouldn't surrender to his charms.
Yep, he wanted Rachel to run away with him to California when Pete discovered his true identity. But she wouldn't agree because she didn't think it was right to abandon his wife and kids.
Al Bula
AG
The waitress was played by the actress who played Rusty's girlfriend in True Detective last year. Apparently she was Twilight character too but I didn't see those. She is also listed as playing in one episode of The Sopranos, the episode where Christopher bangs the Jewish redhead producer working for Jon Favreau. I don't remember her in that episode at all.
aggiesq
AG
maybe I need to go back and watch the last couple of episodes from last season, but it seems like they totally skipped. didn't the last one end with don and peggy and a couple of others in a diner talking about starting their own shop, maybe with a west coast office? I guess they've skipped to 1970 and pete's statement that "C was like a dream" was the cover, but this episode didn't start where I expected.
PJD Ag 10
AG
That was the second to last one. The 'finale' ended with the partners agreeing to sell 51% to McCann and be an independent subsidiary. It was a play by roger to get Cutler out.
Bunk Moreland
Last year's midseason break episode:

the episode ended with Roger striking a deal with McCann for them to purchase SC&P as an independent subsidiary with Roger as President of the company. It immediately made the partners millionaires, but it was contingent on getting Ted to stay on with the firm, as he was completely burnt out and a mental mess out in California. They brought him home and promised him just work, just creative, and no politics. He accepted. Then dead Bert Cooper sang and danced.
Teddy Perkins
AG
A couple of good links.

Maureen Ryan's Huff Post Blog

Coverage of each season of Mad Men collected in one place
mavsfan4ever
AG
Not sure if it was the long break or what, but I was totally lost for basically the entire episode. And I even watched the last episode of the first half of the season before watching the new episode.

The waitress looked so familiar. Maybe True Detective is what I recognize her from.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Actually, it's greys anatomy that I recognize her from. She played the Jane doe character according to imdb.
OldArmy71
AG
That Maureen Ryan blog is well done. Thanks.
MW03
AG
quote:
Not sure if it was the long break or what, but I was totally lost for basically the entire episode. And I even watched the last episode of the first half of the season before watching the new episode.

The waitress looked so familiar. Maybe True Detective is what I recognize her from.
A full year delay for half of a season really is too long
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:

A full year delay for half of a season really is too long
Just over 10 months from last year's final ep to this year's first. It's too long when splitting up a season, and especially too long when the same show previously went 15 months from the final ep of season 4 to the first ep of season 5.
Thats Not My Name
It was weird seeing Jeff's foil from Community acting like a d-bag to Joan.

That being said, could you imagine being able to talk like that to women in present day society? Good lord some of those comments were a bit egregious.
AggieSouth06
If I took anything away from last night, it's that this show definitely isn't building up to some sort of profound or impactful climax. It will continue to be a character study of these fascinating people in this fascinating time, then it will just end. Kind of like we were simply allowed to peek in on their lives for a little while then the film ran out.

Fitting, I guess.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
If I took anything away from last night, it's that this show definitely isn't building up to some sort of profound or impactful climax. It will continue to be a character study of these fascinating people in this fascinating time, then it will just end. Kind of like we were simply allowed to peek in on their lives for a little while then the film ran out.

Fitting, I guess.

Yeah...basically that's what Weiner has said in any interviews about the subject. It's not going to deviate. There is not going to be a sopranos type ending. It's just going to end.
annie88
AG
I watched the last three eps before the new one last night to remind me of what happened. remembered for the most part, but had forgotten a few things, they had them on all day, but didn't notice until about 5 pm.

I think a lot of things will play out. I also kinda hope they do a flash forward thing showing them like in the 90s an 2000s/beyond. but we'll see.

The stuff with Kenny was nails! I have watched this show from day one and even though each season there are a few misses, they always have a few totally clutch episodes. I thought last nights was just okay, but got better as it went along.

Roger looks like an idiot, but hey, it was the 70s. A hilarious idiot, though!
Aust Ag
AG
Nice to see a show from that time period that doesn't sort of lampoon (too much) the era, or that is a comedy. Bits and pieces remind me a little of that time period, when I was little.

Dad had liquor fully visible at work too!
TexasAggie008
AG
What year/time period did open drinking/smoking in the office become unacceptable?

Did that last into the early 80s?
Quinn
AG
Good question - smoking lasted through the 80s, right? I would guess drinking ended earlier for the most part, though people drank on April 15th last year in the office at the big 4 acct firm I worked for.
rambo_99
What else has the actor that played the brown haired McCann man been in?? I can picture him being a bully in something else but can't place it.

Rudyjax
AG
quote:
Good question - smoking lasted through the 80s, right? I would guess drinking ended earlier for the most part, though people drank on April 15th last year in the office at the big 4 acct firm I worked for.

I worked at companies in the last decade that had a rolling beer fridge. They would bring you a beer. Every Friday at 4:00 was beer thirty. I imagine it has not changed.
MW03
AG
Smoking wasn't banned on airplanes until 1990.
TexasAggie008
AG
I'm not talking about having a beer fridge, that isn't all that uncommon....I'm talking about having an exposed wet bar in the office and making drinks throughout the day, and smoking in the office

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.