Have you ever met any rude celebrities?

137,662 Views | 264 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by eric76
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
before the t-day game last year I was standing outside kyle drinking beer with a buddy. 3 cars pulled up really fast and stopped right in front of us. George Bush got out of the car on the other side of us and Barbara Bush got out on our side. Now it was pretty close to game time and we were kinda drunk at that point. She was standing there just getting ready to go inside so I raised my beer and said," Howdy Mrs. Bush."

She sized us up, (could clearly tell we were drunk) and said Howdy back. By cousin in town from Connecticut was in total shock
SteveA
AG
I met Bush 43 on a mountain bike trail here in dallas. After his ride, he took about 30 minutes to take pictures with all the other mountain bikers that wanted to, and greeted, shook hands, and talked to everyone around. Then said he was going to the Rangers playoff game. Extremely nice guy, and a good rider too. The Secret Service guys all ride with him and most times they will let people tag along in their group.
CDub06
AG
quote:
My Dad used to hang out in racing circles

They're called race TRACKS.

Anyone...?
BaileyAg
AG
I laughed
Madman
AG
I have met a lot of metal bands. The guys from In Flames super cool met them all 3 or 4 times. In fact they remembered me last time. I have met all the guys from mastodon and while they were not dicks they were very standoffish.
LeonardSkinner
Met 41 when he was still VP. My mom, a science teacher, had a student that was competing in (and would win) the Invent America contest. I was seven and my mom took me on the trip to DC.

At the award ceremony, the competitors and their teachers were arranged around the perimeter of a hall, with the audience seated in the middle. Long story short, I ignored the missive to stay seated while the VP congratulated the students and ran to my mom, arriving at the same moment Bush did. The USSS were probably startled, but he reacted graciously enough.

I've had several close encounters with JEB Bush, but haven't "met" him. Seems alright for a politician.

I've met other celebrities at meet and greet type events, so they were on their best behavior. George Foster (Cincinnati Reds slugger) was very kind, especially given that he shared the stage with Johnny Bench and was virtually ignored by the autograph seekers. Loved meeting older baseball players like Bobby Richardson (Yankee infielder), the aforementioned Don Larsen, etc.

I met Harry Bosch creator Michael Connelly at a book signing, and he was engaging when I told him I was related to E.A. Poe. He signed my copies of "The Poet" with a non-generic message and talked with me about a Poe anthology he was editing.
Rudyjax
AG
Probably a very minor celebrity, but I've corresponded quite a bit via email with David Morrell and met him at a book signing/reading.

Awesome dude.
LeonardSkinner
My other celebrity meeting story is one where I didn't actually meet the guy.

My best friend from college is from Maryland, is a huge Cal Ripken, Jr fan, and had never met him. Last summer, she was visiting a friend in Chicago and went to a Cubs game. She texts me this, and I say that I'll look for her on WGN. In the course of watching the game, I see Ripken being interviewed in the broadcast booth.

I let her know this, and in short order, convince her to hustle over to the booth area to meet her baseball hero. She gets there just in time, meets Ripken for the first time and gets a couple of pics.

I briefly bask in how badass I can be while sitting on the couch. Then I realize I'm watching the Cubs and proceed to find something more interesting to do.
Snake Jazz
Met Willie Nelson a few years ago. Kind of quiet, but pleasant.
JD Shellnut
AG
quote:
Met Willie Nelson a few years ago. Kind of quiet, but pleasant.

Probably too high to talk at the time.
Rex Racer
AG
My cousin, who is from a tiny little East Texas town you have never heard of, went on a school trip to Washington D.C. several years ago, and none other than Queen Elizabeth II kissed him on the cheek.

I thought that was pretty cool.
Big Cat `93
AG
quote:
I briefly bask in how badass I can be while sitting on the couch. Then I realize I'm watching the Cubs and proceed to find something more interesting to do.

BTW, I interviewed several well-known athletes and coaches (in our circles, at least) back in the day. Nicest were Quentin Coryatt, Grant Teaff, John David Crow, Bob Watson, and Mark Johnson. RC and Sherm basically just tolerated interviews, which is the best you can hope for. Greg Swindell came off as a surly sort, which may have been because it was at the Astros Caravan stop at Tom's BBQ. Fred Goldsmith seemed to be quite crackers.
AggieRAGE
AG
Oh yea, I forgot I ran into Chris Bosh here in Dallas one time. It was in the summer of 2008 and he was at the Walgreens on McKinney Avenue. I had parked right next to him and we were both walking into the store at the same time. I talked to him for a bit and he was a pretty nice guy. I had my Aggie sticker on my car and when I walked out someone had wrote "I love ATM" on my back windshield. Don't know if it was him that had written it though.
dfphotos
I met the guy from buckcherry outside of stubs back in 1999. I was terrified at his appearance, however he was one of the nicest famous people I've met. Def Leppard (all 9 arms of them) were really nice as well. Played flip cup in CA with some road rules chick and she was surprisingly nice and down to earth.

Forgot I got hammered with bowling for soup, all bad ass and cool guys. Sebastian Bach is a real jerk., by far the biggest dewsh I've met.

Hung out with some MLB players a few times and they were all fun to be around. One of them was a closer so he was pretty big time, just didn't act like it.

[This message has been edited by Dfphotos (edited 4/20/2012 11:35a).]
Duncan Idaho
Met Lyle Lovett once in College Station and again after a concert in the parking lot. Both times, he was such a nice guy that I felt like the jerk for thinking "this guy has nothing better to do than talk to me."

Met Lance Armstrong when he was "that high school kid from plano that just kicked everyone's ass" at a triathlon. He was just as arrogant and had just as big of a chip on his shoulder as you would expect. Can't say I blamed him, since no one really cared about him because he wasn't a football player.

[This message has been edited by Duncan Idaho (edited 4/20/2012 12:11p).]
Waterski02
AG
Met a ton of NFL guys at the HOF last August.

The ones that stand out as nice guys
Bob Lilly
Randal McDaniel
John Randall
Jim Kelly was very nice the all the staff
Shannon Sharpe was surprisingly nice

Huge Dicks:
Emmitt Smith
Sterling Sharpe

The overwhelming theme was the younger guys were A-holes and older players where nicer.

Didn't meet Elway there but my wife spent some time with him as a kid and said he's always been an A-hole. His teeth are even bigger in person.
Two Gun Corcoran
AG
I was once hissed at by Gary Busey. From then on we referred to him as the malibu cobra.
The Milkman
AG
quote:
Sebastian Bach is a real jerk., by far the biggest dewsh I've met.

Dont get me started on J.S. Bach...

Ludwig and Amadeus though...a treat
NE PA Ag
quote:
Dont get me started on J.S. Bach...

Ludwig and Amadeus though...a treat

I felt like Ludwig just wasn't listening to me when I spoke. It's rude to be that way.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
^^^ well played.
LeonardSkinner
quote:
Huge Dicks:
Emmitt Smith
Sterling Sharpe

I won't ask how you know, since this is actually a thread about their personalities.
CDub06
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
I once saw Andre 3000 at a Whole Foods in Atlanta. My girlfriend was facing him as he walked by and says "Is that Andre 3000!" and he overheard and as he walked by he points at her and says "Oh yes it is!" It was pretty awesome.

Also, and this is a very different story that didn't happen to me, but one of my good friends had Otis Nixon (former MLB star) come over to his apartment late one night. Nixon got really messed up and cooked crack in his kitchen. They had to kick him out, and apparently he was trying to call Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown on the phone to pick him up.

We remind him of the story a bunch because its pretty ridiculous/funny, but he hates it because Otis Nixon was a childhood hero of his and he had to see him at his worst.

Old School Brother
played poker in shreveport for several hours with james woods. i thought he was a dick when he busted me about an hour into my session. a little while later, he came over and wanted to talk to me about the hand....he wasn't so bad.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Also, and this is a very different story that didn't happen to me, but one of my good friends had Otis Nixon (former MLB star) come over to his apartment late one night. Nixon got really messed up and cooked crack in his kitchen. They had to kick him out, and apparently he was trying to call Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown on the phone to pick him up.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
For you racing fans, in 2006 I worked for a company that did the graphics for the IROC races (2006 was The last year they had the race) so I was able to be in the IROC garage and pit the week of the race for 3 of the 4 events. Almost all of the drivers who participated were really cool. In one of the races Dale Jr. had his cars next to us and he seemed to be pretty cool from seeing his interactions with the fans and how crazy fans are in trying to get his attention/autograph.

Tony Stewart - Super cool but really busy. His manager was always pulling him away but he tried to talk to us when he could.

Max Papis - Awesome guy. Would sit down and talk to you about his family, racing, life, whatever. Super cool.

Frank Kimmel - Another really nice guy, soft spoken.

Sam Hornish Jr - My dad told him he really appreciated him sharing his faith after he won the Indy 500. Talked with my dad for about 15 minutes about racing. Another good guy.

Steve Kinser - He races in the Outlaw series and looks like an outlaw. Seems rough around the edges until you meet him and is a nice dude. Was a good sport b/c in 2 straight races he flipped his car and landed on his roof.

Mark Martin - Cannot stand the guy. His manager and him acted like they were better than everybody and wanted everybody to know it. After he wouldn't win a race he would hop out of his car and want to fight any other racer he thought did him wrong......the dude stands around 5'6. Maybe he acts that way b/c he is an older driver or b/c he has short man syndrome or both.

Richard Petty - Didn't race IROC but saw him walking around while I was there. Really cool guy! Stopped and talked to us for 20 min and answered any questions we had. Signed any and all autographs.

Ryan Newman - Not cool but can't label him a jerk. A poor man's Tony Stewart.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
Shook hands with Al Franken after a speaking gig when I was at grad school (before he was publicized all extreme lib douchy). He had finished speaking, and he was being rushed out of the auditorium by a handler, and I had just so happened to be going the exact opposite route. I stuck out my hand and said, "Thanks for coming" as I walked by. I think he felt trapped, so he stuck out his hand and said, "Sure," as we shook. Then he whisked on by. He was definitely trying to get out of there.

Saw Dick Van Dyke in a restaraunt at an airport when we were kids. He was alone and in a white fake beard and moustache. My mom was digging for paper for us to ask for an autograph, he noticed us, and he picked up and took off. I didn't blame him. I don't think he was trying to be a jerk so much as keep a low profile.

Saw Dr. Ruth speak at A&M when I was in college. She was interesting and all (this was when she had a tv show and was everywhere at the time). We went to get a picture with her at the MSC afterward, and right when we were next in line (~45 min wait), her handler says "Okay, that's it. She's got to leave. Sorry." We looked at Dr. Ruth with a stunned "Are you serious?!" look, and she waved us over, saying in that extreme German accent "Ees okay, ees okay. Come, come!" and waved us over. I had just enough time to kneel beside her, put arm around her, smile and my friend snapped a picture. I still have it today. She was hobbit sized, no kidding.

When I was a freshman in college, we had just moved to SA. I had never lived in a city with an NBA team before, so My mom and I had resolved to be the biggest hometown fans we could be. At the time, I was wearing a Lakers shirt on the Riverwalk (I loved Magic, Michael Cooper, James Worthy, and that crew before we had moved). I was talking to a friend behind me and not looking where I was going (stupid), when I bumped into someone straight on and pretty hard. I turned around and said "Oh, sorry bout that!" I remember looking up at a very tall man in a black baseball hat and black sunglasses. He smiled and said "No problem." After I walked past, I recognized the guy beside the Giant as Frank Brickowski (Spurs fans, remember him?). I looked back again and realized that I had collided with none other than David Robinson. Of course, I was wearing a Laker shirt at the time. Hooray for me! I felt the urge to run back and explain. Oh well.

Oh, and running around the streets of SA after their 1st championship in 99, I ran by a short black guy looking remarkable composed. I recognized him, ran up in the middle of all the hullaballoo and said "Nice job calling the game, man." It was Mike Tirico. He was very nice, smiled, and said "Thanks!" very enthusiastically. It made us best friends for life, I'm sure.

Oh and once, I got to meet Metallica. From Row DD section 357 in the Toyota Center. They were very far away. But I'm sure they rememeber me.
The Milkman
AG
^^^
Mike Tirico is supposed to be one of the biggest jerks ESPN has ever had on the books by many accounts. Including Keith Olbermann
Quad Dog
AG
For you other NASA nerds out there I met Glynn Lunney while I was on console. He came into the Flight Control room to give his granddaughter a tour, and ended up taking time to come by and say hell to all of us. He told me that the job I was doing at the time would be my favorite job I'd ever do. Pretty cool of him to come by and talk to each of us when his granddaughter was there.
Redstone
AG
I played blackjack with Kevin Costner at Atlantis in the Bahamas in 98. He showed up at about 2am and security roped everything off behind him. He had two models/hookers/lady-friends hanging onto him. Kind of a d*ck, but he would joke around a little. They drank quite a bit for the couple of hours I was there and he was betting 500 or more on each hand. Didn't play right though and I busted a couple of times possibly due to this. Also on the table was a guy who said he was a male model in NY, a hillbilly from Arkansas (who was loaded), some very old dude, and a suburban soccer mom. No idea why he wanted to play with us instead of in a private section. He talked baseball with the hillbilly most of the time.
c-jags
i met Bush 43 before he was governor. he was in San Angelo campaigning and my dad was really in to politics so we went. there were about 10 people there and he took time to talk to everybody. i don't remember the specifics of our conversation but i remember he talked to me for a good while, kinda cool to know i held the presidents attention for 10 minutes at one point in my life. very nice man.

also a side note is that i know (through a friend) a member of his secret service detail. he says nothing but good things about him and his character.

also the band Flyleaf is from Belton, TX near where I live. one of the guitarists visited our small group for a while. very cool down to earth guy. one time he and his wife stayed for quite a while afterwards and we talked about people he had toured with. Said Korn was some of the nicest guys out there and that most christian rock bands are jerks.

interesting.

[This message has been edited by c-jags (edited 4/20/2012 3:24p).]
AggieOO
Tim Cowlishaw was a big doooosh.
luggagecombo12345
c-jags, did you mean bush 43? The older bush was never governor. Just checking so I know who to imagine in my head haha.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
quote:
Forgot about these...

Add Anne Hathaway to the list of super cool/nice celebrities.

The.........things......I.......would.........do........to.......her!!!!!

c-jags
quote:

c-jags, did you mean bush 43?

yes. edited for my failures in typing.

[This message has been edited by c-jags (edited 4/20/2012 3:26p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.