Drinking on Northgate

2,039 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 19 yr ago by
farmersfight
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Writing my final speech and I have to be for this policy that would ban open containers.

Can anyone think of any pros to this policy other than limiting underage drinking?

Please help!
OlAg04
AG
One night I ended up talking to a police officer about it. Not only is it going to limit underage drinking, it is going to drastically reduce the amount of trash left on the backporch. If you stick around about 30 min after the bars close you can see the TREMENDOUS amount of cups, containers, etc. left on the ground. That means the city has to pay people to come clean it all up.
Those are the only things I can think of. You could contact the city council and ask them about the ordinance. That might help some.
It's a hard argument. I personally love the aspect of being able to drink back there.
TXAGFAN
AG
Yes and the city doesn't see a dime of all that money being spent on NG...give me a break if they have to pay someone $100 to clean it up...
mwp02ag
AG
one of the bike cops told me it was because they just cant handle the crowds there. you would think that they would just get more cops or maybe some in cars.

of course as i was leaving that night i saw a chick pull outta the parking lot and hit an explorer head on, put the car in reverse and roar back into the lot, back into a parked car and then try to leave only to be stopped by the guy she originally hit pulling in front of her. as the cops start the sobriety test some chicks run over and grab three of the cops and tell them there was a huge fight in the garage. it was crazy.
Paradochs
Yeah, so i'm the guy in the class who has to make the opposite argument, that the legislation should NOT pass. Any arguments in my favor would be appreciated also...
Mameluke
AG
uh...its fun?
CUwhenitburns04
$$$$$$-I think that the bars on northgate will take a pretty big hit if ppl arent allowed on the back porch. The non-northgate bars will probably see more business though. Drinking & driving could possibly increase as well due to the lack of a central meeting/drinking location.
kataggiebabe06
that guy yall are talking about in the explorer is one of my friends... he said the cops thought he was drunk too at first but he wasnt drinking that night.
houstontexan
so the city thinks that that extra $125 they have to cough up doesn't cover the increased business to bars and gas stations?

only in college station.
Ron Burgundy
So it's ok to bring kegs and coolers to the bar districts in other cities? THAT'S the problem I think they want to get rid of the most. I wouldn't mind if you could still buy cups of beer outside the Chicken, etc. and hang out in the "promenade"- but bringing your own cooler up there is a bit overboard.
txdragonfly
AG
It's mainly DCI that will take the biggest hit from the legislation. The majority of those drinking on the Promenade are drinking beer. However, also affected, but not mentioned, would be the Sleazy Mart. Consider:

Rock decides to hit Northgate but doesn't want to cough up the money in the bars. He figures he can just hit the Sleazy Mart for a suitcase for cheaper. No problem! Grab the suitcase and head to the promenade with everyone else. As he procedes to get totally sloshed on his suitcase (after sharing a few cans with the crowd, who happen to be underage), he realizes that it's time to break the seal. Damn, everything's packed. Oh well, Fitzwilly's is right here, so that looks good. He shows his ID and walks in like every other patron. After using the facilities, he heads right back out to his spot on the promenade for a few more hours of drinking. At the end of the night, he hops in the pickup and heads on home. During the drive he swerves to miss a dog in the road. With his impaired judgement, he does miss the dog, but also wraps himself around a tree. In the end, who is liable for Rock? Himself? Of course not; not in today's society. From the moment he stepped into Fitzwilly's and used their facilities, he became their responsibility.

A scenario I've made up? Hardly. Friend of mine works at Fitz's and relayed this very situation to me when this discussion first came up this summer. At the very least, it's food for thought.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
So rather than protecrt businesses from morons they just make it illegal? That still sucks.
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
Friend of mine works at Fitz's

Obviously a legal expert...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.