Friendly FYI….Gift Card Scams

939 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Caesar4
AggieKatie2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This isn't some Facebook message, but a direct text from a friend in the retail industry.

Sounds like scammers have infiltrated the card manufacturers/packagers, and are replacing the packaging with modified packages that cover part the code on the back of the card with a slightly modified version of the middle digits on packaging.

Be sure you can see the entire number on back of actual card or don't buy.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Yep. Seen somebody get popped by this twice on an Apple gift card bought at a grocery store.. Would not buy a gift card at a regular store. Whatever system they got has been compromised.
NoahAg
I don't get it. What's wrong with the card in the pic?
AtticusMatlock
IIRC they get scanned and loaded at the register but the number has already been assigned to a different card that the scammer has. So you're loading more money onto their card and not this fake card you are buying.

It looks like for this scam they've managed to replace the entire packaging? That's wild.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Also seen where they put a sticker over the scratched off number.
C@LAg
$7.00 just to LOAD the gift card?

when you can pretty much email gift cards directly from every site (stores, restaurants, etc) that takes them

hell no.
gigemags-99
AG
If buying a gift card at the store, don't take the first one off the rack. I pull off several and grab one from the middle.
Ginormus Ag
AG
Or, just don't buy people gifts. We are too nice and wussy as a society. Instead, just give a hug and an " atta boy!"
saw em off
If it takes 10 or so years to use a gift card I gave you, let me know and I'll be sure not to gift you one.
toucan82
gift cards have always been a scam
swc93
AG
Quote:

I pull off several and grab one from the middle
Caesar4
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Yep. Seen somebody get popped by this twice on an Apple gift card bought at a grocery store.. Would not buy a gift card at a regular store. Whatever system they got has been compromised.
The compromised system consists of the un-activated cards being freely accessible on a rack in a store.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.