Do dogs understand hugs?

1,058 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Spore Ag
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Title says it all. I can't tell if butthead cares about a hug or not. I think he does, but he could be just waiting to be fed. Anyway, what says the GB?
An L of an Ag
AG
Dogs know hugs.
C@LAg
dogs in general love and will seek out affection

yes, there are exceptions
deer corn
Dogs don't like the act of a hug, specifically. They do not understand that it means love.

https://coape.org/top-training-tip-why-you-shouldnt-hug-your-dog/#:~:text=A%20few%20people%20disagree%2C%20but,unhappy%20dog%20in%20mild%20cases.
JamesPShelley
deer corn said:

Dogs don't like the act of a hug, specifically. They do not understand that it means love.

https://coape.org/top-training-tip-why-you-shouldnt-hug-your-dog/#:~:text=A%20few%20people%20disagree%2C%20but,unhappy%20dog%20in%20mild%20cases.
250 photos and he makes an assessment? Must be a cat lover, and with no children.

My dogs (4) love their hugs. So long as you don't squeeze the it out of them, I believe they like their hugs.

Here's a top training tip: Hug your dog. Donate cats to Stanley Coren.
Wolfpac 08
AG
Pit Bulls love hugs - you should hug the next one you see
Lex
Do they understand? I know Bird and Ivy know it's a form of human love. KoeZee doesn't care, she isn't a feelings dog. But the other 2. They definitely do know. So I would say it depends on the dog.
Gunny456
AG
Been around lots of dogs because I'm an old. Absolutely most dogs understand affection and love. I have had two labs that get up on the couch with me and demand hugs.
Have a bay horse that will pull you into him with his nose and give a horse hug.
Animals definitely know affection. Not all but a lot.
Sea Speed
AG
Idk about hugs but all 3 of ours understand the **** out of petting to the level that if you sit down they will constantly try to flip your hand on to their head to get those sweet sweet head scratches.
Spore Ag
Always wonder if there is a blood pressure change when shone affection.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.