SWA going to assigned seating

2,270 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by St Hedwig Aggie
fc2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's. About. Time.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/25/investing/southwest-airlines-assigned-seats/index.html

So tired of the "oh this is saved" from the Group A Seat Saving Nazis. And the miraculous "wheelchair required" recoveries that happen on every flight.
jetch17
AG
Good. The cattle call and pre board abusers are dumb.

Gotta deal with that sh*t this afternoon
Forum Troll
AG
Always fly with them since we are so close to hobby. This is a welcome change.
toucan82
Thanks a lot, Biden.... errrr... Kamala
Ryan the Temp
AG
fc2112 said:

And the miraculous "wheelchair required" recoveries that happen on every flight.
Martin Q. Blank
If you're poor, you're still going to get a crappy seat.
javajaws
AG
I'm sure the only reason they are doing this is so they can charge extra for window or aisle seats.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
As a saphire reserve card holder, I assume I'll be given better seats than the plebs
An L of an Ag
AG
Pros:
1) no cattle call/wheelchair line abuse
2) no having to set alarm to check in the day before
3) can sit at the bar a bit longer before boarding

Cons:
1) they will absolutely use this to further gouge customers
2) can't choose your seat
3) ??

Overall, probably a good move (pending the severity of that first Con).
Anchorhold
Are you bragging about flying Southwest?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I didn't mind the open seating or cattle call. It was worse back in the day when they'd hand you a plastic card and people just piled thru one of 3 corrals. Once they put in the stations to line up in order, I think it actually got more orderly than other airlines where you have Group 7 meatheads blocking the way
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Anchorhold said:

As a saphire reserve card holder, I dont brag. My concierge may, but I dont.
Teslag
AG
I thought you couldn't save seats? Can't you just sit there anyway?
Ryan the Temp
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I didn't mind the open seating or cattle call. It was worse back in the day when they'd hand you a plastic card and people just piled thru one of 3 corrals. Once they put in the stations to line up in order, I think it actually got more orderly than other airlines where you have Group 7 meatheads blocking the way
I don't mind it, either because it gives me the ability to make seating decision up to the last minute, which lets me adjust to things like tight connections, lack of bin space, other passengers playing travel Scrabble, etc.
fc2112
Teslag said:

I thought you couldn't save seats? Can't you just sit there anyway?
Oh, you're not supposed to. BUT - many try or pretend the seat is already occupied and they're in the restroom.
falls91
AG
I thought the same until a flight from Reno to Austin just before this New Year's. This lady was saving 9 seats in the rear of the aircraft with 2 flight attendants standing there letting it happen. I made a complaint and was told that there is no policy against saving seats, even 9 seats, but they were sorry my family and I were inconvenienced. I have been flying SWA for 30 years, but my loyalty went away that day.
Ginormus Ag
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Anchorhold said:

As a saphire reserve card holder, I dont brag. My concierge may, but I dont.
I'm not going to brag about getting to chose my seat on my private jet.
barbacoa taco
AG
I personally like open seating, but there is a special place in hell for the Karens who save 2 rows of seats for their families and friends in the C group
Txhuntr
AG
I have loved southwests business model. The trip to my destination isn't memorable for me. So, southwest has been my go to airline because I can usually fly cheaper with them than anyone else (don't come at me with spirit and frontier).If they charge for seat selection, I think this is going to be at best, a push financially for them. I'm not going to pay the same price as an AA flight to go AUS-CLT, but have to layover at BNA where AA has a half dozen direct flights a day. Now if they don't charge for seat selection, I'm all for it since I usually book 3-6 months in advance!
OnlyForNow
AG
Why is everyone assuming they still won't have a "pre-board" group?
Retired Principal
AG
Forum Troll said:

Agree. Hobby is closer for us as well. Just hope they don't screw with Bags Fly Free.
TecRecAg
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Because pre-board doesn't matter if your seat is assigned.
Burdizzo
AG
TecRecAg said:

OnlyForNow said:

Because pre-board doesn't matter if your seat is assigned.

That is until the pre board people use up the space in the overhead bins
Burdizzo
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I had to catch a SWA flight out of Love Field back in the 90's. I got excited because I got to the gate really early, even before the gate crew. I thought this would be my chance to get a single-digit, plastic, board pass. I was the first in line at the counter when it opened. For some reason I got card 20.

Then when they boarded the plane Senator Kay Bailey- Hutchinson and a couple of her lackeys showed up out of nowhere. They had cards 1, 2, and 3. At that point SWA became just another airline to me.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't recall people lining up in order then though. If you were 1-50 or A or whatever, you just funneled thru one chaotic lane. Then they'd open the next lane and then the last
Al Bula
AG
This is God's way of telling me to use another airline when flying through Miami. If I never step foot in the terminal SW uses at MIA it will be too soon. Completely third world, and the one "restaurant" they do have stinks like garbage.
Bunk Moreland
Ryan the Temp said:

DannyDuberstein said:

I don't mind it, either because it gives me the ability to make seating decision up to the last minute, which lets me adjust to things like tight connections, lack of bin space, other passengers playing travel Scrabble, etc.
+1 and +1

I understand why they're making the move because they're leaving so much GP$ on the table compared to their competitors, but I've never once had a situation where someone tried to do the 'reserved' or 'is in the bathroom.'

I fly SWA as much as I can because I rack up points with one of their CC's and I can count on one finger the amount of times I've had a bad experience...and even then it wasn't all their fault.

As for the line...in the last 10-15 years you simply walk up and ask the person near the number in line what they are and they show you their phone or boarding pass and then everyone just settles in exactly where they're slotted. Easy as can be.
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
Retired Principal said:

Forum Troll said:

Agree. Hobby is closer for us as well. Just hope they don't screw with Bags Fly Free.

This is going the way of the dodo or the PAC12
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.