Last full day with my dog

3,970 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by AgLiving06
permabull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ripley passed in my arms at 6pm tonight. It was extremely peaceful and she wasn't nervous at all. The home setting was a great idea.

I was so lucky to have the 3 full days to fully enjoy my time with Ripley before the procedure. I also am lucky for everyone of you who commented, stared or even just viewed my original post. I believe your support helped me know I wasn't alone in this pain.

Thank you all.
scd88
AG
I'm sorry for your loss, brother.
nbbob
Sorry you had to go thru this but you definitely did the right thing.

We are having our dog put down tomorrow morning. She had a cancerous tumor on her leg removed in December only for a larger and more aggressive one to appear in early April. She has many more spots of cancerous cells so there really wasn't anything we could do. It's grown to over the size of a softball in literally 3 weeks and she is throwing up multiple times a day so it's time. Still sucks.
EliteZags
AG
sorry for your loss

just posting in case it may interest anyone, my pom mix is likely pushing at least 13-14 (found in 2012) and has still shown no signs of slowing health/energy
those that follow the anti-aging/longevity community may be familiar with David Sinclair and NMN which I've been taking 500mg daily for several years
about a year ago I started giving my (~18lb) dog roughly 50mg NMN powder mixed in with his food, which should be safe as they make pet NMN chews with this ballpark of dosage (along with several other ingredients) which cost >$0.50/dose. By just using the human grade powder the dosage is over 10x cheaper (DoNotAge has the lowest price 100g powder). This is also likely tone of he main ingredients in many of the dog life extension supplements coming out recently.

tough to gauge the effects as mine has always been really healthy (I still tire out running long before he will) but seems worth it to potentially extend his healthy years, the animal studies on NMN are borderline miraculous in slowing age related deuteriation of the body/organs
permabull
AG
I'm sorry you are going through this too, but I have no regrets it was the right and humane decision for her and it sounds like you are making the right decision too
nbbob
Thank you.
Hey Nav
AG
Very sorry for Ripley's passing. I'm sure you made the right decision.

Try to remember all the love and fun times you had with Ripley.
jokershady
AG
We had to put our precious Gig'em down last summer…he was our first family pet and was actually born on our wedding night so all these little things made it hard….we were constantly questioning if we were doing the right thing and it took the support of others reinforcing that we were in fact doing the right thing…….there were tears with our boys, my wife, and myself….but he's now in a better place.

You did the right thing.
JMac03
AG
Hugs to you perma and nbbob. Just relish knowing your puts are (or will be) running and playing pain free. Think of the amazing life you gave the pups.
nbbob
Went to the vet at 10:30. Really a peaceful passing and the staff was very nice. Last night was a hard night for her - she had a couple of accidents and maybe slept for an hour so that reinforced we made the right decision. Thankful for all the memories we created with her.
Tanker123
permabull said:

Ripley passed in my arms at 6pm tonight. It was extremely peaceful and she wasn't nervous at all. The home setting was a great idea.

I was so lucky to have the 3 full days to fully enjoy my time with Ripley before the procedure. I also am lucky for everyone of you who commented, stared or even just viewed my original post. I believe your support helped me know I wasn't alone in this pain.

Thank you all.
I think I know how you feel. I can't imagine life without Bao and Yuki who are huskies. I am sorry for your loss.
JMac03
AG
nbbob said:

Went to the vet at 10:30. Really a peaceful passing and the staff was very nice. Last night was a hard night for her - she had a couple of accidents and maybe slept for an hour so that reinforced we made the right decision. Thankful for all the memories we created with her.

Hugs to you today and in the coming days.
nbbob
Thank you!
AgLiving06
We just put our pup down.

She was 9 years old and the best pup.

She had lymphoma and though she went into remission once, the chemo failed the second time. The presnisone worked for a bit, but it was time.

She got all the meats and cheeses she could want today and went peacefully.

It hurts so bad, but I know it was the best for her. She looked at me and I knew she understood.
nbbob
AgLiving06 said:

We just put our pup down.

She was 9 years old and the best pup.

She had lymphoma and though she went into remission once, the chemo failed the second time. The presnisone worked for a bit, but it was time.

She got all the meats and cheeses she could want today and went peacefully.

It hurts so bad, but I know it was the best for her. She looked at me and I knew she understood.

Condolences for your loss. It is a tough call to make but it does seem they seem know on some level.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

My last dog went with lymphoma as well. Chemo failed the 1st time. I took him to the vet one day as he was very weak and acting strange. That night he started brain seizures. Luckily they were able to sedate him quickly to stop them. I would have hated to make that rush drive to the vet with him having brain seizures. The vet told me to come in the next day so he could be put down. When I got there they warned me he was heavily sedated and may not recognize me. They rolled him in on cart since he could not walk. His face lit up with joy and he tried his best to get off the cart and jump up to me. After he settled down in my arms, they started the procedure. That night was spent digging a big hole in the back yard, drinking whisky, and putting him in his final resting place.
AgLiving06
PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

My last dog went with lymphoma as well. Chemo failed the 1st time. I took him to the vet one day as he was very weak and acting strange. That night he started brain seizures. Luckily they were able to sedate him quickly to stop them. I would have hated to make that rush drive to the vet with him having brain seizures. The vet told me to come in the next day so he could be put down. When I got there they warned me he was heavily sedated and may not recognize me. They rolled him in on cart since he could not walk. His face lit up with joy and he tried his best to get off the cart and jump up to me. After he settled down in my arms, they started the procedure. That night was spent digging a big hole in the back yard, drinking whisky, and putting him in his final resting place.

My pup hadn't been sleeping well with super heavy breathing. She barely slept last night because she just couldn't get comfortable. When they gave her the shot to relax her, she immedately went limp and I knew she was finally able to relax. I had what ******** cancer did to her. She should have been chasing squirrels and going for walks, not struggling to breathe.

I just know she's in heaven waiting for me and I miss her so much.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.