High Achieving Women Changing Last Names Post Wedding

7,766 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TexasAggie81
Ginormus Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is he allowed to hold her purse? It would be nice of her to let him do that since that is where she keeps his nuts.
maroon barchetta
Ginormus Ag said:

Is he allowed to hold her purse? It would be nice of her to let him do that since that is where she keeps his nuts.

False.

They are in a jar on top of the fridge.
superunknown
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Ragoo said:

maroon barchetta said:

I met a couple a while back that have a hyphenated last name.

He added her last name to his and she added his to hers.

It's odd.
I've seen where the wife keeps her maiden and hyphens the husbands to the end. So they each share his last name.

That's pretty common.

Him adding her last name to his so they have an "equal share" of the last name is weird.

but they get 50 points for using all their letters
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
fc2112 said:

My wife kept her last name but took my first name.

Sure, it's a little confusing, but w like to think outside the box.

That's because 11 years olds just go along with what you tell them.
HarleySpoon
AG
Claude! said:

Flashdiaz said:

what do gay couple's do in regards to the last name when they get married?
A colleague of mine took his husband's name. My uncle kept his bachelor(?) name. Based on those anecdotes, I can only assume that they flip a coin and are bound by whatever it lands on.

"Great dinner, you call it tonight …heads or tails."
Martin Q. Blank
Never trust a woman with a hyphenated last name.
jograki
AG
Opposite for me. Mine is 4 letters and my husband's is 11. So I kept mine!

To answer OP's question, I got married in my mid 30s and I'm pretty established at my company. I have no desire to make the change, and my husband doesn't care.
Tobias Funke
AG
JMac03 said:

Flashdiaz said:

Many do a hyphenated last name.

My close friends did hyphenated, but their original last name is first.

So like

A_____ B____-C ______
and
A_____ C____- B______

You know **** Butt-*** too?? Small world!
The Porkchop Express
jwoodmd said:

dabo man said:

This isn't really my board, but you seem to have some pretty serious issues with women. I'm interested to see how this thread goes down.
He has some major issue with women. He should return to India so he's fully back in his system and doesn't keep trying to understand more western cultures.
3 minutes of homework reveal his not-so-nice history of OPs about women. This is only from 2024.

• High Achieveing Women Changing Last Names Post Wedding
  • Women Lost C-Suite Seats in Corporate America, S&P Says
  • "Women's Work" soon officially measured in government data
  • So it's not just us human men who don't understand women
  • International Women's Day
  • Gender Pay Gap in US Narrowed to Smallest on Record Last Year (first sentence "Now does it mean we will stop hearing women constantly whine about it?")
  • St. Paul makes history with an all-female council "First line: I'm sure nothing will go wrong here. A nice DEI paradise)
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If I remember correctly, he's the poster that said the wife shouldn't be the breadwinner of the household and makes the man look inferior when it happens.
nai06
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

If I remember correctly, he's the poster that said the wife shouldn't be the breadwinner of the household and makes the man look inferior when it happens.

Speaking from experience, it's pretty damn awesome when that happens.
jwoodmd
The Porkchop Express said:

jwoodmd said:

dabo man said:

This isn't really my board, but you seem to have some pretty serious issues with women. I'm interested to see how this thread goes down.
He has some major issue with women. He should return to India so he's fully back in his system and doesn't keep trying to understand more western cultures.
3 minutes of homework reveal his not-so-nice history of OPs about women. This is only from 2024.

• Gender Pay Gap in US Narrowed to Smallest on Record Last Year (first sentence "Now does it mean we will stop hearing women constantly whine about it?")
  • St. Paul makes history with an all-female council "First line: I'm sure nothing will go wrong here. A nice DEI paradise)

Oh, I know this poster's history. He posted about proudly beating his chest bragging that he tears up certificates and participation trophys in front of his young daughter and throws them in the trash in front of her and calls her a loser because she didn't "win"
LeonardSkinner
HarleySpoon said:

Claude! said:

Flashdiaz said:

A colleague of mine took his husband's name. My uncle kept his bachelor(?) name. Based on those anecdotes, I can only assume that they flip a coin and are bound by whatever it lands on.

"Great dinner, you call it tonight …heads or tails."

Whichever one is tails up takes the other's….
Name.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
jwoodmd said:

jwoodmd said:

dabo man said:

Oh, I know this poster's history. He posted about proudly beating his chest bragging that he tears up certificates and participation trophys in front of his young daughter and throws them in the trash in front of her and calls her a loser because she didn't "win"

It's a Bombay Ag troll, and it's cringe as hell

He may even be MFBarnes, but my money is mostly on Bombay
jwoodmd
Ghost of Bisbee said:

jwoodmd said:

jwoodmd said:

dabo man said:

It's a Bombay Ag troll, and it's cringe as hell

He may even be MFBarnes, but my money is mostly on Bombay
It's Bombay for sure. Felt/known that for while. I posted several months ago calling him out and asked when he'd bring up the toilet paper issues and how we in the west do it wrong. He's part troll but he's also part true to his origins.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Personally I couldn't care less about what other people do with their names but I did get a chuckle out of this lady I worked with many years ago who hyphenated her last name when she got married. Why was it funny? Because her husband had the same last name. She was Monica Taylor-Taylor. I found out quickly that she did NOT have a sense of humor.
infinity ag
Know Your Enemy said:

Personally I couldn't care less about what other people do with their names but I did get a chuckle out of this lady I worked with many years ago who hyphenated her last name when she got married. Why was it funny? Because her husband had the same last name. She was Monica Taylor-Taylor. I found out quickly that she did NOT have a sense of humor.

Bush's niece Lauren Bush married Ralph Lauren's son. Her married name would have been Lauren Lauren but she calls herself "Lauren Bush Lauren".

So my original question was mainly for the ladies.
How do strong high achieving women who actually do change their last names reconcile with it as it seems to go against being a strong woman because men never do so.
dabo man
AG
Quote:

This. Let's say Bob and Debbie want to get married. Debbie wants to keep her last name, and Bob is cool with it. How does it affect me? It doesn't. It's none of my business, and I have no opinion.

This was something on the wall of my first grade classroom waaaaaay back in 1978-79. It's never left me, and I wish more people had learned this lesson.

maroon barchetta
dabo man said:

Quote:

This. Let's say Bob and Debbie want to get married. Debbie wants to keep her last name, and Bob is cool with it. How does it affect me? It doesn't. It's none of my business, and I have no opinion.

This was something on the wall of my first grade classroom waaaaaay back in 1978-79. It's never left me, and I wish more people had learned this lesson.

Congrats on having the forethought to bring a camera to school at such a young age.
dabo man
AG
Mom took a picture that year at the class Christmas party. I scanned it at 600 dpi and cropped that sign. I'm a BIG believer in not worrying about sh** that doesn't involve you.
JMac03
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

JMac03 said:

Flashdiaz said:

So like

A_____ B____-C ______
and
A_____ C____- B______

That's just dumb.

Do the kids have hyphenated last names?
If so do her daughters have 2 hyphens when they get married? Or do they drop one of the hyphens?

Why would a woman who hates the patriarchy want to keep her oppressive father's last name?

Why would a woman who hates the patriarchy want to get legally bound to a man in the first place?

Seriously- if you have that many issues please just remove urself from the dating pool and make life easier for the rest of us men.

^^ and by this I don't mean jmac but women who have issues following traditional cultural norms^^

It was two men.
nai06
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

JMac03 said:

Flashdiaz said:

So like

A_____ B____-C ______
and
A_____ C____- B______

That's just dumb.

If so do her daughters have 2 hyphens when they get married? Or do they drop one of the hyphens?

Why would a woman who hates the patriarchy want to keep her oppressive father's last name?

Why would a woman who hates the patriarchy want to get legally bound to a man in the first place?

Seriously- if you have that many issues please just remove urself from the dating pool and make life easier for the rest of us men.

^^ and by this I don't mean jmac but women who have issues following traditional cultural norms^^

You seem really upset by this
swimmerbabe11
I haven't technically changed my name yet but that has 100% to do with the fact that its a pain in the kiester.
Monday is my one year anniversary and I'm gonna go to the SS office to get the process started.

I tried to convince my husband to change his name with me and just us pick out a new last name, but he declined. I tried to bargain for shortening his last name..but he also said it was a no go.
jwoodmd
Ags4DaWin said:

JMac03 said:

Flashdiaz said:

So like

A_____ B____-C ______
and
A_____ C____- B______

That's just dumb.

Cultural norms as defined by you of course
swimmerbabe11
Ags4DaWin said:

JMac03 said:

Flashdiaz said:

So like

A_____ B____-C ______
and
A_____ C____- B______

That's just dumb.

I get the impression that you have not been around many latino couples
Ags4DaWin
swimmerbabe11 said:

Ags4DaWin said:

JMac03 said:

Flashdiaz said:

So like

A_____ B____-C ______
and
A_____ C____- B______

That's just dumb.

That's a different culture.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

I have zero problem with Latinas following the naming traditions of their culture.

What I think is asinine is a woman who supposedly wants to get married which is an arrangement where you agree to be dependent on each other demand in the same breath to retain her independence.

Sorry....in marriage ur either all in or all out.

Taking a common family name is symbolic of joining together to be one family.

The psychology of women who don't want to take their husband's name is wacky and makes no sense.

"I want to be independent except when it doesn't benefit me and then I will demand the man fulfill his traditional gender roles even though I refuse to fulfill my own and you better like it and let me have my way or I will divorce you. OMG I am sooo oppressed because Starbucks didn't have my favorite latte today."

^^the modern western woman mindset in a nutshell^^
Ags4DaWin
swimmerbabe11 said:

I haven't technically changed my name yet but that has 100% to do with the fact that its a pain in the kiester.
Monday is my one year anniversary and I'm gonna go to the SS office to get the process started.

I tried to convince my husband to change his name with me and just us pick out a new last name, but he declined. I tried to bargain for shortening his last name..but he also said it was a no go.

Good for him.
Ags4DaWin
jwoodmd said:

Ags4DaWin said:

JMac03 said:

Flashdiaz said:

So like

A_____ B____-C ______
and
A_____ C____- B______

That's just dumb.

Cultural norms as defined by our judeo western european culture in most of Europe and the US up until third wave feminism.

Read above.

Latino culture has their own naming tradition that signifies joining together of families.

I am 100% okay with their naming culture.

Hyphenated names and women refusing to take their husband's last names was a knee jerk reaction of third wave feminism that makes zero sense except that "women didn't want to".....there is no reason for it other than women trying to squeal "oppression" and "the patriarchy".

If you can give me a great explanation why a woman should buck cultural norms and refuse to take her husband's last name then I will be happy to admit I am wrong.
jwoodmd
Ags4DaWin said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Ags4DaWin said:

JMac03 said:

Flashdiaz said:

So like

A_____ B____-C ______
and
A_____ C____- B______

That's just dumb.

That's a different culture.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

I have zero problem with Latinas following the naming traditions of their culture.

What I think is asinine is a woman who supposedly wants to get married which is an arrangement where you agree to be dependent on each other demand in the same breath to retain her independence.

Sorry....in marriage ur either all in or all out.

Taking a common family name is symbolic of joining together to be one family.

The psychology of women who don't want to take their husband's name is wacky and makes no sense.

"I want to be independent except when it doesn't benefit me and then I will demand the man fulfill his traditional gender roles even though I refuse to fulfill my own and you better like it and let me have my way or I will divorce you. OMG I am sooo oppressed because Starbucks didn't have my favorite latte today."

^^the modern western woman mindset in a nutshell^^
You have no clue how much of an argument you made for either the man's or the woman's name being taken as the family name. And what of gay/lesbian couples.

What a tiny bubble you live in.
jwoodmd
Ags4DaWin said:

jwoodmd said:

Ags4DaWin said:

JMac03 said:

Flashdiaz said:

So like

A_____ B____-C ______
and
A_____ C____- B______

That's just dumb.

Cultural norms as defined by our judeo western european culture in most of Europe and the US up until third wave feminism.

Read above.

Latino culture has their own naming tradition that signifies joining together of families.

I am 100% okay with their naming culture.

Hyphenated names and women refusing to take their husband's last names was a knee jerk reaction of third wave feminism that makes zero sense except that "women didn't want to".....there is no reason for it other than women trying to squeal "oppression" and "the patriarchy".

If you can give me a great explanation why a woman should buck cultural norms and refuse to take her husband's last name then I will be happy to admit I am wrong.
You have made most vague arguments with lots of "most". And of course, you will be the arbiter of the "great explanation."

Please keep your banal archaic stuff on F16. Good lord man.
Ags4DaWin
Okay let me break it down for you.

Modern, Single Women screech constantly that they cannot find a good man.

Ask a woman what a good man is and most will say
1) Loyal
2) protective of her and the children
3) willing to sacrifice of himself for her good and the good of the children
4) willing to work as hard as necessary to provide
5) takes an active role in the relationship and rearing of children

Well that is how traditional men behave.

If a burglar comes into the house at night, a "good man" is the one who will be the first to the door risking life and limb to protect his family and wife.

Now as a man....why would I be willing to sacrifice THAT much of who I am for a woman who is unwilling to even make the symbolic gesture of giving herself to me by taking my last name.

The traditional definition of a good man and the kind of man women profess to want is one who will sacrifice everything he is up to and if necessary including his life for his wife and family.

Women expect that and want that blanket of security and protection. They want to be able to depend on their man for that.

And in the same breath they are unwilling to take his name to tell him and the world that she is his to protect, defend, love, and provide for.

It's no wonder modern men don't want to be in relationships when that is the expectation of the modern American woman.

Women want all the perks but are unwilling to even make symbolic gestures that would make a man want to take care of them.

Sorry....if you don't want to be mine in the sense that we have the same last name then I don't feel a single ounce of obligation to behave as if you were mine.

And by that I mean mine to cherish, protect, respect, and love to my dying breath. And as a man this is what the good ones want to do. Women, you don't get it both ways. You can be independent and have a man who treats you like an independent woman. Or you can have a man who wants to be yours and wants you to be his and lose that independence.

And that is where the disconnect in the modern world is happening.

You think I am banal.

I think you are an pseudointellectual hiding behind the facade of being enlightened when really u just have no clue how the world works.

That's cool and alright. I have about the same contempt for u as u do me. Even though ur positions are bad, i could respect u jf you could at least make the effort of articulating your opinion instead of just demeaning others. But ur just arrogant and lazy about your positions and that is 100% absolutely contemptible.
infinity ag
Ags4DaWin said:

JMac03 said:

Flashdiaz said:

So like

A_____ B____-C ______
and
A_____ C____- B______

That's just dumb.

The same cousin of mine who lives in LA had this hyphenated last name, also had a kid with her maiden last name as her son's middle name. And the dad's last name as the kid's last name. When I google the kid, the middle name seems to be gone now.
infinity ag
Know Your Enemy said:

hahahha this is funny!
The Porkchop Express
Ags4DaWin said:

Modern, Single Women screech
Opinion revealed in 4 words. No need to read the rest.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
jwoodmd
Ags4DaWin said:

Okay let me break it down for you.

Modern, Single Women screech constantly that they cannot find a good man.

Ask a woman what a good man is and most will say
1) Loyal
2) protective of her and the children
3) willing to sacrifice of himself for her good and the good of the children
4) willing to work as hard as necessary to provide
5) takes an active role in the relationship and rearing of children

Well that is how traditional men behave.

If a burglar comes into the house at night, a "good man" is the one who will be the first to the door risking life and limb to protect his family and wife.

Now as a man....why would I be willing to sacrifice THAT much of who I am for a woman who is unwilling to even make the symbolic gesture of giving herself to me by taking my last name.

The traditional definition of a good man and the kind of man women profess to want is one who will sacrifice everything he is up to and if necessary including his life for his wife and family.

Women expect that and want that blanket of security and protection. They want to be able to depend on their man for that.

And in the same breath they are unwilling to take his name to tell him and the world that she is his to protect, defend, love, and provide for.

It's no wonder modern men don't want to be in relationships when that is the expectation of the modern American woman.

Women want all the perks but are unwilling to even make symbolic gestures that would make a man want to take care of them.

Sorry....if you don't want to be mine in the sense that we have the same last name then I don't feel a single ounce of obligation to behave as if you were mine.

And by that I mean mine to cherish, protect, respect, and love to my dying breath. And as a man this is what the good ones want to do. Women, you don't get it both ways. You can be independent and have a man who treats you like an independent woman. Or you can have a man who wants to be yours and wants you to be his and lose that independence.

And that is where the disconnect in the modern world is happening.

You think I am banal.

I think you are an pseudointellectual hiding behind the facade of being enlightened when really u just have no clue how the world works.

That's cool and alright. I have about the same contempt for u as u do me. Even though ur positions are bad, i could respect u jf you could at least make the effort of articulating your opinion instead of just demeaning others. But ur just arrogant and lazy about your positions and that is 100% absolutely contemptible.
7 edit midnight rant. Sure intense, you are (sorry u r based on ur above writing)
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.