Straight Out of The Hunt for Red October

3,654 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Krazykat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Except we have it.

American submarines will further extend their advantage in the undersea domain. In the first of a kind, the U.S. Navy has fitted a new form of propulsion, magnetohydrodynamic drive (MHD), to a Virginia class submarine. This promises to make the submarine virtually undetectable, the holy grail of naval warfare.

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2024/04/u-s-navy-submarine-first-in-world-fitted-with-silent-caterpillar-drive/

April Fools!

Sticks&Stones
AG
Krazykat said:

April Fools!
Dang! I would like to have seen Montana
80s Guy
Sticks&Stones said:

Krazykat said:

April Fools!
Dang! I would like to have seen Montana

Do you miss your round American woman that would raise rabbits and cook them for you?
Sticks&Stones
AG
CaptAmerica03
FWIW, there is a company that has discovered a means of true ocean radar, not just sonar... can detect stealth subs and much more.

The Russians can sing or go to caterpillar drive all they want... even seismic anomalies will no longer be anomalies.

Jonesy and Bart Mancuso will have a much easier time going forward. And Jack Ryan can truly just write a memo.
TexasRebel
AG
Are you suggesting radio waves propagate underwater?
EliteElectric
One ping Yuri, one ping only
AggieMPH2005
I think it's just the plot from The Spy Who Loved Me…
Sticks&Stones
AG
EliteElectric said:

One ping Yuri Vasili, one ping only
EliteElectric
Sticks&Stones said:

EliteElectric said:

One ping Yuri Vasili, one ping only

I stand corrected
Hwy30East
I have nothing to add, other than "The Hunt for Red October" is one of my all time favorite movies.

"Now understand commander, that torpedo did not self-destruct. You heard it hit the hull. And I was never here."
randy828
AG

EliteElectric
oldschool87
AG
EliteElectric said:

One ping Yuri, one ping only
Vasili...
Smeghead4761
Hwy30East said:

I have nothing to add, other than "The Hunt for Red October" is one of my all time favorite movies.

"Now understand commander, that torpedo did not self-destruct. You heard it hit the hull. And I was never here."
The book that launched Tom Clancy as one of the most successful authors of the late 1980s into the 1990s.
Sticks&Stones
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

Hwy30East said:

The book that launched Tom Clancy as one of the most successful authors of the late 1980s into the 1990s.

If you like conspiracy theories, watch the documentary called "The Real Hunt for Red October". Apparently, Clancy knew a lot of things he shouldn't have and was the subject of intense investigation for citing "Top Secret" material.

There's also a striking parallel to the Russian sub K-129 which is believed to have been on a rogue mission to launch nuclear missiles on the U.S. when it sank 1600 miles off the coast of Hawaii.
maroon barchetta
Sticks&Stones said:

Smeghead4761 said:

Hwy30East said:

If you like conspiracy theories, watch the documentary called "The Real Hunt for Red October". Apparently, Clancy knew a lot of things he shouldn't have and was the subject of intense investigation for citing "Top Secret" material.

There's also a striking parallel to the Russian sub K-129 which is believed to have been on a rogue mission to launch nuclear missiles on the U.S. when it sank 1600 miles off the coast of Hawaii.

What year was that?
randy828
AG
Sticks&Stones
AG
Claude!
Sticks&Stones said:

Smeghead4761 said:

Hwy30East said:

I recall that James Olson at the Bush School really didn't like Clancy for that reason, to the point where he told us "I will never buy one of his books...but I'll check them out of the library because they're just so damn good."
socalpoohah
Smeghead4761 said:

Hwy30East said:

I remember Red Storm Rising being the first book to really set him apart…but Hunt for Red October became the movie.
agwrestler
AG
YouTube Red Storm Rising DCS. A channel has created missions in DCS and captures footage combined with the audio book reading to really enhance the story.

This book should have made it to the big screen, but it highlights the worst of communism so Hollywood would have tried to censor/blacklist it.
Dufflepud
Yuri pinged me twice last night. It was wonderful!
maroon barchetta
Stat Monitor Repairman

Crazy video of torpedo washed up on beach.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.