Baltimore's Key Bridge collapsed after being hit by cargo ship

6,296 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by LPHA
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is crazy. It went down like it was made of match sticks!

I'm not an engineer, but I think this is bad.

C@LAg
it'll buff out.
The Fife

Wanna get away?
Al Bula
AG
Frank Sobotka when he heard the news:

Bill Rawls says this happened on the wrong side of the bridge. McNulty is mad for sure.

JMac03
AG
HOLY moly. That is so sad. I wonder if there were any cars on the bridge

Edited, yes there was, as well as people working on the bridge.
JMac03
AG
Quote:

Maryland State Transportation secretary confirms contractors working on bridge at time of collapse

Maryland State Transportation Secretary Paul Wiedefeld told reporters there were workers on the Francis Scott Key Bridge at the time of its collapse.

"We know there were individuals on the bridge at the time of the collapse, working on the bridge, contractors for us," he said at a news conference Tuesday morning.

Wiedefeld said the workers were "basically doing some concrete deck repair," but said they did not know how many vehicles were involved.

He added that the transport authority has set up a facility for family members of those who were believed to be on the bridge at the time of its collapse.

Baltimore Fire Chief James Wallace says authorities have detected vehicles submerged in the water.
"Our sonar has detected the presence of vehicles submerged in the water," said Wallace at a news conference on the collapse of Francis Scott Key Bridge. "I don't have a count of that yet."

He said emergency services are using sonar, drones and infrared technology as a part of their search for people and vehicles who may have fallen from the Key Bridge into the Patapsco River.
Spicy McHaggis
AG
I think the next time I have to cross a major river, I'm going to choose to either caulk the wagon and float it or pay $5 to have a Native American help me.
Moral High Horse
maroon barchetta
How does that even happen in the 21st century?

Was there no pilot boat to follow?
C@LAg
maroon barchetta said:

they had two power outages.

lost engines or steering or both.

a pilot boat is not going to help in that case.
maroon barchetta
Wow. The timing of that is unthinkable.
The Porkchop Express
AG
At least 7 people missing. 2 rescued from the water.

The container ship Dali, which had just left the Port of Baltimore and was en route to Colombo, Sri Lanka, was not being piloted by its own crew, but by local pilots who are used specifically to avoid accidents like the one that occurred early Tuesday morning.

Much longer video showing the ship losing power twice. The Baltimore Sun says the water temperature was 49 degrees, and the air temperature was 41 degrees, so even if you did survive the fall and get out of your car somehow, unless you were an incredible swimmer, it was likely not going to be favorable outcome.

62strat
AG
God imagine if that was at 8am. 34k cars average a day cross it.
JMac03
AG
62strat said:

This is what I told my daughter. Time wise happened about the best time it could.

On the news, they were talking about some bridges basically have concrete barriers under the water that direct them to the right place if they get out of alignment. I guess either this one didn't have it or it happened after they crossed those concrete barriers.
Swarely
I believe concrete dolphins became a thing in 1980 after the Sunshine Skyway Bridge collapse. The Key bridge was built 3 years before.

I could be wrong though.
BaitShack
AG
Hey guys, it looks like the ship hit the bridge. My guess is a clogged fuel filter on the ship.
dabo man
AG
There are a number of high-quality pictures here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-68664339
BaitShack
AG
BaitShack said:

Hey guys, it looks like the ship hit the bridge. My guess is a clogged fuel filter on the ship.
This was sarcasm btw. I was reading all the experts/wild speculation on another board.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Al Bula said:

Frank Sobotka when he heard the news:

Bill Rawls says this happened on the wrong side of the bridge. McNulty is mad for sure.

Tell Rawls to get his ass up to my office...we need to chat.
UnderoosAg
AG
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiit
Sticks&Stones
AG
62strat said:

Adding to that small victory is this:

"A massive cargo ship leaving the Port of Baltimore lost power and issued a mayday call shortly before striking a major bridge early Tuesday, giving officials a brief chance to stop cars and try to evacuate the span before it collapsed into the river."
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13240657/baltimore-bridge-collapse-ship.html

It could have been much worse
The Porkchop Express
AG
BaitShack said:

Maybe pick your spots better.
AggieVictor10
AG
Holy ****ing ****
hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. good times create weak men. and weak men create hard times.

less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real
Lol,lmao
Fjb
AggieArchitect04
AG
Terrible tragedy. Sorry to see this and prayers for the families of those affected.
Matsui
AG
terrible. sorry to their families for the loss of life.
rwtxag83
AG
C@LAg said:

maroon barchetta said:

I'm wondering why they didn't drop anchor. Guy on TV said they did, but I'm thinking this should have happened much earlier. If they get power back up, they can just pull it back aboard.

Crazy.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Aston04
AG
From the video - it appears the first power loss was within a minute of impact. Not enough time to stop that beast.
C@LAg
Aston04 said:

From the video - it appears the first power loss was within a minute of impact. Not enough time to stop that beast.
4 minutes from first outage to collision.

most common videos posted are all time lapse.
91_Aggie
AG
rwtxag83 said:

C@LAg said:

maroon barchetta said:

I'm wondering why they didn't drop anchor. Guy on TV said they did, but I'm thinking this should have happened much earlier. If they get power back up, they can just pull it back aboard.

Crazy.

Will an anchor really stop a.ship that big while it is moving... figured it would slow it down but it would drag along the bottom for a while
Sea Speed
AG
91_Aggie said:

rwtxag83 said:

C@LAg said:

maroon barchetta said:

Crazy.

Will an anchor really stop a.ship that big while it is moving... figured it would slow it down but it would drag along the bottom for a while

No it wouldn't and it takes time to drop the anchor and for it to get fetched up. They aren't magic and they aren't going to stop a ship in their tracks. They are meant to keep a stopped ship in one general place, not to stop a ship.
Sea Speed
AG
Pics from my pilot buddy.

maroon barchetta
Good Lord. That's a lot of force.
gabehcoud
rakonk force
swc93
AG
NPR story reporter said the bridge did not have concrete bumpers or dolphins; that they were recommended to be added but something/something $$$.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
rwtxag83 said:

C@LAg said:

maroon barchetta said:

Crazy.
At that weight, even at a slow speed dropping anchor isn't going to stop it on a dime. Also, dropping anchor isn't just flipping a switch. It's a manual process.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.