That is one sexy spy ...

4,809 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ryan the Temp
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I just installed the Alexa Echo Show 15 in my AirBnB. This thing is really nice and has some great functionality that my guests should like. I can imagine something like this being really useful for families.

It is, however, slightly ridiculous that roughly 5% of the small number of available widgets are all related to fart noises.
Anchorhold
And when do we get pictures of Kristen?
Howdy Dammit
AG
What does that do for normal houses that is worthwhile?
Ryan the Temp
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

What does that do for normal houses that is worthwhile?
I could see it being of value for families who often have a lot of events on the calendar. We can control all of the lights and other connected smart devices in the place as wells as view security cameras. You can also use the drop-in and announce features to communicate around the house. This device can be used for video calls and also has Fire TV integrated. We have Amazon Music Unlimited, which lets us play music on any or all connected devices. Our guests really love the music availability and I use it constantly.
Proposition Joe
The calendar functionality is actually the biggest weakness of the Echo Show. The rest of the features we love, but we had to actually go with a Skylight to get solid calendar functionality.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Some dumbass renter is probably gonna ruin that thing
Counterpoint
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

torrid
AG
We had something similar in my house. It was a pen and a pad of paper.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Leeman
Ah, so you can "drop in" and see what's going on.
UnderoosAg
AG
Alexa, open the pod bay doors
superunknown
AG
Counterpoint said:

DannyDuberstein said:

I was thinking of that kid in Raising Arizona who already knows his ABCs scrawling "FART" on H.I. McDonough's wall but this is better.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Leeman said:

Ah, so you can "drop in" and see what's going on.
The camera is disabled by us as a default, and we cannot eavesdrop, not that we'd want to, anyway. We have a sign up that tells guests they are welcome to unplug the devices or ask us to remove them if it makes them uncomfortable.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Proposition Joe said:

The calendar functionality is actually the biggest weakness of the Echo Show. The rest of the features we love, but we had to actually go with a Skylight to get solid calendar functionality.
We use an integrated Google calendar. The primary use for it is to have checkout up on the calendar with checkout instructions available.

We use the photo gallery to show recommendations for restaurants and other local attractions.
Counterpoint
AG
superunknown said:

I was thinking of that kid in Raising Arizona who already knows his ABCs scrawling "FART" on H.I. McDonough's wall but this is better.

Especially considering the OP's username, I kinda had to!
Teslag
AG
I won't stay in an Airbnb that has internal cameras
AgTrip
Teslag said:

I didn't think internal cameras were allowed. I know they're ok outside but I'm not sure inside are allowed.
Tex117
AG
Teslag said:

I wont stay in an Airbnb.

The value of those products have long since passed unless under a very specific set of circumstances.
NoahAg
Tex117 said:

Teslag said:

The value of those products have long since passed unless under a very specific set of circumstances.
Interesting. Why not? Unless we're on a road trip and just need a bed for the night we pretty much only use Airbnb of vrbo.
62strat
AG
NoahAg said:

Tex117 said:

Teslag said:

Interesting. Why not? Unless we're on a road trip and just need a bed for the night we pretty much only use Airbnb of vrbo.
on road trips where we need a bed, we use marriott points for a free night, and usually there's a bar or pool or whathave you.

Haven't done too many airbnbs, the two that come to mind are resort type places on table rock lake, but you can book directly through a website they have as well. So it's not some random homeowner renting his house out.
Russell Bradleys Toupee
op be like...

555-PINF
NoahAg said:

Tex117 said:

Teslag said:

Hosts have gotten ridiculous with all of the add on fees and deposits. Why the hell am I paying a cleaning fee if you're requiring me to strip sheets, start laundry, run and put up dishes, etc? When you the add in "host fees" and "service fees," it's typically the same per night rate as a resort style hotel where I don't have to do any of that.
62strat
AG
555-PINF said:

NoahAg said:

Tex117 said:

Teslag said:

Hosts have gotten ridiculous with all of the add on fees and deposits. Why the hell am I paying a cleaning fee if you're requiring me to strip sheets, start laundry, run and put up dishes, etc? When you the add in "host fees" and "service fees," it's typically the same per night rate as a resort style hotel where I don't have to do any of that.
turn around time on these is just a few hours. They may not have time to start laundry or dishwasher if they do it after you leave.
A hotel doesn't have to take the sheets off, wash them, then put them back on, or do the same with dishes. They can cycle through the stock they have.

It's just the nature of someone renting their house.
boy09
AG
For anyone staying in an Airbnb, that's essentially just a fancy clock that you have installed
Complete Idiot
Tex117 said:

Teslag said:

Couldn't disagree more, I want my own space with rooms for kids and not dealing with 50+ random people all around me. Maybe when kids are gone and it's just the wife and I, I will stay in nice, small hotels again.

For now I'm done staying in beached cruise ships.
Slicer97
AG
62strat said:

555-PINF said:

NoahAg said:

Tex117 said:

Teslag said:

turn around time on these is just a few hours. They may not have time to start laundry or dishwasher if they do it after you leave.
A hotel doesn't have to take the sheets off, wash them, then put them back on, or do the same with dishes. They can cycle through the stock they have.

That sounds like their problem, not mine. If you expect me to clean, don't charge a fee for cleaning.
Tex117
AG
NoahAg said:

Tex117 said:

Teslag said:

I assume your "We" is why we differ.

Cleaning fees, list of chores, Im rarely in the room anyway other than to sleep...I (or me and my GF), all too much of a hassle.

For bigger groups, there is SOME benefit. For light and fast travelers, hotels are still the way to go (and they are cheaper).

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Couldn't disagree more, I want my own space with rooms for kids and not dealing with 50+ random people all around me. Maybe when kids are gone and it's just the wife and I, I will stay in nice, small hotels again.

For now I'm done staying in beached cruise ships.
Like above, the "We" changes things. If you are traveling light and fast with just your wife, you will probably not want to deal with an AirBnB either.

If you are hunkering down in one location for a week, sure...Airbnb may be a better option. But ugh. Dealing with it still sucks.
62strat
AG
Slicer97 said:

62strat said:

555-PINF said:

NoahAg said:

Tex117 said:

Teslag said:

That sounds like their problem, not mine. If you expect me to clean, don't charge a fee for cleaning.
It is their problem. That's why they are asking you to do those things. If it wasn't a problem, they wouldn't be asking you to do it, like a hotel.

Slicer97
AG
Ok. Then they shouldn't expect a cleaning fee if they want me to do the cleaning.
62strat
AG
Slicer97 said:

Ok. Then they shouldn't expect a cleaning fee if they want me to do the cleaning.
Are they asking you to clean the entire house? or are you starting a dishwasher/laundry machine?

That is quite the difference.. don't be so sensational.

I've stayed in plenty of hotels that have full kitchens that instruct you to load dishwasher and start it before you leave. Again, it's simply a time restraint thing between check out and check in.
txags92
AG
My problem with the "cleaning fees" in VRBOs and with "resort fees" at hotels is that they are asking to charge you a separate fee for things that should just be included in the nightly rate. If it is a fee that is charged on every room rental, then it should be included in the room rate. If I can do something to not have to pay it (like not using the resort features at a beachfront hotel), then fine, keep it as a separate fee. But if it applies to every stay with no exceptions, then it should be in the room rate.
62strat
AG
txags92 said:

My problem with the "cleaning fees" in VRBOs and with "resort fees" at hotels is that they are asking to charge you a separate fee for things that should just be included in the nightly rate. If it is a fee that is charged on every room rental, then it should be included in the room rate. If I can do something to not have to pay it (like not using the resort features at a beachfront hotel), then fine, keep it as a separate fee. But if it applies to every stay with no exceptions, then it should be in the room rate.
but resort hotels are doing it all the time now with a resort fee that is required, and on top of the room rate. I use points all the time at the gaylord near me, but I still owe like $40 a night resort fee plus $30 a day for parking, so my free night is still >$100.

here is a summary when paying dollars. what you think is $455 when you click book is not so honest.

So you can't really pick on/single out VRBO when the big chains are doing it too.
txags92
AG
62strat said:

txags92 said:

but resort hotels are doing it all the time now with a resort fee that is required, and on top of the room rate. I use points all the time at the gaylord near me, but I still owe like $40 a night resort fee plus $30 a day for parking, so my free night is still >$100.

here is a summary when paying dollars. what you think is $455 when you click book is not so honest.

So you can't really pick on/single out VRBO when the big chains are doing it too.
Reread the first line of my post.

Quote:

My problem with the "cleaning fees" in VRBOs and with "resort fees" at hotels...
62strat
AG
txags92 said:

62strat said:

txags92 said:

Reread the first line of my post.

Quote:

My problem with the "cleaning fees" in VRBOs and with "resort fees" at hotels...

bad quote job on my part.. I wasn't talking to you really, it was 555-PINF and slicer complaining about VRBOs only with their cleaning fees.

That's what I get for not paying attention to names, I thought I was talking to the same person I initially was having the discussion with.
txags92
AG
No worries, you an I were on the same wavelength comparing the two.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.