I alarmed the K-9 unit at the airport this morning

5,128 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by torrid
Ghost of Bisbee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Solo business travel. This happen to anyone else?

Airport had us line up in pairs to walk a 20 feet clearing in TSA line. I was lined up with another solo traveler. We get to the end, TSA guy approaches, "you two both triggered our dog and are now POIs for additional screening, what time are your flights, let's see your ID and boarding passes"

POI?! They kept referring us as that. Consumed some devil's lettuce over the weekend, and also have a dog, maybe that's what did it?

They double-screened all our bags. Eventually cleared both of us. Asked what triggers their dogs "we dunno, they're not our's"

Cool story brah I know.

That was bizarre
Ragoo
AG
And that kids is why you don't do drugs.
Ginormus Ag
AG
Some fat TSA slob just wanted to touch your junk to get his jollies this morning. Congrats. Someone thinks you are sexy.
UTExan
If your bag has any gun powder from a gun range or some types of pharmaceutical residue related to explosives-style precursors, the dogs probably alerted to that. They have incredible noses.
I helped in the search of some marshlands once on a missing persons case and accompanied a cadaver dog team. Even in that environment, the handler said his K9 was capable of detecting human remains several years old.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
TheHappyCouch-potato
Must have been the dog biscuits I put in your luggage this morning. It's a hobby of mine at airport terminals.
C@LAg
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Consumed some devil's lettuce over the weekend, and also have a dog, maybe that's what did it?

ban pot.

and GoB's dog.

everywhere,
agnerd
AG
Sounds like the dogs are being used as an excuse for an illegal search. I'd have asked them for a job application as a K9 officer. I'd love a job where being wrong 99% of the time was acceptable.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
things like this are why so many terrorists have been stopped and arrested at airports.
aglaohfour
AG
Was this at LGA? It's the only airport I've been to where they seem to be actively using K9s to screen for whatever on a consistent basis. And the handlers absolutely do know what they're screening for, it's just the TSA are kept out of the loop because they're generally morons.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
SFO

Yea I need to ask the handler next time
DatTallArchitect
AG
Atlanta airport does this as well. Long line and we had to walk in pairs for about 50 feet while their dog sniffed around us.
superunknown
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

SFO

Yea I need to ask the handler next time

Last time I flew from SFO, they had separate security (licensed or approved through TSA) instead of regular TSA, and they had the little counter clicker in their hand and every 20th person was pulled for "extra screening" so it's possible that was the reason too.
Win At Life
AG
I was walking through customs solo in the Vienna airport and these two security guys wave at me to come over. I get there and they ask me if I'm carrying any drugs.

My response: "No. Why, you want some?"

They just laughed and waived me on.
C@LAg
Win At Life said:

I was walking through customs solo in the Vienna airport and these two security guys wave at me to come over. I get there and they ask me if I'm carrying any drugs.

and everyone clapped?
Scruffy
AG
When BNA was under construction and the security was split into north and south terminals they used the dogs.

It was great because after that everyone could keep their shoes on and everything in their bags. Really sped up the line full of people not used to flying.
Bondag
AG
Funniest thing I have seen is a lady with a yappy dog yelling at the K-9 officer to get the dogs away from her because it was scaring her support dog. The officer spent a good 2 minutes searching every chair around the lady while she was crying and looking for a safe space.
deer corn
Person Of Interest
gigemags-99
AG
deer corn said:

Person Of Interest

FIDO*98*
AG
The dogs don't alert on most drugs. Half the people in the airport would have weed or cocaine residue that would be setting off every K9 in the place
Win At Life
AG
C@LAg said:

Win At Life said:

and everyone clapped?

Nobody else heard the conversation because they pulled me over to the side. However, my next line was going to be:

"Hey, maybe I could go to duty free and bring back some vodka, but you guys look like you're on duty; my first time in country, so not familiar with the rules here.... "

But, alas, I never got to finish my stand-up routine, because they were already waving me on. [Edit phone spelling]
Lake08
agnerd said:

Sounds like the dogs are being used as an excuse for an illegal search. I'd have asked them for a job application as a K9 officer. I'd love a job where being wrong 99% of the time was acceptable.

We do. It's called POTUS
whoop1995
AG
Lake08 said:

agnerd said:

We do. It's called POTUS
weatherman and politician
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
I am curious if there is any actually case law providing a precedence to refuse in situations like this. In other words, obtain a warrant.

Edit to say this sounds like "drug dogs" are a tool used to obtain probable cause in an unethical manner based on the facts that there is no standard of training for detection dogs. The law firm below has more information.

https://www.utahcriminallaw.net/what-happens-drug-dog-catches-you-slc-airport/
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Drug Dogs and Airport Luggage: United States v. Place: Letting a drug dog sniff a piece of luggage at the airport is not a "search" under the Fourth Amendment. Police do not need probable cause or a warrant to let the dog sniff your luggage.

https://www.arnoldsmithlaw.com/what-are-your-rights-when-it-comes-to-nosy-drug-dogs.html
VikingNik
AG
Living in PNW I get the joys of flying out of the crap fest that is SeaTac (that place is small footprint bursting at its seams) and the security lines can be epic. Those dogs when they bring them out are lifesavers. If you pass the smell check you are through security. No body scans or X-rays...
permabull
AG
I think it's crazy how law enforcement can use the excuse "my dog signalled me" as probable cause for search.

Seems like a giant loop hole to due process. "My magic dog told me you might have something so now you have no rights"
Bondag
AG
permabull said:

I think it's crazy how law enforcement can use the excuse "my dog signalled me" as probable cause for search.

Seems like a giant loop hole to due process. "My magic dog told me you might have something so now you have no rights"
The ones at the airport are looking for mass quantities of drugs or explosives, they are not looking for someone carrying for recreational use.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Youre going to jail, Greg.

Ghost of Bisbee
AG
So what you guys are telling me is next time I should tell them to **** off and give Spike a pat on the head
permabull
AG
We should have the right to face our accuser in America, but instead we have to take the handler's word that his magic dog told him he suspected something.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

So what you guys are telling me is next time I should tell them to **** off and give Spike a pat on the head

Yes. And please have someone filming. Horizontally filming only.
Fairview
AG
I sprayed a bee hive as I was leaving the house on the way to the airport. Got random checked and my hands swabbed. Im guessing it was that but it triggered the alarm. Got the full anal probe search after that.
Pro Sandy
AG
Philo B 93
So what's the general rule on carrying a little pot on an airplane? I haven't heard of anyone getting busted, and I have heard TSA is only concerned with weapons, etc.

I know quite a few people who carry weed on flights.
MouthBQ98
AG
Don't fly to Russia.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.