Food Trucks.. Food Trucks Everywhere

2,913 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Post removed:
by user
Slicer97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We got 3 pretty legit taco trucks, a mediocre fried-stuff truck, plus a sushi truck and mexican ice cream/slushee truck that I've yet to try. I think there's also 2 or 3 more taco trucks/trailers I haven't bothered with.

The other craze I've noticed is some really good taco places have been getting installed in a lot of the newer convenience stores.
Bunk Moreland
5 years? You mean 15 years right?
62strat
AG
my neighbor left 20 years of working at ford corporate and opened a food truck, and that was 5 years ago, well after the explosion.
This is in Denver.

Funny how for the 2000s in my time in Houston, a food truck was basically mexicans selling cheap mexican food and breakfast burritos, now it's white gen zs selling stuff at twice the cost you'd think it would be.

Along the same lines, food halls.. essentially multiple permanent food trucks in one spot.
Bunk Moreland
jP Hoffman said:

Bunk Moreland said:

5 years? You mean 15 years right?

There weren't food trucks all over smaller cities 15 years ago. Maybe 1 or 2, but not around every corner like you see in places like B/CS these days.

Dallas or Houston 15 years ago? Sure

Chef Tai won America's Favorite Food Truck in 2011, 12 years ago. A hollywood movie about a chef starting a food truck was in 2014.

Your own OP said you saw a few in the big cities back in the day. Didn't realize the post was only about small towns, but even then I think they were more prevalent than you or I really knew/noticed.

IMO the explosion was 10-15 years ago and the over-saturation has been the last 5 years.
Andrew Dufresne
It coincides with the expansion of the gig economy
FIDO*98*
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Your own OP said you saw a few in the big cities back in the day. Didn't realize the post was only about small towns, but even then I think they were more prevalent than you or I really knew/noticed.

Yeah, they were around. The difference was they were referred to as a roach coach and not a food truck.
Turf96
La cucaracha lacucaracha no purdah cam n r. Lol
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Seems like they're almost always overrated in terms of reviews as compared to restaurants. So many of them have 5 stars on yelp.

Serve the same food out of a building vs a vehicle and I'd be willing to bet they yelp rating would be a whole star higher for the latter.
concac
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Seems like they're almost always overrated in terms of reviews as compared to restaurants. So many of them have 5 stars on yelp.

Serve the same food out of a building vs a vehicle and I'd be willing to bet they yelp rating would be a whole star higher for the latter.

Agree except for taco trucks run by Mexicans.

Most food trucks are over-priced, too. 5* prices for 2* food.
IIIHorn

Is establishing a relationship with the matre d' of a food truck considered to be a life hack?

Drawkcab
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

This sentence is incredibly awkward.

"Serve the same food out of a building and I'd be willing to bet the Yelp rating would a whole star lower."
crane
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Drawkcab said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

"Serve the same food out of a building and I'd be willing to bet the Yelp rating would a whole star lower."

Criticizing a grammatically correct sentence you find on the internet it significantly more weird than my syntax choices.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Drawkcab said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Criticizing a grammatically correct sentence you find on the internet it significantly more weird than my syntax choices.
The latter of with which I do not disagree in entirety.
one safe place
jP Hoffman said:

They've always been around. I remember seeing a few in bigger cities back in the day, but the last 5 years or so has seen an explosion of them even in mid-size and smaller cities.

What's the food truck scene like in your town?
Someone or some group just finished building a motel in my town (population of around 8,000). Already have some, so not sure the thought behind this one. Owners are of (recent) foreign ancestry as is often the case. In the parking lot they have built an area for several food trucks, 11 in one location. They will lease space to the roach coach owners. I guess for those who eat from those places will be able to congregate in one spot to pick and choose.
trueaggie2782
AG
Drawkcab said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

I agree with this. Not criticizing the grammar. Just had to read the former multiple times to make sure I understood correctly while the latter was clear enough to understand from the first.
fc2112
Tons in Fort Worth. Several enterprising chefs have straight up closed their brick and mortar stores to go 100% truck. Very low overhead - go where the people are - it's a great idea.

I live in Arlington, and this one is just lights out magnificent barbeque.

fc2112
Another in Arlington, Hurtado, started as a food truck.

Got a brick and mortar location.

And are now killing it at Globe Life Field too

Krazykat
AG
I remember when the food truck thing was blowing up. You could get a good meal for a decent price due to low overhead. Now, it costs as much as going to a restaurant. I prefer going to a restaurant and being waited on, so I don't stop at the food trucks much anymore.
Bruce Almighty
AG
When I moved to Springfield, MO in 2012, there were a couple taco trucks that I know of by the airport, both ran by Mexicans. Now they're everywhere with all kinds of different foods.

I think the explosion of food trucks in bigger cities around the country happened around 2010 with The Great Food Truck Race reality show. The trend hit smaller cities about 5 years ago.
Tanya 93
We have a couple of BBQ trucks, a truck devoted to biscuits and meals made from them, a grilled cheese truck, Jerk truck, Thai truck, a Vegan truck, lemonade and shaved ice truck, a Cajun fried fish and chicken truck, some taco trucks, and there used to be a cupcake and cookie truck, but I don't know if that still exists.
StinkyPinky
AG
RealTalk said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Agree except for taco trucks run by Mexicans.

Most food trucks are over-priced, too. 5* prices for 2* food.

Welcome to 2023
StinkyPinky
AG
The only thing Portland Oregon has going for it right now is the food truck game is on point. Too bad you have to go to Portland to get to them.
Stat Monitor Repairman
We've reached peak food truck.

Food truck pricing is unsustainable.

The only thing the food truck craze did is cause the prices at regular taco trucks to go up.

Hipster millennials ruined eating out of a truck for the rest of us.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.