Pistol recommendations

2,758 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Ryan the Temp
Booma94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am admittedly not a gun guy, but am considering purchasing a pistol. Not wanting to get hoodwinked by a gun salesman and trying to avoid looking like a complete rube I am coming to this board for recommendations. Also, I know that one's gun preference is like one's taste in food or beer- deeply personal.

Nevertheless, I am seeking recommendations for a good entry-level gun. Caliber, brand, approximate cost (best bang for the buck- pun intended). Posting here to maybe get recs from those who don't frequent the Outdoors board.

Thanks in advance.
ATX_AG_08
AG
OB is that way.
BQ_90
AG
more bling equals more pling

AgEng06
AG
Booma94 said:

I am admittedly not a gun guy, but am considering purchasing a pistol. Not wanting to get hoodwinked by a gun salesman and trying to avoid looking like a complete rube I am coming to this board for recommendations. Also, I know that one's gun preference is like one's taste in food or beer- deeply personal.

Nevertheless, I am seeking recommendations for a good entry-level gun. Caliber, brand, approximate cost (best bang for the buck- pun intended). Posting here to maybe get recs from those who don't frequent the Outdoors board.

Thanks in advance.
Just go ahead and ask on the OB. Don't waste your time over here...
EastSideAg2002
Booma94
AG
Noted and done. Thanks.
HossAg
AG
Glock, Walter, M&P, etc. if you're looking for something basic that just works.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
For concealed carry I carry a Glock 43. Make sure to get a mag extension for it if that's the route you want to go.
saw em off
S&W 9mm
An L of an Ag
AG
SIG P226 9mm. Or the P365X-Macro, if you want something concealable.
Fannie Luddite
AG
Favorite Carry guns ... from 7th place to 1st (taken from Honest Outlaw YT)

S&W Shield Plus - 3", 20 oz,13+1 capacity
Glock 42 - .380, 15oz
Glock 19 - 4" barrel, 15+1 capacity
Sig P365 - small and light, 10+1 capacity. Other variants available.
Stacatto C2 - $2000!!!
CZ P-07 - DA\SA polymer, 3.75" barrel, 28oz
Glock 43x - 10+1 capacity, 19.2oz, 3.4" barrel
William Larue Weller
AG
Sig P365 SAS
UTExan
Ruger SP101 for concealed carry: your choice of 9mm, .357 magnum (also shoots .38 special) or .327 Federal. This little revolver is all steel, very concealable and can be used as a club. I have one in 9mm and I load 124 grain +p ammo in it. You cannot go wrong with most modern handguns. One gun not frequently mentioned is the Mossberg Mc2sc, which has excellent reviews.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
NoahAg
Hi-Point. And make sure to hold it sideways so you look legit.
Booma94
AG
NoahAg said:

That's a given. Street cred isn't given, it's earned.
3rd Platoon
AG
-- Glock 43 for personal carry.
-- HK VP9 for home defense.
-- Profit (safely).
UnderoosAg
AG
NoahAg said:

This. And only this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Athanasius
AG
I prefer a Hetzer.
FIDO*98*
AG
Glock 19 is a great first gun for learning to shoot, reasonably priced, and flawlessly reliable. Once you're ready to carry, add a Glock 43 with a Taran or Hyve mag extension.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

For concealed carry I carry a Glock 43. Make sure to get a mag extension for it if that's the route you want to go.

Like I've told every woman kind enough to sleep with me "6 is more than enough."
The Fife
Check out the police surplus at Palmetto State Armory. You can get some pretty good deals there.
AgEng06
AG
Scoopen Skwert said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Like I've told every woman kind enough to sleep with me "6 is more than enough."

Username checks out
91AggieLawyer
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

I had a 43 and got rid of it because it was too big to pocket carry (which is why I wanted it). Now, I'm rethinking it but to holster it in some way. However, what is the difference between the grip extensions to the 43 and just getting the 43x itself?
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
91AggieLawyer said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

I had a 43 and got rid of it because it was too big to pocket carry (which is why I wanted it). Now, I'm rethinking it but to holster it in some way. However, what is the difference between the grip extensions to the 43 and just getting the 43x itself?

I haven't shot a 43x, I guess it is just like a 43 with an extended mag? The reason you need an extended mag for the 43 is because the grip is too short with out it, but I guess the 43x would solve that issue.

This is the holster I use, it clips onto your belt.

Similar to this:

average_joker
AG
Here's what the OB will say in a nutshell. Go take a good class to learn the fundamentals and safety (even if you have some experience it can only make you better). Rent a few different ones, and then you'll have all the info you need to make an informed decision.
Green2Maroon
AG
I have a Springfield XD-M 9mm and a Tisas 1911 .45. Both are good guns, for concealed carry I would probably get the Hellcat in 9mm.
texag06ish
AG
Glock 19 for casket and flower moves
UTExan
Smith and Wesson Shield Plus is a great value and runs about 100 less than a Glock and 150 less than an Sig.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Ryan the Temp
AG
My CC is a S&W M&P Shield 2.0 9 mm.
My drop you like you're hot weapon is a S&W Model 27 .357 magnum
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.