New Manti Teo' documentary on Netflix..

8,163 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rlb28
trueaggie2782
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TV Casualty said:

Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Really, what this doc is and what deadspin was trying to do, was show how the corporate media does 0 investigation before running with stories and really is not interested at all in if anything is true so long as it generates revenue. The doc is far more of an indictment on corporate media than it is on manti or the con artist.

Deadspin isn't exactly the place for journalistic integrity.

How does that differ from the rest of the media?
JamesPShelley
Tobias Funke said:

LMCane said:

aggiederelict said:

Never meeting this "hottie" is part of the guise. He gets to tell everyone he has a girlfriend without having to actually have a girlfriend. Plenty of gay men have families and kids. We all probably know some men who fit this bill. There is lot of societal pressure for strong men who come from a strong, masculine, and religious culture to play the part. Look at the black community and how many guys are on the "down low." I am just saying it is a real possibility based on what I have seen.
well explain this then:not only is he married, a member of the Mormons, with a kid...but

he was texting WITH A GHEY DUDE that he believed was a hot woman for two years.

how would that have never come up if Te'o was actually ghey?!?

why would there have had to be a catfish involved then?

so he is ghey and makes up a story about a dead girlfriend so the entire world knows his story, all the while he is secretly LGB but rather than live life on the down low- he goes to the national media so that everyone checks into his romances?!?!

that makes sense to you?

or is he like 97% of the population and straight?

If you spell gay "ghey", you come off like you're 15. Just fyi
Pfffffft. 15? Pffffffffffft.

On the automotive forum you can't call a transmission a "******" (*) without the mods panties bunching up.

* T r a n n y

I suspect that the mod will hide the word "gay" (&) in this post.

There you go.

* g a y

Edit" I stand corrected, lol.
bizag07
Quote:

There you go.

* g a y

As you always do.

"Pay me hundreds of dollars so I can tell you how words work", all over the place, though.
TV Casualty
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

TV Casualty said:

Really, what this doc is and what deadspin was trying to do, was show how the corporate media does 0 investigation before running with stories and really is not interested at all in if anything is true so long as it generates revenue. The doc is far more of an indictment on corporate media than it is on manti or the con artist.

Deadspin isn't exactly the place for journalistic integrity.

How does that differ from the rest of the media?

It's all garbage these days and deadspin has definitely played their part in lowering the bar.
Petrino1
Tobias Funke said:

ea1060 said:

The one part that made me call BS was when Teo said in the documentary that during that time cat fishing wasn't a thing. The popular documentary "Catfish" came out in 2010 and the tv show came out in November of 2012. I remember at the time that everyone was talking about catfish and how crazy it was.

Teo's online relationship was around 2010-210. I have a hard time believing he had never heard of the term catfish during that time.

In the doc, he actually said "it was 2009. Catfishing wasn't a term yet." So I'll give him a little credit there
Per the timeline, they "met" on facebook around 2009, and they talked off and on for a while. Their relationship intensified in October 2011, until her "death" in September 2012. He said that after he talked to his uncle about their relationship, that was the first time he ever heard the term catfish. That convo with his uncle would have happened around December2012-January of 2013. The Catfish show premiered on MTV in November-2012, and EVERYONE was talking about it before and after it premiered.

I still have a hard time believing he had never heard of the catfish term before, but he did seem really sheltered and I could see his parents enforcing a no tv policy or something lol.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/timeline-manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax-story/story?id=18268647
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
In the doc, the deadspin people mention their whole purpose at the time was to make ESPN look stupid.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG

In the doc, the deadspin people mention their whole purpose at the time was to make ESPN look stupid.

I think this part is revisionist history. Better to say today that big bad espn was your target than the guy that they just spent two hours making you pity. More likely, they were going broke, saw a big story land in their lap and ran with it before the creditors got to them first. Sure, making espn look stupid was a motivating factor, but deadspin are not saints in this.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I mean, deadspin got a tip from someone that knew Teo's family on the island. The tip insinuated that Teo was in on it as part of the media blitz for the heisman campaign. It seems like people on twitter were talking about Lennay wasnt real as well. ESPN was exceptionally lazy and arrogant on this, likely because it played well on tv. They didnt care if it was true.

Deadspin pretty much verified the tip day 1 with nothing but google. Then they spent more time putting pieces together before they ran the article. Deadspin being two guys working on this, when the entirety of sports media didnt bother.
TheMasterplan
ea1060 said:

Tobias Funke said:

ea1060 said:

The one part that made me call BS was when Teo said in the documentary that during that time cat fishing wasn't a thing. The popular documentary "Catfish" came out in 2010 and the tv show came out in November of 2012. I remember at the time that everyone was talking about catfish and how crazy it was.

Teo's online relationship was around 2010-210. I have a hard time believing he had never heard of the term catfish during that time.

In the doc, he actually said "it was 2009. Catfishing wasn't a term yet." So I'll give him a little credit there
Per the timeline, they "met" on facebook around 2009, and they talked off and on for a while. Their relationship intensified in October 2011, until her "death" in September 2012. He said that after he talked to his uncle about their relationship, that was the first time he ever heard the term catfish. That convo with his uncle would have happened around December2012-January of 2013. The Catfish show premiered on MTV in November-2012, and EVERYONE was talking about it before and after it premiered.

I still have a hard time believing he had never heard of the catfish term before, but he did seem really sheltered and I could see his parents enforcing a no tv policy or something lol.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/timeline-manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax-story/story?id=18268647
Football players are just engrossed in the game man. They wouldn't really know about that stuff.
BadMoonRisin
AG
ea1060 said:

Tobias Funke said:

ea1060 said:

Predating the TV show, Catfish was a documentary about Nev (the guy hosting the show Catfish on MTV)'s experience being catfished.

That movie came out in 2010, and it was widely talked about at that time as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catfish_(film)
Jack Cheese
AG
I never heard of catfishing until the Manti story broke, and I'm a pretty online-aware person.
Petrino1
BadMoonRisin said:

ea1060 said:

Tobias Funke said:

ea1060 said:

Predating the TV show, Catfish was a documentary about Nev (the guy hosting the show Catfish on MTV)'s experience being catfished.

That movie came out in 2010, and it was widely talked about at that time as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catfish_(film)
Yea, I mentioned the 2010 documentary in my first comment on this thread. Although, the catfish term really became popular when the MTV show came out. The show was being advertised on MTV for months before it premiered in November-2012. Kind of hard to believe Manti had never heard the term before until his uncle told him about it in December2012-January2013.
TXAGFAN
AG
Jack Cheese said:

I never heard of catfishing until the Manti story broke, and I'm a pretty online-aware person.
The term was "new", but people lying about who they are has been around FOREVER. I remember my parents talking to me about it as a teen in 90's.
maroon barchetta
TXAGFAN said:

Jack Cheese said:

The term was "new", but people lying about who they are has been around FOREVER. I remember my parents talking to me about it as a teen in 90's.
JamesPShelley
bizag07 said:

Quote:

There you go.

* g a y

As you always do.

"Pay me hundreds of dollars so I can tell you how words work", all over the place, though.
Killjoy, lol.
rlb28
AG
I believe he was duped and knew nothing.

Having said that, it's strange to me that he didn't attend her "funeral". Also, being that it was the sports story of the decade, you would think ONE person from the media would have tried to attend the "funeral" as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.