New Manti Teo' documentary on Netflix..

8,146 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rlb28
LMCane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
surprisingly excellent

considering I am a Miami Hurricane fan for 30 years and hate Notre Dame

what's crazy is that lots of people were supposedly telling Manti "yeah I know Lennay"

so were they trying to say they "knew" her from the fake Facebook account, or that the "former boyfriend" knew the REAL Lennay but somehow no one realized there was a fake profile that the dude was using to catfish?

how did the real "Lennay" (who is this chick anyway and how is she not super famous) not realize there was a fake account using all her photos?!

all these "super smart" Notre Dame dummies don't know how to use a reverse photo lookup and in 5 seconds tell that the fake profile is not the real profile of a girl from Hawaii?

maroon barchetta
LMCane said:

surprisingly excellent

what's crazy is that lots of people were supposedly telling Manti "yeah I know Lennay"

so were they trying to say they "knew" her from the fake Facebook account, or that the "former boyfriend" knew the REAL Lennay but somehow no one realized there was a fake profile that the dude was using to catfish?

how did the real "Lennay" (who is this chick anyway and how is she not super famous) not realize there was a fake account using all her photos?!

all these "super smart" Notre Dame dummies don't know how to use a reverse photo lookup and in 5 seconds tell that the fake profile is not the real profile of a girl from Hawaii?

He has doubled down on his "I never met her in person" excuse but he slipped up in his initial interview with Jim Rome and IIRC said that both he and his dad had met her in person.

He's probably not a victim. He's more likely an attention hoor who got caught in a lie and spun it around to become a victim.
EastTexAg09
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
maroon barchetta said:

LMCane said:

surprisingly excellent

He has doubled down on his "I never met her in person" excuse but he slipped up in his initial interview with Jim Rome and IIRC said that both he and his dad had met her in person.

He's probably not a victim. He's more likely an attention hoor who got caught in a lie and spun it around to become a victim.
Watch the doc. Completely changed my perception of him. I think he's actually just a super nice guy who is also very gullible and nave. The doc really puts together how he got in the position he did, when he found out it was fake, and how he responded.

Quote:

This is touched on. The journalist who broke the story and had a background in finding people mentions how difficult it was to find the actual girl because the reverse image pretty much turned up every pretty dark haired girl on the internet.
maroon barchetta
Does the doc mention him admitting to him and his dad meeting her in person?
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Does the doc mention him admitting to him and his dad meeting her in person?
It mentions they met members of her family and spoke to her and many members of family on the phone, and that Manti's cousin "knew her".

In my opinion, this was originally going to be a shakedown scheme, but people realized it was fake before the con got to the extortion part, so it became something else. The story itself is nuts, highly recommend the watch.

There's a scene where Manti is getting texted by his dead girlfriend with pictures of her holding up the current date on a sign. What a mind **** that must have been.
AliasMan02
AG
Doubt it was a shakedown. Look no further than this board to see people who just love pretending to be people they're not and messing with people. I guarantee Barnes has done this sort of thing.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Really, what this doc is and what deadspin was trying to do, was show how the corporate media does 0 investigation before running with stories and really is not interested at all in if anything is true so long as it generates revenue. The doc is far more of an indictment on corporate media than it is on manti or the con artist.
maroon barchetta
AliasMan02 said:

Doubt it was a shakedown. Look no further than this board to see people who just love pretending to be people they're not and messing with people. I guarantee Barnes has done this sort of thing.

What if Barnes was behind Lennay.
CrottyKid
AG
maroon barchetta said:

AliasMan02 said:

Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Sounds like I need to watch it then, because manti te'o is garbage in my eyes
LMCane
AliasMan02 said:

obviously in this country there are tens of thousands of sick people-

watch the documentary you can see how mentally ill "the cousin" is who is the actual catfisher

a decade ago he was a high school quarterback..

now he is a very morbidly obese ugly "woman"

I think it was mostly this dude is a LGBTQ and like to mess around with other dudes online and just kept the hoax going on and on and on

what would be the shakedown? "you texted a dude that you love her?"
Austin Ag
AG
Most decorated college football player of all time -- Manti Te'o

-Best Overall Football POY (Maxwell Award)
-Best Overall Football POY (Walter Camp Award )
-Best Defensive POY (Chuck Bednarik Award)
-Best Defensive POY (Bronko Nagurski Trophy)
-Defensive Impact POY (Lott Trophy )
-Best LB POY (Butkus Award )
-Best Lineman or LB POY (Lombardi Award )
-Best Senior POY of ANY COLLEGE SPORT, MEN's or WOMEN's [basketball, Hockey etc] (Senior CLASS Award)
-College Football Sportsmanship of the Year Award (ARA Sportsmanship Award) {Retracted award 3-29-2013 but their website says nothing about the retraction}
-Unanimous First Team All-American
-Heisman Trophy Runner-Up

NOTE: As a college linebacker, Manti Te'o's stats fell short of Dat Nguyn's stats in every category less one.
Claude!
Austin Ag said:

Most decorated college football player of all time -- Manti Te'o

-Best Overall Football POY (Maxwell Award)
-Best Overall Football POY (Walter Camp Award )
-Best Defensive POY (Chuck Bednarik Award)
-Best Defensive POY (Bronko Nagurski Trophy)
-Defensive Impact POY (Lott Trophy )
-Best LB POY (Butkus Award )
-Best Lineman or LB POY (Lombardi Award )
-Best Senior POY of ANY COLLEGE SPORT, MEN's or WOMEN's [basketball, Hockey etc] (Senior CLASS Award)
-College Football Sportsmanship of the Year Award (ARA Sportsmanship Award) {Retracted award 3-29-2013 but their website says nothing about the retraction}
-Unanimous First Team All-American
-Heisman Trophy Runner-Up

NOTE: As a college linebacker, Manti Te'o's stats fell short of Dat Nguyn's stats in every category less one.
Can you remind me he was runner-up to in the Heisman?

I mean, I know, but I like to see it repeated.
wbt5845
AG
Yeah, what bothered me the most about the sick girlfriend was how it was used as a prop to pimp his Heisman campaign. His PR machine was running full speed because his on the field performance was good, not great.

EDIT: remember how it was the old "oh he's such a great guy look at him standing by his dying girlfriend" vs "Manziel is a horrible drunk *******."
Camo
AliasMan02 said:

I'm Batman (throat growl)
TyHolden
AG
EastTexAg09 said:

aggiederelict
I still don't believe Manti. He never actually went and saw Lennay when she was in a car accident or when she was knocking on death's door. Doesn't make any sense.

Dude is clearly gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just be honest with yourself.
Jack Cheese
AG
Good documentary. Changed my mind about Manti.

He's culpable for embellishing the story and calling "her" "the love of my life". He admits he was trying to be an "inspiration"... i.e. using the story to inflate his own profile. That's pride. I think he'd admit that in hindsight.

But I think he was sincere. The real villain is the t-ranny psychopath.

Being honest with myself, my opinion of Manti was colored by my hatred of ND. Just like t.u., they work half as hard for twice the media attention. It's sickening. And Manti was riding that ND wave to a lot of unwarranted fame.

But make no mistake, he's paid for it. Many times over.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Good documentary. Changed my mind about Manti.

He's culpable for embellishing the story and calling "her" "the love of my life". He admits he was trying to be an "inspiration"... i.e. using the story to inflate his own profile. That's pride. I think he'd admit that in hindsight.

But I think he was sincere. The real villain is the t-ranny psychopath.

Being honest with myself, my opinion of Manti was colored by my hatred of ND. Just like t.u., they work half as hard for twice the media attention. It's sickening. And Manti was riding that ND wave to a lot of unwarranted fame.

But make no mistake, he's paid for it. Many times over.
agree with all of this. Manti's soliloquy at the end got me, dude has suffered from this alot.
hoosier-daddy
watched it last night. very good
Ryan the Temp
AG
aggiederelict said:

Dude is clearly gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just be honest with yourself.
I thought this from the very beginning. So much if it all seemed like him trying to keep from getting outed.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
the gay thing was concocted by the same people who ran the dead girlfriend thing doing zero verification.
maroon barchetta
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

the gay thing was concocted by the same people who ran the dead girlfriend thing doing zero verification.

A gay man just said he is gay. I'm not sure how much more confirmation you need.
Ryan the Temp
AG

As a certified gay, it all seemed very gay to me before people started saying it was gay. Maybe he isn't, but that was the view through my pink glasses.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
maroon barchetta said:

A gay man just said he is gay. I'm not sure how much more confirmation you need.
aggiederelict
The fact there is a Netflix special explaining it in detail and he agreed to be apart of it makes me even more suspicious that he is gay. Stud linebacker goes to ND and he never has another girl when you know they are throwing themselves at him? Yeah that isn't questionable at all.

If I got catfished like that I wouldn't want to ever talk about it. And that was 10 years ago.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
aggiederelict said:

The fact there is a Netflix special explaining it in detail and he agreed to be apart of it makes me even more suspicious that he is gay. Stud linebacker goes to ND and he never has another girl when you know they are throwing themselves at him? Yeah that isn't questionable at all.

If I got catfished like that I wouldn't want to ever talk about it. And that was 10 years ago.
Like I said, it totally reversed my opinion on the issue, so I think that's why he wanted to be part of it.
Jack Cheese
AG
Manti is married to a person assigned female at birth (allegedly). Most gay persons assigned male at birth do not do this, though as an enlightened modern person I, Jack Cheese he/him, recognize and validate how fluid all these distinctions are.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
strangely, his baby looks vaguely like the catfisher

jwoodmd
maroon barchetta said:

AliasMan02 said:

He did pull off that NYC girl who had all the connections and bagged a HUGE hall of fish on a certain board
Ryan the Temp
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Manti is married to a person assigned female at birth (allegedly). Most gay persons assigned male at birth do not do this, though as an enlightened modern person I, Jack Cheese he/him, recognize and validate how fluid all these distinctions are.
An astonishingly high number of gay men enter straight marriages and have kids. Their reasoning varies, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility, especially for someone in the public eye. Or maybe it was a little college experimentation ;-) Maybe he is, maybe he isn't.
LMCane
aggiederelict said:

I disagree here

they are showing Lannay getting jealous and pestering him about other women.

there are clips of him surrounded by other women.

if he WAS LGBTQ- it would have been written into the thousands of texts and calls and messages with the ghey guy- right?

why wouldn't that have come up?

you know a lot of ghey guys chatting up hottie hawaain girls for years at a time?
aggiederelict
Never meeting this "hottie" is part of the guise. He gets to tell everyone he has a girlfriend without having to actually have a girlfriend. Plenty of gay men have families and kids. We all probably know some men who fit this bill. There is lot of societal pressure for strong men who come from a strong, masculine, and religious culture to play the part. Look at the black community and how many guys are on the "down low." I am just saying it is a real possibility based on what I have seen.
LMCane
aggiederelict said:

Never meeting this "hottie" is part of the guise. He gets to tell everyone he has a girlfriend without having to actually have a girlfriend. Plenty of gay men have families and kids. We all probably know some men who fit this bill. There is lot of societal pressure for strong men who come from a strong, masculine, and religious culture to play the part. Look at the black community and how many guys are on the "down low." I am just saying it is a real possibility based on what I have seen.
well explain this then:not only is he married, a member of the Mormons, with a kid...but

he was texting WITH A GHEY DUDE that he believed was a hot woman for two years.

how would that have never come up if Te'o was actually ghey?!?

why would there have had to be a catfish involved then?

so he is ghey and makes up a story about a dead girlfriend so the entire world knows his story, all the while he is secretly LGB but rather than live life on the down low- he goes to the national media so that everyone checks into his romances?!?!

that makes sense to you?

or is he like 97% of the population and straight?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.