How to get rid of my unwanted stuff?

3,712 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 42
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I used to be the king of craigslist 15 years ago. I could sell almost anything at good prices. I even wrote a paper on this for a negotiation class.

Didn't sell anything for a few years.
Now have some stuff to move. I have some coffee makers and a microwave to sell and they are all in like-New condition and there are no takers.

Has the world moved on to other sites? How do people sell their old stuff these days?
Decay
AG
Facebook I think
Not a Bot
AG
Facebook Marketplace

Beware of scammers
wbt5845
AG
Me too. Used to move stuff on craigslist. Facebook marketplace is the way to go now. And you have to field dozens of scammers since the whole world can see it.
atmtws
AG
Facebook and NextDoor.
/W\ Saw 'Em Off! /W\
BTHO tu.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
supreme court said you cant do that anymore.
Anchorhold
Sign the kid up for student loans and set they / them free. Maybe throw in a free toaster for good karma.
The Porkchop Express
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
EFE
AG
OfferUp app
NoahAg
Put by the curb on trash night. A 53 year old immigrant in a 1991 Chevy S-10 will be by within minutes to pick it up.

Let's go, Brandon!
62strat
AG
I made the switch to FB marketplace a few years ago.

Think about it, people are already on FB 2 hours a day. They are not on craigslist 2 hours a day.
That's a lot of free faces to have your **** go in front of. All they have to do is search for microwave once, and they get flooded with all of those for sale.
infinity ag
NoahAg said:

Put by the curb on trash night. A 53 year old immigrant in a 1991 Chevy S-10 will be by within minutes to pick it up.

Why should I do that when I should be able to get $100 for it?
infinity ag
62strat said:

I made the switch to FB marketplace a few years ago.

Think about it, people are already on FB 2 hours a day. They are not on craigslist 2 hours a day.
That's a lot of free faces to have your **** go in front of. All they have to do is search for microwave once, and they get flooded with all of those for sale.

Good point, maybe FB is something I should try.
infinity ag
OK, I put up a listing on FB!
maroon barchetta
EFE said:

OfferUp app

This.

A co-worker sold a ton of stuff on there after a family member passed and they were left in charge of cleaning out the house.

I haven't figured out how OfferUp makes money off the sale. Ad revenue? Selling your info?
FIDO*98*
AG
infinity ag said:

Why should I do that when I should be able to get $100 for it?

Because you'll have to wade through all the scammers,
lowballers, and trade for junk people to finally get the $100.
Jack Cheese
AG
NoahAg said:

I call these guys the appliance fairies. I have never once had to dispose of an appliance the "proper" way, no matter what condition. Set it on the curb, appliance fairies make it disappear overnight.
duffelpud
AG
Millions of Jawas coming across the southern border all need stuff cheap or free. Jawas like curb shopping. It's their Costco.
"What's this button do?"
MouthBQ98
AG
Facebook MP is good for household crap that would otherwise go to Goodwill.

Craigslist is still best for garage and shop things and materials and equipment and stuff like that.
Caesar4
AG
Garage sale?

That way, you can ask for 5% of each item's current value, but still have to endure people offering 20% of that value.

Lol, j/k, I'm not genuinely suggesting garage sale. Just still venting, a tad. We quit doing garage sales 15 or so years ago.
maroon barchetta
Caesar4 said:

Garage sale?

That way, you can ask for 5% of each item's current value, but still have to endure people offering 20% of that value.

Lol, j/k, I'm not genuinely suggesting garage sale. Just still venting, a tad. We quit doing garage sales 15 or so years ago.

After our last one I told my wife "never again" and she agreed.
Seven Costanza
AG
If your neighborhood has some kind of community FB page or something, that's a good place to start.
agz win
AG
I support a local senior center's resale shop.

Or Try consignment shops. The Guild in Houston near Right ver Oaks is good and has a lot of turn over.
Ginormus Ag
AG
We just give it to our maid.
scd88
AG
Donate but not to Goodwill. Donate to a locally based organization that will directly help the people where you live.
jopatura
AG
OfferUp or Facebook to sell, but the market has fallen out of resale stuff to an extent. Stuff that I could have easily sold 2-3 years ago just sits. There are too many scammers overall so regular people don't participate, trashy people lowball the hell out of you, and scammers message 5 times a day.

I either put it on a Buy Nothing group, give it to friends, or throw it in a bag for Goodwill.
Ogre09
AG
Anything I don't want goes to the curb. If the scavengers don't get it the trash man does. My time is worth more than the $50-100 I might make dealing with the hoi polloi.
BoxingAg84
nbbob
Divorce her
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Goodwill. Get a tax form and list objects at full retail.

Profit?
maroon barchetta
Aggie Joe 93 said:

Goodwill. Get a tax form and list objects at full retail.

Profit?

So, commit tax fraud?
rhoswen
AG
jopatura said:

OfferUp or Facebook to sell, but the market has fallen out of resale stuff to an extent. Stuff that I could have easily sold 2-3 years ago just sits. There are too many scammers overall so regular people don't participate, trashy people lowball the hell out of you, and scammers message 5 times a day.

I either put it on a Buy Nothing group, give it to friends, or throw it in a bag for Goodwill.

I looooove our Buy Nothing group.
maroon barchetta
rhoswen said:

jopatura said:

I looooove our Buy Nothing group.

What is a Buy Nothing group? Just give it away to people that will come get it?
Whirligigs
maroon barchetta said:

Caesar4 said:

Garage sale?

After our last one I told my wife "never again" and she agreed.

Dealing with the dregs of society when it comes to haggling - I would pay money to not do that.
Texker
AG
Jack Cheese said:

NoahAg said:

I call these guys the appliance fairies. I have never once had to dispose of an appliance the "proper" way, no matter what condition. Set it on the curb, appliance fairies make it disappear overnight.

Exactly. The scrappers know our neighborhood bulk pick-up schedule. Just set stuff out the Saturday AM before bulk pick-up week and it will be gone before lunch.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.