High tech devices the year you started at A&M

7,518 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BenFiasco14
Doctor Rosenrosen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Anybody troll people by using command line to send a pop up message to another machine on the network?

where I first learned the term spam.
Doctor Rosenrosen
AG
Telephone registration. I entered an action code then.
TXAG 05
AG
lotsofhp said:

cisgenderedAggie said:

Like goatse?

Back then we'd prank each other by setting peoples homepage to meatspin.com

We did that too.

Napster was big and so was AOL instant messenger. Cell phones were still a relatively new thing. Didn't have one til sophomore or junior year.
Txgunrnnr
AG
agz win said:

Wow!! And I thought I was the only kid with an Intellivison, when everyone else had Atari's!
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
1990Hullaballoo
AG
I remember Dr. Joe Townsend (Ag. Ed.) was soooo happy to get his new "portable" computer. It had an 8086 processor and a 10MB hard drive along with a 5 1/4" floppy. About the size of a carry on suitcase and weighed about 40 pounds.

He was even happier two years later when he got a newer one with a 286 processor, 30 MB hard drive and 5 1/4" and 3 1/2" hard drives

I too registered for classes for the '87 year using the dial in phone system. "Please enter an action code now..." "I'm sorry, you're action code was not recognized. Please try again."

88planoAg
AG
Ag with kids
AG
dabo man
AG
ArmchairCowboy
AG

AG
The iphone came out in 2007, my freshman year.
Claude!
1990Hullaballoo said:

I too registered for classes for the '87 year using the dial in phone system. "Please enter an action code now..." "I'm sorry, you're action code was not recognized. Please try again."

260-3212
Caesar4
AG
BostonAg74
jwoodmd
Ag with kids said:

Long nights, Zachry basement, fighting over Vax terminals. Good times (not really)
The Porkchop Express
AG

Got this bad boy as a graduation gift from my grandmother. It weighed so much you could have thrown it off the top of Aston Hall and killed an elephant with it.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
javajaws
AG
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
The Fife

Eso si, Que es
JoeAggie5
Registration changed from touch tone phone to online, and there was a website called pickaprof that was newish I think. I'm sure there is an app now, but it was mindblowing then.

Anchorhold
One person keeps dialing, one person checking BONFIRE for open sessions and one person keeps checking Pick-a-Prof. It took the whole house to register for classes.
gigemags-99
AG
Claude! said:

1990Hullaballoo said:

260-3212

Registering for classes on a touch tone phone was the WORST!
dabo man
AG
Did you forget to press the pound button?

AND

We're sorry, but no lines are currently available. 409/845
jwoodmd
javajaws said:

I can't see these without thinking of this...

javajaws
AG
Seriously disappointed none of you millenials have posted a pic of your wifi vibrators yet.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
CajunAg97
AG
In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Grad school:
SWCBonfire
AG
Ogre09 said:

jwoodmd said:

agz win
AG
Txgunrnnr said:

agz win said:

Wow!! And I thought I was the only kid with an Intellivison, when everyone else had Atari's!

And STILL undefeated and untied on in the sports game.

I still have it in a storage box.
lotsofhp
AG
Emotional Support Cobra said:

Grad school:

I used to love talking girls on AIM. It was a rush when they would log in with that little door opening sound coming across the speakers of my family's desk top back in the office.
duffelpud
AG
1990Hullaballoo said:

True story - one of my roommates had a friend who lived in a dorm where the room next to his had a phone number that was one digit off from the registration system's number. They got FREQUENT calls from people trying to register who either fat-fingered the number or were trying to backdoor it. Either way, it got super annoying - so much so that they, in true college spirit, decided to start 'registering' people who called, but throw in a few curves. The biggest zinger was telling callers that the system now used 'voice recognition' and that they had to be careful to say EXACTLY what the computer told them to say. The real gold was that they recorded a large number of the calls and we got to listen to the tapes. The hilarity ensued to the point that we had to stop the tapes multiple times to catch our breath and keep from pissing our pants. The girls were the funniest - getting them to breathe heavy, give their credit card numbers, weight, height, measurements, favorite - uh - 'activities'. If I only had one of those tapes...
"What's this button do?"
Burdizzo
AG
gigemags-99 said:

Claude! said:

1990Hullaballoo said:

260-3212

Registering for classes on a touch tone phone was the WORST!

Says the person who never had to stand in line outside the Pavilion in September for a schedule change.
MAROON
AG
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
lotsofhp said:

Emotional Support Cobra said:

Grad school:

I used to love talking girls on AIM. It was a rush when they would log in with that little door opening sound coming across the speakers of my family's desk top back in the office.

The question was always how long to wait after they sign on to message them.
zephyr88
AG
It was slow and heavy, but in Fall '84, I was one of a very few people in my dorm that had a computer. They called it "luggable"... haha.

JPAg88
AG
1990Hullaballoo said:

I remember Dr. Joe Townsend (Ag. Ed.) was soooo happy to get his new "portable" computer. It had an 8086 processor and a 10MB hard drive along with a 5 1/4" floppy. About the size of a carry on suitcase and weighed about 40 pounds.

He was even happier two years later when he got a newer one with a 286 processor, 30 MB hard drive and 5 1/4" and 3 1/2" hard drives

In the fall of 1984, my instructor for an introductory computer class was Dr. Joe's wife Chris. We used these TRS-80 beauties…
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.