Why is driving I-35 such a beating?

3,797 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by oklaunion
Hondo.
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Brutal traffic - all the time.
TecRecAg
AG
My chauffeur hates it too
FIDO*98*
AG
It's been under construction since before I was born in '75. Finally reached San Antonio 2 years ago.
hoosier-daddy
Nonsense. I35 reached San Antonio at least 5 years ago.
Win At Life
AG
oproot said:

Brutal traffic - all the time.
I would have thought you rather enjoyed them driving their Probes in your front and up your rear.
Swarely
I don't get 35 around Selma. Now matter what time of day I drive through there- it's always at a crawl.
BenFiasco14
AG
You see, once a road has been under construction after a certain number of years, it loses value …
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Green2Maroon
AG
I-70 and I-25 ain't no joke either.
maroon barchetta
BenFiasco14 said:

You see, once a road has been under construction after a certain number of years, it loses value …
Howdy Dammit
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Didn't see the dy/dx until this. Thanks
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
The men over 35 are often flying Southwest but they really desirable men over 35 are flying in their own jets.
Al Bula
AG
Look at the dumps along the corridor:
The dumpy places south of San Antonio
San Antonio
Austin
Temple
Waco
Metroplex

The whole I-35 corridor is like the bowels of texas. The crap ends up in Mexico.
maroon barchetta
David Happymountain said:

Look at the dumps along the corridor:
The dumpy places south of San Antonio
San Antonio
Austin
Temple
Waco
Metroplex

The whole I-35 corridor is like the bowels of texas. The crap ends up in Mexico.

Is it your contention that I-35 is the large intestine of Canada and Laredo is the "exit point"?
Builder93
AG
And Friday of Memorial Day Weekend is the worst day of the year.
akaggie05
AG
I used to think that 45 was a much better driving experience. Now it's getting F'ed up too. Too many people moving here. GTFO please while I continue to save for my Gulfstream.
c-jags
I've driven every inch of 35 and 10 in Texas. 35 sucks immensely more.

I'm driving from Temple to Wichita tomorrow. Pray for me.
TyHolden
AG
I once saw a dude beating his meat in traffic on 35 in Dallas....really makes you think
swc93
AG
45 is starting to get like 35, but not yet.

35 is the only stretch of highway I have to routinely pass semi-trucks on the right just to get around another stupid ****er squatting in the left lane. It doesn't matter either if I am driving to Austin or Denton, same stupid ****ers.
agnerd
AG
There is a solution (or at least there was), but involved the state condemning some very large chunks of land from private landowners and a whole lot of money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Texas_Corridor

So instead, expect more of the same.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I drive from New Braunfels to Austin and back every day. Half the time there are idiots weaving through congestion that cause accidents which will grind everything to a halt. Since most state troopers seem to be at the border, there is almost 0 traffic enforcement outside of san marcos. But the majority of time, you get to the end of traffic, and there's nothing there. Its like people stopped for no reason.
Buford T. Justice
AG
That is an excellent analogy.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Whoops. I'll be more discrete next time.
Burdizzo
AG
swc93 said:

45 is starting to get like 35, but not yet.

35 is the only stretch of highway I have to routinely pass semi-trucks on the right just to get around another stupid ****er squatting in the left lane. It doesn't matter either if I am driving to Austin or Denton, same stupid ****ers.

My observation was that most of the trucks you just described have Maine plates and Mexican drivers.

Thank you America, for NAFTA.
TyHolden
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

Whoops. I'll be more discrete next time.
i'm sorry i ran you off the road when you smiled at me. i didn't think it was funny.
Potcake
AG
Swarely said:

I don't get 35 around Selma. Now matter what time of day I drive through there- it's always at a crawl.

35 SB at Retama Park and in Round Rock just north of the 45 overpass are always at a standstill until they suddenly open up at 70 mph.
JPAg88
AG
This sums up my experiences with I-35 perfectly…
c-jags
agnerd said:

There is a solution (or at least there was), but involved the state condemning some very large chunks of land from private landowners and a whole lot of money.

get it was a "corrupt land grab" but everything would be better to today if that had been moved forward.

I made it to Wichita. Pretty dang brutal.

I know I'll catch hell for this but 35 in OK is prettier than 35 for most of Texas.

Also I am incredibly Impressed with OKC's ability to keep their downtown cleaned up. I don't know if I've ever been to a good size metropolitan area that had that clean of a downtown area. We stopped there for lunch just to see bricktown and it was surprising.
Slicer97
AG
Swarely said:

It flows fine when I go through. Everbody in Selma just hates you. Specifically you. I don't know what you did there, but you should probably apologize.
Hondo.
Yea, not so bad before 5am in the morning.. or after midnight
Ag_of_08
AG
c-jags said:

agnerd said:

get it was a "corrupt land grab" but everything would be better to today if that had been moved forward.

I know I'll catch hell for this but 35 in OK is prettier than 35 for most of Texas.

Also I am incredibly Impressed with OKC's ability to keep their downtown cleaned up. I don't know if I've ever been to a good size metropolitan area that had that clean of a downtown area. We stopped there for lunch just to see bricktown and it was surprising.

I'm sure giving control of a huge corridor through Texas to foreign investors to build a toll road would make everything better.....

I35 sucks because people can't merge. A lot of yall between Austin and San Antonio would be used as speed bumps around Houston
chick79
AG
Thankfully I never go to Austin or San Antonio!
LupinusTexensis
c-jags said:

agnerd said:

Omaha
XXXVII
JPAg88 said:

You don't see those signs anywhere on 35 between Austin and San Antonio.
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
AgTDub
AG
Yes you do. I've been pulled over in front of the TA Truck Stop on the north end of NB for "driving in the left lane" by a state trooper.

This was 5-6 years ago and I don't know if I got the one "dudley do-right" or what but it was the day after thanksgiving at like 10am. Was heading to the ranch to go hunting. Guy must've been bored because we talked hunting spots for 5 min, he gave me a warning and that was it.
shertown04
AG
XXXVII said:

JPAg88 said:

You don't see those signs anywhere on 35 between Austin and San Antonio.

Wouldn't matter. They have posted "no trucks in the left lane" on some of the hills and that doesn't stop them from jumping in the left lane at the bottom of the hill and clogging both lanes as they struggle to climb.

I drove a small slice of 35 every day for 10 years and I've been driving Austin to Dallas fairly regularly for the last 16. It always amazes me how every car packs the left lane going below the speed limit and you can get in the right lane and go 90 for miles at a time without seeing another car. Right now the construction in Waco is what I dread. It never goes away, it just reincarnates itself in different places. Used to be West and Temple that were the chokepoints.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.