****Official I Learned Something New Today Thread****

5,893 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by maroon barchetta
Anchorhold
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It is also in the five-month long cool down phase. The mirros and sensors on the cold side must cool down to -233 C (-273.15 C is absolute zero where atomic particles stop moving). The cold temperatures will let the telescope detect faint heat signals from infrared waves coming from deep space. These will further assist in creating the oldest images of the young universe.
HossAg
AG
Thought I saw a notification yesterday that it just finished cooling to operating temperature. Only a few more months till we get the first images.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Captain Positivity said:

4/12/2022

Today I learned about Panthera atrox.

Panthera atrox means "frightful lion" in Latin. What makes this lion species interesting is that it roamed North America as recently as 11,000 years ago. That's right, folks. North America had lions. Not just any lions though. Big lions. How big? Males could weigh up to 660 pounds, about 25% more than a modern African lion. That's big.

North (and South) America still has lions, dummy.
Anchorhold
The articles I read may have been a week or two old. My bad.
Not a Bot
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

Captain Positivity said:

4/12/2022

Panthera atrox means "frightful lion" in Latin. What makes this lion species interesting is that it roamed North America as recently as 11,000 years ago. That's right, folks. North America had lions. Not just any lions though. Big lions. How big? Males could weigh up to 660 pounds, about 25% more than a modern African lion. That's big.

I seen them in the zoo.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Captain Positivity said:

$240 Worth of Pudding said:

Captain Positivity said:

4/12/2022

I seen them in the zoo.

That's nice. I'm not referring to captive lions. Or African lions for that matter.

&ct=g

Anchorhold
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Today I learned (1) a dead hooker rolled up in a rug will not fit the trunk of my car and (2) explaining why I have a dead hooker rolled up in a rug to my wife isn't fun.
agz win
AG
Doesn't it depend on the weight and quality of the rug? Lightweight ones can work.
BenFiasco14
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

Today I learned (1) a dead hooker rolled up in a rug will not fit the trunk of my car and (2) explaining why I have a dead hooker rolled up in a rug to my wife isn't fun.

Why would you ruin a good rug if a tarp would've worked just fine
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
maroon barchetta
BenFiasco14 said:

Maybe she died on the rug and ruined it in the process.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

tarp doesn't absorb blood and cocaine the same
Not a Bot
AG
What lions are you referring to?

Mountain lions are not lions. They are considered small cats (puma), not big cats.

Panthera atrox was a big cat more closely related to the African lion.
Anchorhold
Non-EU residents may apply for a VAT refund on purchases made inside the european union. Same for Singapore. Apparently this is not uncommon in VAT countries.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Captain Positivity said:

What lions are you referring to?

Mountain lions are not lions. They are considered small cats (puma), not big cats.

Panthera atrox was a big cat more closely related to the African lion.

LULZ.

You found some dopey wildlife researcher who personally considers them "big but not "big"" or some BS.
Your Panthera vs Puma "AKSHULY" bit is pathetically hilarious.

?width=300&height=400&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

?fit=717%2C960

Small cat my ass.

maroon barchetta
Nice photoshop work!
Not a Bot
AG
My actual lion would win in battle against your fake lion any day of the week.
Anchorhold
Every year about a thousand people have leg-lengthening surgery between three and seven inches. It is considered somewhat safe and a patient can be back to walking in only twelve weeks. It isn't just a south park joke.
Anchorhold
Not a Bot
AG
Here it is folks. It's what you've all been waiting for:

MORE GREAT FACTS!

That's right, we're BACK and better than ever! Ready to be MESMERIZED!?

Of course you are. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here!

Wait, what was that word? Mesmerized? You may have asked yourself: "self, where in tarnation did that word come from?" Well, you're in luck because today I learned about it and you're all about to find out! ALL RIGHT, LET'S GO!

A long time ago, in a land far, far away, there lived a man named Franz. While working as a trained medical doctor and serving the wealthy class of Vienna, he utilized a fairly popular concept of the time: manipulating the "tides" of his patients using magnets. At some point, though, Franz decided his own "animal magnetism" was just as good as regular old magnets. He developed a treatment which consisted of him staring at his patients and waving his hands over them for hours, to much success.

Not satisfied with treating one client at a time in a private setting, he took his healing powers on the road and became quite famous, even drawing the attention of Marie Antoinette. Many of his patients (who were mostly women) swore by his treatments. They often reported achieving a trance-like state (and sometimes convulsions) followed by a sense of healing and relief. One can certainly do the math there.

But success, as it is said, often breeds imitation. Many practitioners of this dark magic medicine emerged, so much so that the king of France launched an investigation. Even good old Ben Franklin participated in the scientific inquest.

Unfortunately for Franz Anton Mesmer, the science of the time didn't support his methodology. The art of Mesmerism fell from public grace, and Franz died not knowing that he may have stumbled upon the much more accepted practice of hypnotism still used by some practitioners today.

redline248
AG
Quote:

Many of his patients (who were mostly women) swore by his treatments. They often reported achieving a trance-like state (and sometimes convulsions) followed by a sense of healing and relief
I've seen a few videos in this genre
maroon barchetta
Not today, but this week I learned Steve Lukather played the solo on Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry".
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.