****Official I Learned Something New Today Thread****

5,865 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by maroon barchetta
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Today I learned Ireland didn't legalize divorce until 1995.

The referendum vote for the 15th Amendment to the Irish constitution resulted in 818,842 in favor and 809,728 against.

Quote:

It upsets couples like Nuala McGuirk, 45, and Terence O'Leary, 43, who, though still married to their original spouses, are in a long-term "second relationship" with each other.

"You are neither married nor single," Scannell said. "It's like having a death without a funeral. It is very disturbing. For 16 years I've held down a job, reared a child, done all kinds of volunteer work and all the while this unfinished business has been hanging in the background. . . . If I had killed my husband," she said -- stressing that she does not advocate such a course -- "under Irish law I'd have served my 11 years and been a free woman now."

Claude!
Haven't learned of substance yet, but I'll keep you updated.
MooreTrucker
AG

Just from reading this thread.
Anchorhold
Even after that law it took four or six years to complete the process. That changed a little more recently.

The Pig War of 1859 was the last hostile conflict between the US and Britain.
Not a Bot
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Just from reading this thread.

Knowledge is power. Take heart to what you've learned here and spread the word.
Not a Bot
AG
4/12/2022

Today I learned about Panthera atrox.

Panthera atrox means "frightful lion" in Latin. What makes this lion species interesting is that it roamed North America as recently as 11,000 years ago. That's right, folks. North America had lions. Not just any lions though. Big lions. How big? Males could weigh up to 660 pounds, about 25% more than a modern African lion. That's big.

http://iceage.museum.state.il.us/mammals/american-lion-0

swimmerbabe11
yeah I knew that because I met a guy like 9 years ago probably. When I asked if he was married, he said he had to be honest, that they technically were, but it was like year 2 of legal separation and they had 2 more to go before it could be official. I was amazed. He had been living in the states since the separation, so they hadn't even seen each other in that long.
1990Hullaballoo
AG
Today I learned you can't fix stupid, but there is a way to get rid of it.

Today I deduced that the only way to fix stupid is for it to die.

(Not condoning any illegal or immoral conduct here.)

If you find this to be untrue, please don't post it here, I would rather live with the delusion that there is a way to make it better.
HossAg
AG
Nah. God planted those bones there to test our faith.
Not a Bot
AG
This is an awkward post and I'm not sure how to reply. Hopefully everything is OK. The emoji you used is a bit concerning because it suggests something at least somewhat serious.

I would suggest seeking wiser counsel for whatever issue you're having, whether it be a friend or someone who may be able to offer a different perspective. Sometimes we trap ourselves into thinking only one solution to a problem exists, but others may shed light on things we haven't even thought about.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
1990Hullaballoo said:

Today I learned you can't fix stupid, but there is a way to get rid of it.

Today I deduced that the only way to fix stupid is for it to die.

(Not condoning any illegal or immoral conduct here.)

If you find this to be untrue, please don't post it here, I would rather live with the delusion that there is a way to make it better.

Whatever it is, there's a right way to move forward. It may take a long time for things to improve but there's always an option that can result in a happy and fulfilling life for you.

Hang in there. And talk to someone you trust. If there doesn't seem to be anyone right now that fits the bill create a dummy email and one of us dummies can lend an ear. We've all screwed up plenty.
Anchorhold
MIT offers a Pirate Certificate to encourage students to complete phys ed courses. The certificate requires completion of courses in archery, sailing, fencing, and air pistol / rifle.
The Dirty Sock
Watched a video of Anne Hathaway eating a cupcake like a champ. #NewWaysToFat
B-1 83
AG
HossAg said:

Haven't heard that one in 30+ years! Bless her heart…….
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Hey Nav
AG
The Restaurant Revitalization funding put "minority" and "female" owned restaurants at the front of the line. Chip Roy wants to fix that.

https://roy.house.gov/media/press-releases/rep-roy-leads-legislation-providing-relief-lockdown-hammered-restaurants-while
Claude!
The Dirty Sock said:

What a specific fetish.
Not a Bot
AG
HossAg said:

4/13/2022

This sent me down a rabbit hole to discover my fun NEW KNOWLEDGE OF THE DAY!!!!

This hole led me to an interesting Mad Hatter man named Ray Comfort. I've heard of him before. He's Kirk Cameron's friend. He preaches about the literal "young Earth," meaning he thinks the earth is only about 6,000 years old.

As it turns out, he's famous for a viral video he posted several years ago with Cameron called "The Atheist's NIGHTMARE."

In this video, he claims God invented the banana to fit perfectly into the hand, made ripeness easy to spot with color coding, and made it easy to peel with a perfect tab at the top. This design is so perfect it should make atheists stay awake at night:

"God, I can't get to sleep. I know I never believed in you, but those bananas. I can't stop thinking about those beautiful bananas. How they fit in my hand, how the smooth texture feels nice on my skin, how they go perfectly into my mou...wait. What am I talking about again?"

After viewing this video, I found numerous videos and websites dedicated to debunking the theory.

As it turns out (this is the fun new knowledge of the day), bananas as we know them are not very old.

This is what a wild banana looks like:

WOW!

Humans selectively cultivated bananas, and many fruits, to get the sweet treats we enjoy today. In fact, the modern Cavendish banana that we all know and love wasn't really widely popular or cultivated until the 1950s when a fungal disease wiped out the popular banana variety of the day, the Gros Michel. The lack of genetic diversity within the Cavendish has led to significant problems with it's own fungal disease. So hopefully they don't all die soon.
https://time.com/5730790/banana-panama-disease/

agz win
AG
Claude! said:

The Dirty Sock said:

What a specific fetish.

I learned that too and it was ingenious and my new way to eat them. I can touch my nose with my tongue but not enough to get all the icing.
Anchorhold
While Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first men to walk on the moon, Michael Collins remained on Apollo 11 and while orbiting the far side of the moon was farther from any other human in history and thus became the loneliest man in the universe.
BenFiasco14
AG
Anchorhold said:

While Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first men to walk on the moon, Michael Collins remained on Apollo 11 and while orbiting the far side of the moon was farther from any other human in history and thus became the loneliest man in the universe.

Wasn't he relatively close to Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin though?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
superunknown
AG
they're both jerks which made Collins lonelier.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Anchorhold said:

Depending on his orbit, he was still somewhere around the entire diameter of the moon away from another human. So 238,000 miles away from Earth but periodically 2,100+ miles away from the closest humans.

So you might be right. One of those "I'm going to sail solo around the world" type idiots may have found a way to be farther than that from anyone on earth.
maroon barchetta
superunknown said:

they're both jerks which made Collins lonelier.

When he was orbiting the moon and would get to the other side from where they were he could technically have a celestial body between him and every other known living creature.
superunknown
AG
that sounds quite peaceful
BenFiasco14
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Anchorhold said:

Depending on his orbit, he was still somewhere around the entire diameter of the moon away from another human. So 238,000 miles away from Earth but periodically 2,100+ miles away from the closest humans.

So you might be right. One of those "I'm going to sail solo around the world" type idiots may have found a way to be farther than that from anyone on earth.

This mechanism is unworkable unless someone goes to the moon by themselves.
The Porkchop Express
Last week I learned that the guy named Phillips didn't invent the Phillips head screwdriver, he just bought the product and marketed it.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
maroon barchetta
helloimustbegoing said:

Last week I learned that the guy named Phillips didn't invent the Phillips head screwdriver, he just bought the product and marketed it.

Good thing Ray Kroc didn't follow that plan.
Not a Bot
AG
Another journey down the rabbit hole!

4/14/2022

Today I learned about Point Nemo. Point Nemo is the most isolated point on Earth. Located in the Pacific Ocean, the spot is 1,670 miles from any other landmass. If you travel here by yourself, you'd be closer to the astronauts on the ISS as they pass overhead than to any other human beings.

Some other interesting facts about Nemo:
- Named for the character in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, it also (quite fittingly) means "no one" in Latin.
- It is so far away from land and key currents that there is very little life, unless you count Cthulhu. Point Nemo is just a few miles from the HP Lovecraft legendary beast's home.
- It is the spot typically targeted for disposal of satellites and large space debris, including the Mir space station.

https://historyofyesterday.com/8-facts-about-point-nemo-5ea0ca844795

BenFiasco14
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Another journey down the rabbit hole!

4/14/2022

Today I learned about Point Nemo. Point Nemo is the most isolated point on Earth. Located in the Pacific Ocean, the spot is 1,670 miles from any other landmass. If you travel here by yourself, you'd be closer to the astronauts on the ISS as they pass overhead than to any other human beings.

Some other interesting facts about Nemo:
- Named for the character in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, it also (quite fittingly) means "no one" in Latin.
- It is so far away from land and key currents that there is very little life, unless you count Cthulhu. Point Nemo is just a few miles from the HP Lovecraft legendary beast's home.
- It is the spot typically targeted for disposal of satellites and large space debris, including the Mir space station.

https://historyofyesterday.com/8-facts-about-point-nemo-5ea0ca844795

Ok - riddle me this.

During the Apollo 11 mission, there was a person at Point Nemo. Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong landed on the moon. At one point, Michael Collins orbited the dark side of the moon.

Who was the loneliest person in the universe?
Ulrich
Hedge
IIIHorn

Just from reading MooreTrucker's post.
HossAg
AG
Ulrich said:

Hedge
duffelpud
AG
Learned this recently...

Lagrange Points are positions in space where the gravitational forces of a two body system like the Sun and the Earth produce enhanced regions of attraction and repulsion. These can be used by spacecraft to reduce fuel consumption needed to remain in position.
"What's this button do?"
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I thought Lagrange points could involve more than two bodies?
MGS
Bob Knights Liver said:

I thought Lagrange points could involve more than two bodies?
The three body problem.

The James Webb Telescope is at one of the Earth-Sun lagrange points.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.