Summer School During the 1970's

4,716 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by pilgrim82
Naive Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I attended Summer School at TAMU during the late 1970's. My recollection is that we only went to class Monday thru Thursday and had Fridays off. Can someone with a better memory than I , confirm this to be true.
C1NRB
AG
That was the case in the late 80's and early 90's.
GIF Reactor
AG
In the late 90's, it was course dependent. Seems like most of mine were M-F, but I think I remember some of my friends not having F classes.
B-1 83
AG
All I know is that when all the other kids got out for the summer, I had to go back to school just to pass and advance. In 6 weeks, I miraculously brought my 36 week "20" average in science to a "70" and made it to the 10th grade.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
malenurse
AG
Naive Ag said:

I attended Summer School at TAMU during the late 1970's. My recollection is that we only went to class Monday thru Thursday and had Fridays off. Can someone with a better memory than I , confirm this to be true.
Are you trying to establish an alibi 45 years later?
Twise
AG
Big Baccala
AG
I did summer school in 1973....Biochemistry 2 semesters. Worked as a RA in the dorm checking in fish for fish orientation. Had a never-ending supply of beer for weekends at the lake.
Southlake
Summer school was great at A&M in the late 70s / early 80s.

Inexpensive dorms, outdoor movies at the Grove. 3 weeks of class M-Th, 2 hour classes. Pretty mellow.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Took organic chemistry in Summer of '82.

Girl that sat in front of me always wore Daisy Dukes & a tank top.
She had a colored butterfly tattoo on her left shoulder.
First girl I had ever seen with a tattoo, that was unheard of then.

Way out of my league she was.
I only dated girls that hung out at The Dixie Chicken.

I'm still surprised I passed.
Didn't learn a dang thing but made a memory !
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Agree with Southlake, it was a great time to be on campus. Town was empty, campus was empty and classes were small. Easy to find a summer job too.

The only other folks around were the folks in town for fire training. They'd hang around the bars and try to "look" like college kids and pick up girls. I don't think they had much luck.
Shooter McGavin
AG
Summer of '82 I took those pesky math classes I knew I couldn't pass at A&M - at Blinn. Then I took a couple of easy A classes at A&M to boost the GPA and assure my graduation the next May.

The town atmosphere was awesome and a much improved male/female ratio.

Needless to say it was a summer to remember.
Buzzy
Animal Eight 84 said:

Took organic chemistry in Summer of '82.

Girl that sat in front of me always wore Daisy Dukes & a tank top.
She had a colored butterfly tattoo on her left shoulder.
First girl I had ever seen with a tattoo, that was unheard of then.

Way out of my league she was.

I'm still surprised I passed.
Didn't learn a dang thing but made a memory !
Sounds like a country song
Wild West Pimp Style
agracer
AG
was in summer schools summer of '91. Don't remember what the class schedule was or even what classed I had that summer.

I do, however, remember sitting at the off campus bus stop by the MSC and the girl I thought I was going to marry, whom had broken up with me 5-month earlier, parked on the street and suddenly noticed me. Hadn't spoken to or seen her in many months. She was visiting a friend who was at summer school for the weekend (so, I guess we did have Friday classes). So she got out and was all friendly to me. We chatted a bit and it was all awkward. I figured "this is for sure over".

Got married to to her 2-years later and still together 28+ years (so 32 total subtracting break up).

FUNNY: She was pulling round the street to u-turn at Lamar/Houston (back when it was 2-directions) into the southbound lanes to parallel park on Lamar and I thought "that looks like my ex"...sure enough, she hits the curb while parking and I was like "yup, that's her".
Buzzy
agracer said:

was in summer schools summer of '91. Don't remember what the class schedule was or even what classed I had that summer.

I do, however, remember sitting at the off campus bus stop by the MSC and the girl I thought I was going to marry, whom had broken up with me 5-month earlier, parked on the street and suddenly noticed me. Hadn't spoken to or seen her in many months. She was visiting a friend who was at summer school for the weekend (so, I guess we did have Friday classes). So she got out and was all friendly to me. We chatted a bit and it was all awkward. I figured "this is for sure over".

Got married to to her 2-years later and still together 28+ years (so 32 total subtracting break up).

FUNNY: She was pulling round the street to u-turn at Lamar/Houston (back when it was 2-directions) into the southbound lanes to parallel park on Lamar and I thought "that looks like my ex"...sure enough, she hits the curb while parking and I was like "yup, that's her".
We're invested in the story now, don't leave us hanging.

How did you get back together two years later? Did she mature? Did you mature?
Wild West Pimp Style
agracer
AG
Buzzy said:

agracer said:

She broke up with me in the spring b/c she was not sure this is what she wanted (marriage to me , also I was a immature dork and needed to grow up but that was unspoken by her). We were supposed to go to study abroad with Dr. Kramer in Germany that summer but I bowed out (it was actually all her idea, I was just tagging along and NFW I was going to go to a foreign country with a bunch of strangers and my ex). Needless to say I had a crappy spring and summer and was pretty broken up about it.

We had the same Electrical Eng 101 class that fall of senior year. We both kept putting it off and finally registered for the same class the previous spring (when we were still dating). It was the huge classroom in the middle of Zachary. I knew she would be in that class so I walked in the door by the front of the class and sat in the front row so I would not have to look at her, or worry about talking to her. (she later told me that was a good idea b/c she then had to look at me every time I walked into class).

One day after that class she chases me down across the large open area in Zachary and give me the old "can't we be friends" speech. I said "this was your decision, so no!". She said "that's fair, but can you at least be civil and not pretend like I don't exist"...so I said sure, and walked out.

Of course that very night I had a blind date at some comedy show in the MSC and who is there with some guy she met that summer...that's right. She looked right at me with my date and I was all "civil and not pretend she didn't exist" and waved...she just turned away. (She was jealous as hell). Gave her the cold shoulder Monday at class, she chases me down again after class and apologizes for being rude.

Maybe a month later we end up walking out of class together and she says "what are you doing this weekend" so I told her I had a date...she says "oh, well have a nice time. My room mate when home for the weekend so I'll be all allone and studying for a big test I have on Monday".

My date ended early (she had a boyfriend back home!!!) so I stopped at a payphone at the gas station on Tx Ave and Harvey Rd and called and asked her what she was doing.*
Her: "I just put on my pajamas I was going to go to bed"
Me: "Can I come over"
Her: "YES!!!"

We'll both admit the split up was actually really good for both of us. I realized I needed to grow up and she realized she did in fact want to spend her life with me.

* Edit to add, the phone call was completely random. I was driving down Harvey, saw the pay phone, knew there was quarter in the center consol and said to myself, "you should call her". Drove to her dorm like a bat out of hell after I hung up.
ToddyHill
AG
Spot on Southlake.

Though I have to admit, the summer of 1980 and the consecutive days over 100 degrees (combined with the humidity) was awful. As I recall, it was something like 60 plus days. Anyone remember that?
pilgrim82
AG
ToddyHill said:

Spot on Southlake.

Though I have to admit, the summer of 1980 and the consecutive days over 100 degrees (combined with the humidity) was awful. As I recall, it was something like 60 plus days. Anyone remember that?
Yeah, Toddy, that seems about right. I discharged from the Marines in April and started summer school in mid-May. I remembered it feeling like College Station rivaled Subic Bay, PI for feeling like a sauna. I was in pretty good shape, but working out that summer at A&M really got me in the best aerobic shape of my life.

I went to school straight through from May '80 to December '82, attending summer school in '80/'81/'82. I also worked at the Chicken all those summers. Those were some awesome times.

And back on point, I did have Friday SS classes in those days.
Buzzy

Thank you for delivering, good story and excellent detail.
Wild West Pimp Style
Southlake
ToddyHill said:

Spot on Southlake.

I worked for a underground sprinkler company that summer. I'd take a class in the morning then work until dark digging ditches and laying pvc pipe.

But you know, I went to high school in the Philippines so heat and humidity never bothered me..l
ro828
Summer school in 1970, 1971, and 1972 was Monday through Friday. Parked anywhere on campus. Movies at The Grove. ZZ Top played for street dances in front of Sbisa. And I did take classes but those are but those are a dim memory. And here I sit today and no closer to a graduate degree than the day I was born.
Psychag
AG
Summer school 1982 we had several classes at Dudley's. Good times.
Azeew
agracer said:

Buzzy said:

agracer said:

She broke up with me in the spring b/c she was not sure this is what she wanted (marriage to me , also I was a immature dork and needed to grow up but that was unspoken by her). We were supposed to go to study abroad with Dr. Kramer in Germany that summer but I bowed out (it was actually all her idea, I was just tagging along and NFW I was going to go to a foreign country with a bunch of strangers and my ex). Needless to say I had a crappy spring and summer and was pretty broken up about it.

We had the same Electrical Eng 101 class that fall of senior year. We both kept putting it off and finally registered for the same class the previous spring (when we were still dating). It was the huge classroom in the middle of Zachary. I knew she would be in that class so I walked in the door by the front of the class and sat in the front row so I would not have to look at her, or worry about talking to her. (she later told me that was a good idea b/c she then had to look at me every time I walked into class).

One day after that class she chases me down across the large open area in Zachary and give me the old "can't we be friends" speech. I said "this was your decision, so no!". She said "that's fair, but can you at least be civil and not pretend like I don't exist"...so I said sure, and walked out.

Of course that very night I had a blind date at some comedy show in the MSC and who is there with some guy she met that summer...that's right. She looked right at me with my date and I was all "civil and not pretend she didn't exist" and waved...she just turned away. (She was jealous as hell). Gave her the cold shoulder Monday at class, she chases me down again after class and apologizes for being rude.

Maybe a month later we end up walking out of class together and she says "what are you doing this weekend" so I told her I had a date...she says "oh, well have a nice time. My room mate when home for the weekend so I'll be all allone and studying for a big test I have on Monday".

My date ended early (she had a boyfriend back home!!!) so I stopped at a payphone at the gas station on Tx Ave and Harvey Rd and called and asked her what she was doing.*
Her: "I just put on my pajamas I was going to go to bed"
Me: "Can I come over"
Her: "YES!!!"

We'll both admit the split up was actually really good for both of us. I realized I needed to grow up and she realized she did in fact want to spend her life with me.

* Edit to add, the phone call was completely random. I was driving down Harvey, saw the pay phone, knew there was quarter in the center consol and said to myself, "you should call her". Drove to her dorm like a bat out of hell after I hung up.
Go on…
agracer
AG
We have 4 kids, are empty nesters and plan to travel as much as we can. Love her as much if not more than that fall evening when I went to see her in her dorm room which she made perfectly clear earlier on the day she would be all alone in!
dabo man
AG
I went to summer school in '92 and '94. IIRC 10 week classes met on Fridays, but 5 week classes didn't (or maybe the other way around).
infinity ag
How were the girls in the late 70s?

I had babysitters called Wendy and Linda back in those days. They were teens.
Duckhook
AG
After a few years wandering in the desert, I returned back to school in 1981 at the age of 25 to finish. Had two years left, and I was on a mission. Took all of the summer school classes I could take in '82 and '83. Loved summer school. Took some statistics courses that seemed to be killers during the regular semesters that I pretty much breezed through. Profs seemed much more laid back and did more things to help us along.
Shoefly!
AG
Booty call!
MAROON
AG
Quote:

in 82' that was the shallowest talent pool ever!
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
NoahAg
Smells old in here.
Let's go, Brandon!
Animal Eight 84
AG
MAROON said:

Quote:

Careful, some of these younger Ags might figure out you're talking about their "shallow talent pool" mamas ....
MAROON
AG
Animal Eight 84 said:

MAROON said:

Quote:

Careful, some of these younger Ags might figure out you're talking about their "shallow talent pool" mamas ....

Ha! Hopefully their Mom's hung out at Zephyr
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
pilgrim82
AG
Animal Eight 84 said:

MAROON said:

Quote:

I think there's an old song about that...maybe Clay Walker sang it?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.