Nerdle

120,527 Views | 2027 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by Jackal99
BBRex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've missed a couple at first, but I solved today's in two. It's more fun than I expected.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I got it in 4 again. I feel like I'm in remedial nerdle.

12+35=47
4+7*9=67
8-4+7=11
7-2+8=14
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I got it in two today, bizniches! I need to get some whiskey in me to slow down this massive brain.

If you're wondering, I already asked and the wife does not find my nerdle prowess uncontrollably attractive nor will she reward me will additional sexual favors.
Ulrich
For some reason this one was hard for me, but got it on the last guess.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I got it in 2 again after nearly 14 hours of sobriety. That's 2 out of 3 days to get it on the second try.

12+35=47
36-19=17
Not a Bot
AG
This game is crazy. Got it on the second try.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I got tonight's game in 4.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I got it in 5. I am bad and I should feel bad.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I got it in 4. I should have had it in 3, but I made a huge rookie mistake.
12+35=47
97-32=65
87-32=56
67-32=35
Cramp00
Bob Knights Paper Hands
3 as well. My 10 year old son got it in 3 and his older sister took 5 tries. Massive nerdle smack happening in my household tonight.
TexasRebel
AG
this game needs logical operators, GT LT symbols, and calculus.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Then it would be called go****yourselfle.
DD88
AG
Doesn't happen often, but sometimes you get just enough clues.

nerdlegame 32 2/6

7*8+9=65
89*3=267
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I got it in 3 this morning.
DD88
AG
Back to 3 again today.

Yesterday's puzzle was still an interesting challenge even after getting lucky with 4 of the 6 numbers and the operation. I could tell the product was a 3 digit number and knew the tens digit but couldn't get there with the 3 other known digits, so I had to alternate those through digits of the product.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I got today's in 3.
12+35=47
1+99=190
1-8+16=9
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I got it in two again!

12+35=47
12+36=48
DD88
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

I got it in two again!

12+35=47
12+36=48

Those matched my 2nd and 3rd lines thinking, "Would they really use BKL's opening line?"

Jackal99
AG
Ditto
Bob Knights Paper Hands
That would have been too funny! I would have called Al to close down the internet and retire if they did.
Ulrich
Bob Knights Liver said:

I got it in two again!

12+35=47
12+36=48

Pretty easy day for those of us who use that opening.
StinkyPinky
AG
Today was my first nerdle game. Went into it blind. Took 6 guesses, but enjoyed it more than I thought it would. Will stick with it. In it's place deleted Lewdle. Tired of guessing words I've never heard of.
Marsh
AG
Figuring out I get most of the equations that only use a number once in the equation on the third try. If the equation uses the same number twice, I'll get it on try 4.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I got it in 2.
12+35=47
6+6+7=19

My stats out of 18 games played are:
Two guesses: 5
Three guesses: 3
Four guesses: 7
F ive guesses: 3
Marsh
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

I got it in 2.
12+35=47
6+6+7=19

My stats out of 18 games played are:
Two guesses: 5
Three guesses: 3
Four guesses: 7
F ive guesses: 3

How does your second guess make any sense with your first guess? That is a strange guess, especially if the goal is to find out as much information as possible. But you may have a different approach than me.

Your starting line is good and gives good information... It establishes that you are dealing with a # sign # sign # = # # setup. Additionally, your number pool is down to 1, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0.

But why would you double your 6 in your second guess? If you are wrong (which you would be 95% of the time), you have set yourself up for a non-optimal third guess (because you still don't know if an 8 or 0 will be in the equation).

The same question goes even moreso for the double + sign (you may find the spot where the + goes, but if the equation isn't double +, you aren't finding any new information).

Working from the standpoint and information provided from your first guess, there are several much better guesses on your second try that will provide more information for your third try:
9 + 7 - 6 = 1 0
9 + 8 - 7 = 1 0
9 + 7 + 0 = 1 6
9 + 7 - 0 = 1 6

In any of these 4 tries, you are getting information on an extra number and, for 3 of the tries, you are figuring out if there is a - in the equation. And, if you don't have communative answers turned on, you have even more combinations of guesses you could make for your second try (by mixing up the order of numbers).

Even guesses like:
7 / 1 + 9 = 1 6
9 * 7 + 8 = 7 1
7 * 1 + 9 = 1 6
Would be better than your second guess because, even though you are duplicating a #, there is statistically a much better chance to have double 7 or double 1 then there is to have double 6 (or double 8, 9 or 0) because you already know there is at least one 7 and one 1 in the equation (based on your first guess).

Im curious if your thinking may go a level deeper than mine and I'm missing something?

I like math and so I might have overthought this just a bit.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I knew there was at least 1 + sign and likely two signs since it had to be in the 2nd or 4th slot. Nerdle has included * and / but more commonly uses + and -, so I wanted to give my second guess a try with two signs including a + and either a + or a -.

I knew the equal sign was in the 6th slot, meaning the answer was two digits. Since there was no 2, 3, 4, or 5 I wanted to try the assumption that the first digit was a 1, since that also corresponds to not having *, which has been less common.

These assumptions also limited the chance that a - sign was included, since a single digit plus a single digit minus a single digit (that can't include 2 thru 5) will less likely equal 10, 11, or 16-19. If it did, it would mean the slot after a minus would have to be a 1. So again I thought getting that information would be acceptable in my second guess if that's the way it went.

For the 6+6+7, I was initially going to use other numbers but couldn't in order to avoid a 2 through 5, assuming the second and fourth slots were +.

So I built that second guess designed to test the more likely scenario and then I got lucky that was it and that the order was how I happened to put it in.

No matter what you're doing, you have to get lucky to get it in two. It's an anomaly that I've gotten lucky 5 out of 18 times I've played Nerdle. Really weird.
TexasRebel
AG
Leading 0s work.
Marsh
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

No matter what you're doing, you have to get lucky to get it in two. It's an anomaly that I've gotten lucky 5 out of 18 times I've played Nerdle. Really weird.

If I had your luck, I wouldn't be playing nerdle. Seriously! I think you are underestimating how "lucky" you have been.

I mean, consider your situation just a few days ago:
Bob Knights Liver said:

I got it in two again!

12+35=47
12+36=48

Even in this incredibly lucky situation, where you guessed 6 of the 8 inputs on your very first try, you were still only a 1/3 chance to get the answer right on your second guess, as
1 2 + 3 2 = 4 4
1 2 + 3 4 = 4 6
1 2 + 3 6 = 4 8
All could have been the right answer.

Not only did you solve the puzzle on the second try once... You've done done it 5 times so far!

Just for the ****s and giggles, let's just assume that all five of your attempts had odds of 1/3 going into the second guess (which we know to be extremely generous given that there were at least 15 solutions to the puzzle yesterday based on your first guess). There is only a 0.4% chance you could have been this lucky.

Applying more realistic odds (although still generous, IMO) of 1/15 for your other 4 tries, you are looking at a 0.000208% chance of having gotten the right answer on your second guess. Lots of people play this game so, who knows, maybe you are the 0.000208%!

But, again, if you really are this lucky, you should be in Vegas.
Ulrich
I tend to check for each number in sequence and don't assume that a minus, times, or divide is any more likely than a second plus, which is actually contradictory… it's no more likely that there is a number you haven't tried yet vs a second appearance of a number you already know is in the equation once.

But I'm not sure how I solve these, I aimlessly try things and then I know the answer without knowing why I know.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I got it in 4. Several silly mistakes otherwise I could have maybe trimmed it to 3.
rynning
AG
TexasRebel said:

Leading 0s work.
They are allowed in a guess but will never be in an answer, right?
TexasRebel
AG
rynning said:

TexasRebel said:

Leading 0s work.
They are allowed in a guess but will never be in an answer, right?
dunno
StinkyPinky
AG
This was a good one
BBRex
AG
I got today's in two.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.