How many of you good people have had appendicitis?

3,345 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by IIIHorn
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did it start off slow and gradually build up to #@$& pain, or did it hit pretty quick? I feel like someone poked me with a broom handle in my lower right side…….

My family has a bad history of burst appendix, so I'm cautious.
JobSecurity
AG
How bad does it hurt? Kidney stone a possibility?
B-1 83
AG
Just a dull ache right now, and I can feel it when I walk.
The Dirty Sock
You probably need to pewp
infinity ag
When I eat too much Mexican food late at night I get stomach pain a few hours later when I am in bed. The reason is gas gets stuck in the digestive system and you cannot fart it out easily. If that is the case, lie down on your stomach and it will ease out after 20 minutes. And drink a lot of water at that time, it will also push it out after about 30 mins.

Mex food must be eaten no later than 5pm.
agproducer
AG
I have and mine ruptured.

It felt like a dull ache and like I had food poisoning. Then, I had a nasty fever. The pain got progressively worse.

I'd go get it checked out. Mine ruptured in the ER. I was in the hospital for 10 days. Then two weeks later, I had to go back in for a week since I developed an infection.

txam92
AG
You do NOT want it to burst because that makes a bigger mess. Do you feel like you have a slight bit of nausea? Not necessarily like you're going to heave at any moment, just moments of "queeziness" that goes away and comes back. That's another sign. Especially if you're planning to travel, I'd get it checked out. I had a similar pain with a little on and off nausea and I had an upcoming flight. Went to get it checked out and sure enough, I needed out. If I waited and it burst, especially away from home, that would have been a bigger issue. Just my two cents.
Duncan Idaho
in my effort to make weight for wrestling, i had my appendix removed before district.
CDub06
AG
I had it a few years ago. I felt bloated and like I had gas that I could not relieve. I was uncomfortable and just felt bad. I wanted to go to bed at like 7PM but my wife called an EMS friend who had her push and release on the uncomfortable part. They were pretty sure it was appendicitis, but I went to urgent care to confirm. Once confirmed, I was transferred to the hospital.
My son did when he was younger. He was on vacation with is mom and having bad pains on the right side of his gut. I'm not a medical professional and I hadn't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, so I called Trouble. She told me about the press and release process on the area in pain and if it hurt more when released than it did when pressed, then have him go to hospital ASAP. I called them back, had them do the press and release, and it hurt more when released. So they immediately took him to the local hospital. Unfortunately that hospital wouldn't do appendicitis operations on kids, so he had to be transferred via ambulance to Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital.

Thank God for insurance, but that still cost me a ****load out of pocket!

I'm just happy I've got Trouble as a friend I can call in an emergency. Not sure how bad it would have been if we didn't act when we did. Also, she makes great pies!
Claude!
42 said:

Also, she makes great pies!
G-D cottage laws regarding interstate shipping prevent me from confirming that.
Claude! said:

42 said:

Sorry, you missed out, her pie is moist and delicious!
B-1 83
AG
42 said:

My son did when he was younger. He was on vacation with is mom and having bad pains on the right side of his gut. I'm not a medical professional and I hadn't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, so I called Trouble. She told me about the press and release process on the area in pain and if it hurt more when released than it did when pressed, then have him go to hospital ASAP. I called them back, had them do the press and release, and it hurt more when released. So they immediately took him to the local hospital. Unfortunately that hospital wouldn't do appendicitis operations on kids, so he had to be transferred via ambulance to Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital.

Thank God for insurance, but that still cost me a ****load out of pocket!

I'm just happy I've got Trouble as a friend I can call in an emergency. Not sure how bad it would have been if we didn't act when we did. Also, she makes great pies!
Perhaps I should text her or Facebook Messenger her…..
malenurse
AG
The correct medical term is perforated, not burst. If an appendix perforates, it releases toxins into the abdominal cavity which could cause peritonitis.

Typically, an appendix which has become perforated will need to be removed through an open incision instead of being removed by laparotomy. An open incision greatly increases the recovery period.

I know, I know Username checks out.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
agproducer
AG
malenurse said:

The correct medical term is perforated, not burst. If an appendix perforates, it releases toxins into the abdominal cavity which could cause peritonitis.

Typically, an appendix which has become perforated will need to be removed through an open incision instead of being removed by laparotomy. An open incision greatly increases the recovery period.

I know, I know Username checks out.....

Yep. That's what happened to me.
KidDoc
AG
Right lower pain worse with movement is appy until proven it isn't. I would proceed to your nearest ER that has a surgical hospital attached to it.

The heel tap test mentioned above is valid and a good test.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
B-1 83
AG
That one is a negative.
Unemployed
AG
B-1 83 said:

That one is a negative.
Did you feel pain in your balls when you did the heel test? If so, tell your wife to loosen her grip.
B-1 83
AG
RealTalk said:

B-1 83 said:

That one is a negative.
Did you feel pain in your balls when you did the heel test? If so, tell your wife to loosen her grip.
No, but I did have to take care not to step on them…..after all, I am an old…..
lunchbox
Had it in 2nd grade and I still remember the pain.

For some reason, the nice people at the St. Joseph's ER (Bryan) sent me home and told my parents to bring me back the next morning for surgery. That was a looooooooooong night. I remember just laying there in bed writhing in pain and sweating...nothing helped.

After they took it out, the surgeon said it was very close to bursting. This was back before they started doing it laparoscopically so I have a 4" scar across the right side of my abdomen.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I had mine in the time of laproscopy, but my surgeon was ancient. I was high as hell on demorall and called him Methuselah to his face. Dude probably still smiles about the big ass scar I have on my beer belly.
trouble
AG
So you waited until 42 told you to text me? I oughta kick your butt.
trouble
AG
Claude! said:

42 said:

They suck balls.

What's your favorite pie?
Claude!
trouble said:

Claude! said:

42 said:

They suck balls.

What's your favorite pie?
That's literally an impossible question to answer. At the moment, I'll say either strawberry rhubarb, chocolate, or pecan. Or mince. Or key lime. Or sour cream-apple. Or banoffee. Or...you get the idea.
trouble
AG
Noted
trouble said:

So you waited until 42 told you to text me? I oughta kick your butt.

He was needing a Yelp review first.

You should thank me, I promoted your expert medical advice and your delicious pie all in one post.

NOTE: I would like to clarify, eating one of Trouble's pies will NOT require medical advice after. Pissing her off may.
trouble
AG
Depends how bad you piss me off. Might be past the point of help.
The Grinder (99)
AG
Had appendicitis first year of college. It started off dull ache and grew steadily for over 2 days. Pain was dull ache and generalized. It slowly became more focal towards right lower quadrant. By the time I went to st jo's it was very bad. That last hour or so things progressed rapidly. Pain was horrible that last hour or so. Couldn't stand. Was throwing up continuously, more out of pain. They had to do an open incision.
C1NRB
AG
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

Another diagnostic tool: stand up on your tip-toes. Then drop quickly back down to where you're standing flatfooted, as fast as gravity can get you to hammer your heels on the ground.

If you have appendicitis, you'll know it.

It's a piece of cake procedure nowadays, and if you can get it done before you're in agony it's a much reduced risk of rupture between now and extraction.

This. My sister had it while at A&M. Went to the Quack Shack late one night. She tells it better than I can, but an Old, OLD Army Ag doc took a look and had her do the heel drop test.
She fell to the floor and called him a crazy old coot. He said, "Yep, that's your appendix. We'll call the ambulance to come get you."
GTdad
59 years old and still have my appendix and tonsils.

I used to take a little pride in that, but at this point I'm thinking that it's just one more thing that's going to **** me up at some point.
Ags-R-Better
Here. Started with dull pain, then non stop vomiting for a few hours, then off to the ER. Morphine every 4 hours is awesome, the return trip for an infection, post surgery, a few days later was not.

Bottom line, morphine is awesome, make them give you some and enjoy the ride.
AgsMyDude
AG
Ags-R-Better said:

Here. Started with dull pain, then non stop vomiting for a few hours, then off to the ER. Morphine every 4 hours is awesome, the return trip for an infection, post surgery, a few days later was not.

Bottom line, morphine is awesome, make them give you some and enjoy the ride.

Pretty similar experience minus the vomiting. Dull pain started mid morning but by 5pm I couldn't stand up straight because of the pain.

Went to stand alone ER. Appendicitis confirmed, morphine drip started and surgery overnight. Was all better 5 days after.

I missed the first JFF game tho

Also a family history of it and my brother was the same age when he had his removed.
SWCBonfire
AG
My mother had what they thought was appendicitis and they treated it with a heavy course of antibiotics (they do that now instead of removing it 1st thing).

Well, it was appendiceal cancer, it burst, and it sent cancercous cells all throughout her abdomen. Chemo was initially successful but it came back with a vengeance and metastasized everywhere, including her lungs and brain.

In other words, it doesn't seem routine to me that someone your age is just now getting appendicitis. Get that **** checked out by an oncologist, please.

Billy Foster
AG
Similar experience as the rest of y'all. Dull pain growing quickly over a couple hours. Originally thought it was gas pains or some gastro issue. Ended up crawling back to my room to wake up my wife. Luckily I had a buddy that had his removed the week before so it was fresh on my mind. Dr confirmed the next day and was in surgery that afternoon.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.