What is your favorite local slang?

8,280 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by superunknown
JD Shellnut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Claude! said:

"The Devil is beating his wife"

My grandma use to say that when it would rain but the sun could still be seen.
Ag with kids
AG
CDub06 said:

Gonna rep for my 361 for a second.

In Corpus, people very widely call porta potties "Skid O Cans," which is just the (terrible) name of a local company. I've pointed this out to several people and they don't realize it's localized to Corpus or that it's the name of a company.

Another Corpus word is pope'. Pope' is just when someone has a wedgie. "Hey, you have pope'." "Hold on, let me pull out my pope'."

"BOB" for Breakfast On a Bun is a little more widely used. But many of my friends from elsewhere in the state hadn't heard that before. Growing up in Corpus, we ordered "BOBs" for breakfast from Whataburger, the local bakery, or from the cafeteria.

Edit: Just realized the accent e' in pope' wasn't showing up. Texags keeps scrubbing the character out to say "pop," so we'll just go with e'
I live on the Island. One we use a lot is:

Touron = Tourist + Moron

Then, there's the Winter Texans, doncha know...
padreislandagfan
Ag with kids said:

CDub06 said:

In Corpus, people very widely call porta potties "Skid O Cans," which is just the (terrible) name of a local company. I've pointed this out to several people and they don't realize it's localized to Corpus or that it's the name of a company.

Another Corpus word is pope'. Pope' is just when someone has a wedgie. "Hey, you have pope'." "Hold on, let me pull out my pope'."

"BOB" for Breakfast On a Bun is a little more widely used. But many of my friends from elsewhere in the state hadn't heard that before. Growing up in Corpus, we ordered "BOBs" for breakfast from Whataburger, the local bakery, or from the cafeteria.

Edit: Just realized the accent e' in pope' wasn't showing up. Texags keeps scrubbing the character out to say "pop," so we'll just go with e'

Touron = Tourist + Moron

We always refer to them as terrorists instead of tourist.
They show up, blow up, tear up, then leave.
Burdizzo
AG
lexofer said:

Hey Nav said:

Is "cedar chopper" unique to the Hill Country (usually referring to an Ingram resident) ?
I went to Ingram high school and we called the white trash Cedar Hackers. I lived in Hunt and although I've cut down a lot of cedar I'm not a cedar hacker.

Cedar Choppers are all through the Hill Country. I grew up with a lot of kids from Wimberley in the 1970s and 80s. They were either affluent families that moved in from Houston or they were poor cedar choppers. There was not much in between.
Potcake
AG
Drifter. said:

Claude! said:

"The Devil is beating his wife with a silver chain

My grandma use to say that when it would rain but the sun could still be seen.
Well, okay then
AG
BIB: born in Brenham
BOB: born outside Brenham

Explained to me (a BOB) one time by a BIB.
GarryowenAg
AG
Hey Nav said:

Thanks for the link to the article.

There is also a term used about Fredericksburg folks who are of German descent, but as I have never been banned on TexAgs... no way I'm typing that.

I'm from FBG and of German descent. Would you be so kind as to give some hints as to the term?

Also, I've never heard someone equate the term "cedar chopper" with someone from Ingram. In fact, I've never heard anyone ever really talk about Ingram folks unless they were talking about a family member. Being a cedar chopper was somewhat derogatory because only the lowly people were hired to do the work or you'd have to do it as punishment.
Stat Monitor Repairman
BOI for Galveston

Born on island
agnerd
AG
When College Station had one high school (Tigers) we had Taggies, sometimes pronounced Tau-ggies. Kind of a combination of Tigers, townies, and Aggies. Can't do my uncle's hick accent online, but they were people that "went to the A&M high schoo, then the A&M college, and most likely got a job there after graduatin" before working their whole career there after which they would then retire to, you guessed it, College Station.

These people are really fun to rile up. Just ask them about whoever the current president of the university is and how they like the changes they are making. You don't have to actually know who the president is or if they are actually making any changes, but you will then get an hour-long recap of every conspiracy theory, unverifiable fact, rumor, and power trip that someone's aunt's sister's counsin's friend heard was definitely happening. It's just like the Aggie Football page over the last 2 weeks, but like that all year long every single year.
Ag with kids
AG
padreislandagfan said:

Ag with kids said:

CDub06 said:

Touron = Tourist + Moron

We always refer to them as terrorists instead of tourist.
They show up, blow up, tear up, then leave.
I like that...

Another one we use is OTB = Over The Bridge. As in, I'm not going OTB if I don't have to (and now with the IGA there's less reason)...
hbc07
AG
Scotts Tot said:

Used to work with some Michiganders and learned a little about the state. Now when I meet someone from Michigan I hold up my hand so they can point to which part they're from, and they always seem to appreciate that
As a yooper, I would have laughed and told you wrong hand.
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
Tatem
superunknown said:

Direct Enter Enter said:

Timmy Ho's -- Tim Horton's coffee & donut shops (imo one of the best things to ever come out of Canada, btw)

Probably been 5 years since I've been to a Timmy Ho's and I know they were bought out by some big company that owns Burger King and others so maybe it's gone downhill....but damn, Timmy Ho's is fantastic.

I went this week with my little one. I didn't think it had gone downhill

Never heard it called timmy ho's
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Burdizzo said:

We just spent a week in Maine where if your great grandparents didn't live there you're "From Away"

And where everything is wicked good!
Ag with kids
AG
Tatem said:

superunknown said:

Direct Enter Enter said:

Timmy Ho's -- Tim Horton's coffee & donut shops (imo one of the best things to ever come out of Canada, btw)

Probably been 5 years since I've been to a Timmy Ho's and I know they were bought out by some big company that owns Burger King and others so maybe it's gone downhill....but damn, Timmy Ho's is fantastic.

I went this week with my little one. I didn't think it had gone downhill

Never heard it called timmy ho's
I really liked their muffins when I went there up in Canada...
CDub06
AG
Been working a lot in Idaho and they call the grass area on the side of highways and median of the highway "barrow pits" (pronounced borrow pit).

I had to have it explained the first time because I had no idea what they were talking about. They'd told me that traffic was stopped on the highway when they were in Houston and people were driving through the barrow pit to get off the highway. They asked what we call that area and I told them we don't really have a name for it (aside from when it's a median). But I've heard it several times since and even used the word this week to impress some Idahoans. They weren't impressed.

The initial convo led me to tell them about "fixin to" and "cokes." Then I told them about how houstonians call it a "feeder" and that was amusing to them. For the record, growing up in south Texas, we always called it an access road or frontage road. I'd even heard service road. Never heard "feeder" until I went to A&M. And now that I live in the Houston area, it's everywhere. You weirdos.
superunknown
AG
That's good to know!
TXAG 05
AG
CDub06 said:

Been working a lot in Idaho and they call the grass area on the side of highways and median of the highway "barrow pits" (pronounced borrow pit).

I had to have it explained the first time because I had no idea what they were talking about. They'd told me that traffic was stopped on the highway when they were in Houston and people were driving through the barrow pit to get off the highway. They asked what we call that area and I told them we don't really have a name for it (aside from when it's a median). But I've heard it several times since and even used the word this week to impress some Idahoans. They weren't impressed.

The initial convo led me to tell them about "fixin to" and "cokes." Then I told them about how houstonians call it a "feeder" and that was amusing to them. For the record, growing up in south Texas, we always called it an access road or frontage road. I'd even heard service road. Never heard "feeder" until I went to A&M. And now that I live in the Houston area, it's everywhere. You weirdos.

We call the sides of the road a bar ditch
Sea Speed
AG
Not on freeways like he was talking about. Bar ditch is on rural roads. He's talking about being stuck between exits and driving over the grass to get on the feeder because some ******** got in a wreck while texting and driving.
ensign_beedrill
AG
When I lived in Washington DC, there were several places in the suburbs where you could either pick people up or get a ride from someone into downtown for the day. The idea being that with a car full of people, you could use the HOV lane.

Riders were called slugs.
Ride givers were called scrapers.

"I slugged in to work today" was a common phrase.

This was 20 years ago, so not sure if it's still a practice.
CajunAg97
AG
I've lived in Nor Cal since '05 and they all say "hella"....that's hella cool, that's hella nice.
In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.
Anonymous Source
S
There was a guy on my HS football team and we were on a road trip to Beaumont. We passed a frontage road sign and he said "Man...it seems like every city has a Frontage (pronounced fron-TAHHGE) Road."
Gig 'Em
Ronnie
AG
In Louisiana

Book sack - back pack
Make groceries - go to the store
Get down - get out of the car

Port o potties named after the local company (K-jon, a play on the word Cajun)
AgTDub
AG
Expert Witness said:

Hey Nav said:

Thanks for the link to the article.

There is also a term used about Fredericksburg folks who are of German descent, but as I have never been banned on TexAgs... no way I'm typing that.

I'm from FBG and of German descent. Would you be so kind as to give some hints as to the term?

Also, I've never heard someone equate the term "cedar chopper" with someone from Ingram. In fact, I've never heard anyone ever really talk about Ingram folks unless they were talking about a family member. Being a cedar chopper was somewhat derogatory because only the lowly people were hired to do the work or you'd have to do it as punishment.

We've got a family friend who as a kid was always somewhat disheveled. His mom told him that he looked like a "cedar whacker". Well it stuck and that guy is known to more people now at age 60? as "Wack" than his given name. Hell I was like 12 before I even knew what his real name was.

Edit to add: This was in the hill country between San Marcos and Wimberly.
The Fife
I grew up between SM and Wimberley and only heard it as cedar whacker. Guess the term stuck around!
Cromagnum
AG
Snowbirds. People who have a vacation home in the south to escape to during winter.
Burdizzo
AG
For the last 30 years I have been trying to figure out who Dick is and why his hatband is so tight..
superunknown
AG
Anonymous Source said:

There was a guy on my HS football team and we were on a road trip to Beaumont. We passed a frontage road sign and he said "Man...it seems like every city has a Frontage (pronounced fron-TAHHGE) Road."

this is by far my favorite one

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.