Question for Realtors

24,653 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 20 yr ago by
Jimmy Conway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know someone thinking of becoming a Real Estate agent.

What courses do they need to take and whats the process. I know there is sponsorships and whatnot. Do they need to take just Basic Principles of Real Estate I & II or other course or what?

Please fill me in if you know.
FromACutie
Can you take these classes online?

If so, where?

Someone told me the other day (from Georgia) that she has taken about 50 of her class hours online. Georgia requiring 75 total, I believe.
Jimmy Conway
ttt
bdenby
AG
Your local JUCO business dept. will have all the info you need. There are other classes besides Principles I & II.
FSBM
I took mine through Texas A&M Commerce. They mailed everything to you and I completed the work and faxed it in.

Because I already had a college degree, I only needed four courses:
Principles I
Principles II
Law of Agency
Contracts

It was pretty simple material (basic concepts and memorization). I had to read the, fill out an open-book quiz, fax it in, and they'd send an "open book final" to a testing site of my choice. Once I completed and all of the finals, I had to take the "license" test at a testing site to get my license.

The courses and basic course fees cost me just under $600. Once I was licensed I had to pay about a $1000 in MLS and other fees.

I'm not sure of the website, but you can search google for the A&M Commerce website and it'll give you all the info you need to get started.

EDIT: Also, be aware that Commerce multiplies their hours by 10-fold. They'll say you need 120 hours, but that's really just 12 hours (4 three hour courses) in A&M time.

[This message has been edited by FSBM (edited 4/5/2004 11:27a).]
FSBM
ddp

[This message has been edited by FSBM (edited 4/5/2004 11:25a).]
Jimmy Conway
What if you dont have a college degree completed but are only like 3 o 6 hours away from graduating with a college degree?
Jimmy Conway
and then what about practicing? How do you go on to practice?
RAB91
Here is a good reference site.
http://www.trec.state.tx.us/
It is the Texas Real Estate Commission's web site. It goes over what it takes to be a licensed agent and broker. I think it also talks about how to apply your college credit hours.

Another site that has some good information is http://championsschool.com/template/index.cfm
The class schedule may not be of any help if you are out of the Houston area, but it has some good general information.
FSBM
It's not so much the degree itself, but the classes I've taken. I was exempt from some of the math because of the classes I'd taken at A&M.

As for the "sponsorship," simply complete your courses and talk to a broker before you take your licensing exam. They'll give you some paperwork to fill out and will let you know what's what. While my experience with getting a sponsor was unique because of my situation, it's not that big of a deal. As long as you act somewhat sensible, I can't imagine a broker turning a potential agent down. After all, if you don't work for them, you work against them.
insanediego
AG
Just did the TAM at Commerce thingy

www.celi-edu.com/

give em a call.
get the textbooks, work at your own pace, take open book quizes. They send the finals to a sponsoring broker (you need to find one) to proctor. After you pass all 4 courses, sign up for the big kahuna RE license tests (1 state, 1 fed - take em both at the same time)...fed is cush, a joke, state test is a lil tougher, trivial questions imho
FSBM
Insanediego is correct about the tests. The fed part is cake - the state is a little tougher. You're tested on miniscule details that you'll probably never see again.

You can also take the test in the presence of a minister or policeman, at your local library, or a number of other sites/proctors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.