Luby's Closing

7,205 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgCat93
Dr.Rumack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Surprised there isn't a thread. From the article I read this week, this time it's for good.

LisaMarie
AG
Luann platter
Chicken fried steak, cream gravy
Fried okra
Mac and cheese
White roll and butter
UTExan
Broiled fish
cole slaw
fried okra
salad

pecan pie with coffee.

Edit: and a roll.

Thanks for the memories, Luby's.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
jokershady
AG
Thought they already closed
TyHolden
AG
Luann platter
Roast Beast with gravy
Fried okra
Mashed Potatoes with gravy
White roll and butter
TyHolden
AG
the last icon left...Easter is saved.

555-PINF
Syrupy fruit salad
Fried fish rectangle
Greens
Mac n cheese
Krazykat
AG
Wonder if they still plan to crank out their frozen food selections? Their frozen Mac & Cheese is pretty good... not the same as the restaurant, but good for frozen.
TXAG 05
AG
Dr.Rumack said:

Surprised there isn't a thread. From the article I read this week, this time it's for good.

Pretty sure there was a thread about a month ago when it was announced. You are a little late to the party.
MarathonAg12
The Ghost of DUCK01 said:

Syrupy fruit salad
Fried fish rectangle
Greens
Mac n cheese

This. My great grandma and grandma would take me out to here every summer when I visited. This was the plate I was got
MarathonAg12
Wrangler said:

Wonder if they still plan to crank out their frozen food selections? Their frozen Mac & Cheese is pretty good... not the same as the restaurant, but good for frozen.

The fish is awesome too!
MD20/20
AG
Are there approximately one million times
So called fried fish
Mac and cheese
Roll
Cherry pie
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
Krazykat
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Wrangler said:

The fish is awesome too!

Thanks. Will try them this Friday for Lent.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Pour one out for rectangle fish

Joe Schillaci 48
AG
jokershady said:

Thought they already closed
Most are but some on still hanging on. Plano and Rockwall still in business. My wife and I ate at the Plano location on Friday.

You really had to work hard to screw up Luby's.
It is a battle between former Senator Phil Gramm's son and one of the Pappas's. Young Gramm graduated from A&M Consolidated High School and Pappas is an Aggie legacy.

www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Gramm-Pappas-family-feud-over-Luby-s-all-about-13545101.php
rlb28
AG
liver and onions
cabbage
fried okra
jalapeno cornbread
Big Cat `93
AG
Blackened tilapia
Green beans
New potatoes
Cornbread
Fruit salad
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Almondine fish
Cabbage
Mac n cheese
Jalapeo cornbread
Chocolate pie
Sweet tea
Slicer97
AG
Only thing I'd miss from there is the chopped steak covered in cheese, scallions, and bacon bits.

Hardly fine dining, but damn if those things didn't hit the spot.
aggie_wes
AG
Good riddance. Over priced buffet-quality food but you only go through the line once. Can't believe they stayed in business as long as they did.
MGS
I do miss Fuddrucker's.
aggiephoenix02
I remember being so young and small I would have trouble carrying the tray. I was always nervous I would drop it...
combat wombat™
AG
LuAnne
Fish Almondine
Fried okra
Cabbage or broccoli
White roll

After I got pregnant, sometimes I'd add the green congealed "salad". I could not get enough of that when I was pregnant.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
There are still some spots in the RGV that are packed from 11 AM until 3 PM
AG
Garbage. Good riddance.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I saw a Luby's in downtown San Antonio last weekend, off of Euclid. There was a hand painted bed sheet hanging on the building advertising that they were open for inside dining. Very creepy, like a plea for help after a hurricane.

That place was deader than the Porter Loring Mortuary next door.
aggiephoenix02
A few weeks ago I saw a Lubys off 183 or 290 in Austin with the exact same bedsheet message. I thought, Who would authorize something so weird and creepy, but it must have come from corporate if multiple locations were doing it...
Tobias Funke
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

I saw a Luby's in downtown San Antonio last weekend, off of Euclid. There was a hand painted bed sheet hanging on the building advertising that they were open for inside dining. Very creepy, like a plea for help after a hurricane.

That place was deader than the Porter Loring Mortuary next door.

When I lived in San Antonio, I would ride my bike by that Luby's about once a week and was always amazed that it was still operational. Their parking lot basically a homeless shelter
ptothemo
AG
Fried fish
Fried okra
Mac n cheese
White roll
Apple pie with half and half poured over

My grandfather loved, and I mean loved, cafeterias, so I ate at a lot of them growing up. Luby's of course but also Piccadilly and Furr's and then he knew where all the local ones were in a lot of places after years of delivering cars. There is a whole lot of nostalgia for me when it comes to these places especially coming up on the anniversary of his passing.
Ghost91
ptothemo said:

Fried fish
Fried okra
Mac n cheese
White roll
Apple pie with half and half poured over

My grandfather loved, and I mean loved, cafeterias, so I ate at a lot of them growing up. Luby's of course but also Piccadilly and Furr's and then he knew where all the local ones were in a lot of places after years of delivering cars. There is a whole lot of nostalgia for me when it comes to these places especially coming up on the anniversary of his passing.

Great memories and sorry for your loss. I have the same memories, except in my case it was grandma always steering the ship.
The anticipation of pulling into the parking lot....walking in to 'see how long the line is' (quite often it was out the door, especially on Sundays)....finally getting your turn and grabbing the plastic tray (often with a bit of water on it from the dishwasher & the napkin roll of silverware - which I'd use to mop up the aforementioned water), then running the gauntlet.
As a kid I was usually first since I wasn't buying. But I always liked watching how they'd slap the paper ticket to the tea glass of whatever grownup in the family was buying that day. Then the search for a table while carrying the huge tray.
Later in life I was the one going last through the line and getting the (hefty) paper ticket slapped on my tea glass. That often meant having to do the slow confused walk to see where the table was that everyone else had chosen.

Oh and for the record:
Fried rectangle
Fried okra
Cabbage (never had better)
Big garlic Texas toast
Chocolate milk
combat wombat™
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Garbage. Good riddance.

Why? You didn't have to eat there.
Tanya 93
Fish Almondine
Green beans
Mac and cheese
Wheat roll
cucumber and tomato salad
Iced tea
Lemon pie
Johnny Park!
Luanne Platter

Liver & Onions
Fried Okra
Mac & Cheese
Roll
Coconut Meringue Pie
Iced Tea
Reel Aggies
AG
Fried fish square
Extra tarter sauce
Mac n cheese
Green beans
Tea

I miss the all-you-can-eat Lubys off Rittiman road in San Antonio.
Tobias Funke
AG
combat wombat said:

Tobias Funke said:

Garbage. Good riddance.

Why? You didn't have to eat there.

And I haven't in probably 20 years. Freedom is wonderful
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.