When to tuck shirt in

3,889 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by KidDoc
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So years ago, you generally tucked your shirt in - dress shirt, casual shirt and polo shirt - in most settings. To wear your shirt out was considered rude.

Nowadays, as long as you're not LOLfat, the shirt is worn out except for the long sleeved dress shirt. When reading style guides, as long as the shirt is tailless - you wear it out.

You guys up with this? Wearing the polo or casual shirt out with dress pants is the one that feels the weirdest to me.

I've also seen a lot of this - shirt out but tucked just over the belt. Since I rarely wear a belt anymore. this just doesn't work for me.

Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

Since I rarely wear a belt anymore.
Once you become a sweatpants guy there's no turning back.
agdaddy04
AG
Why are you worried about other guys' fashion, or what people think of what you're wearing?
toucan82
It's your shirt, do what you want
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
wbt5845
AG
Harry Lime said:

Quote:

Since I rarely wear a belt anymore.
Once you become a sweatpants guy there's no turning back.
Not quite - I just don't NEED to wear a belt anymore. when I wear one, it's just decorative.
Wildman15
AG
Can we all atleast be happy this wasn't some creeper post about trying to force us to watch competitive band marching?
wbt5845
AG
C@LAg said:

untucked unless wearing a belt; then it is based on situation.

unless you are a lolfat. no one wants to see the tent flapping in the breeze.
So the situation for tucking it in with the belt is... ? More formal the situation you tuck it in?
wbt5845
AG
Wildman15 said:

Can we all atleast be happy this wasn't some creeper post about trying to force us to watch competitive band marching?
No one ever forced you to do anything - I was trying to get Aggies to understand what a backward, unbalanced, out of tune, musically stilted world we live in.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Wildman15
AG
wbt5845 said:

C@LAg said:

untucked unless wearing a belt; then it is based on situation.

unless you are a lolfat. no one wants to see the tent flapping in the breeze.
So the situation for tucking it in with the belt is... ? More formal the situation you tuck it in?
It's purely situational. I was a sales rep for a building products manufacturer. I was required to wear business casual (no jeans or T-shirt's at all), but I dealt with contractors every day. 90% of my clients wore shorts or jeans and a T-shirt. So I was khaki or slacks with an untucked polo shirt so I wouldn't be too overly dressed for client meetings.

Now, whenever I had to travel to my corporate office???? Tucked in long sleeved button downs or a suit every day.

Have some awareness about what you're going to,
PatAg
AG
It's been like this for at least a decade
Wildman15
AG
wbt5845 said:

Wildman15 said:

No one ever forced you to do anything - I was trying to get Aggies to understand what a backward, unbalanced, out of tune, musically stilted world we live in.
TxSquarebody
Untucked makes it easier to conceal carry. Don't give a rats fart about fashion.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
lb3
AG
Nobody wants to see this:
wbt5845
AG
PatAg said:

It's been like this for at least a decade
To a degree, but you have to admit the untucked preference has been growing.
lb3 said:

Nobody wants to see this:

I did not give you permission to post pictures of me!
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
toolshed
AG
What if you always have to wear a belt because you got no butt to keep your pants up? Asking for a friend...
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
wbt5845
AG
toolshed said:

What so you do if you always have to wear a belt because you got no butt to keep your pants up? Asking for a friend...
Dead lifts
toucan82
toolshed said:

What if you always have to wear a belt because you got no butt to keep your pants up? Asking for a friend...

I have a flat butt but luckily I have a good-sized front bulge
toolshed
AG
toucan82 said:

toolshed said:

I have a flat butt but luckily I have a good-sized front bulge

So you walk around like this all day? Bulge holding up the front? I'd rather just wear a belt, don't want to give anyone the wrong impression about me.
Sad but true.
Aquin
AG
Ok boys now it is time for us to have a talk. I am 72 and still have a 34" waist because I have always worn a belt and tucked in my shirt.....I am sure it has something to do with a parochial school education.

Look belly fat is damn near impossible to lose. It is also deadly. Belts have notches. They are the early warning sign that you are turning into a slob. When you have to back off a notch you have added 5-10 pounds.

I think this practice of wearing your shirt tails out is the product of our obese society. The fat came first then everyone rationalize how good they looked when that hunk of protoplasm wasn't hanging over your belt. I know some of you are not concerned about fashion. So go into your closet and count the number of Hawaiian print shirts that you have. If you have more than one, you are already fat. I suggest that when you are the size of a sperm whale, a bold Hawaiian print might not be the best selection.

I appreciate that advise from an old fart is not generally well received among the intelligentsia on this board. Make a metal note. When you are 72, add up how many of your friends are already horizontal because of those conditions associated with being over weight.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I like to think of it as having a classic Hank Hill build.

I need a belt if I'm walking as far as the driveway, otherwise even my skinny jeans start sliding down.
toucan82
If you've got it, flaunt it
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Go yell at some clouds.

But seriously, I don't think the people the OP is addressing are the type whose weight is out of control. It's just noting changes to men's fashion.

For me: court or most clients = suit and tie. For most days at office, it's whatever I damn well please because it's my business. If I want to wear casual pants with an untucked polo and loafers with no socks, that is what I wear. If I want to wear athleisure type stuff, I do. For more formal get togethers (networking dinners, etc) it's slacks, long sleeve shirt tucked in and a jacket.
Krazykat
AG
wbt5845 said:

except for the long sleeved dress shirt.

Not true anymore. Guys in my office wear their dress shirts out with a tie.... even with a coat. Try it on Monday. You'll be considered the cool guy in the office.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I don't tuck my shirt in because there is always a M&P 9mm under it.
wbt5845
AG
Wrangler said:

wbt5845 said:

Not true anymore. Guys in my office wear their dress shirts out with a tie.... even with a coat. Try it on Monday. You'll be considered the cool guy in the office.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Wrangler said:

wbt5845 said:

You'll be the unemployed guy in my office if it happens again on Tuesday.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Don't you just wear something like this?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.