What does the richest self-made woman you know do for a living?

9,048 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieDoc19
Win At Life
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This thread made me realize that I don't know very many "rich" people and of those, not one is a woman who made her own substantial money apart from what her husband made. Nope, can't think of one right now. Maybe one will come to me in a bit.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
So who's going to break out the cans for these rich broads?
HollywoodBQ
AG
She bakes cakes.

But, she was an early Dell employee who enjoyed all six stock splits.
FNG
TecRecAg said:

FNG said:

And she once paid in full for a new Cadillac and had the custodian get the commission check for the sale because nobody on the sales floor would help her. She had the custodian show her a car. She had showed up to buy the car after she got through working flower beds. The sales people ignored her.
That's awesome.

It really was. Kind of a legendary story in our family. I've heard it a few times.

It was a Saturday. It was maybe 1980 or so? She always drove a Cadillac, except for a period in the late 60's when she drove Mustangs.

She had loaned her car to a business associate who was going to be entertaining clients that day. Probably lunch, drinks, and an Astros day game or something.

She worked flower beds all morning. Was dirty. Wearing yard-working clothes. Probably a hat.

Business associate calls her in mid-afternoon and say he has been in an accident. Nobody seriously injured but the car is badly damaged. My aunt gets in touch with insurance, yadda yadda. She ain't waiting on their check to get a new ride.

She gets a cab or a ride from a neighbor down to the Caddy dealership. She usually lived ITL in the Tine. Seemed to move a lot, maybe every couple years. But always lived along Richmond or Westheimer or Bissonnet or that area. Went to whatever Caddy/GM dealer was over that way.

Brings her checkbook. Don't recall if it was personal checkbook or business. Not sure if the car was "hers" or had been purchased by the business by her for her to use for business, which she did a lot of back then.

She probably looked like a homeless person. The sales sharks didn't circle at all. She didn't look like a River Oaks or West U or Memorial or Southampton stepford wife that day.

She knew what she wanted. Same car she had been driving. El Dorado.

She sees a young Hispanic man sweeping or cleaning over towards the back and grabs him and asks him to show her a car.

They go out on the lot, she finds the color and options she wants on the sticker. Sales sharks see them walking back and start to butt in and send the custodian away so they can swoop in and take the sale.

She asks for the general manager. He comes out.

She says that she is buying that car today. Will you take my check? Oh, and this young man that helped me will get the commission for the sale.

The GM and the sharks had a fit. She said "you would not give me the time of day when I walked in here and judged me by how I look. I'm buying this car outright today and that young man is getting his cut."

The GM relented and said he would be sure the custodian got paid.

She said "get the dealership's checkbook. You will pay him his commission while I watch or I'll go drive home a car from another dealership today."

They wrote the custodian a check. She wrote her check. Drove her new car home.

She was one of those people that was going to be successful no matter what field she went into.

Her right-hand was a beautiful woman named Dori, who found herself out of a job when my aunt retired pretty young.

Dori ended up being Victoria Principal's executive assistant or whatever the title was after my aunt moved away from big city life. They kept in touch. Dori would bring her dad and whatever much younger guy she was dating to visit my aunt a couple times per year. She said Victoria paid well and was one of the most beautiful women you would ever see, and there were perks of being around all the stars, but she was very demanding and had diva tendencies.

MF Barnes could only wish for some of the stuff my aunt accomplished.
jokershady
AG
THAT sounds like a hell of a woman! Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that entire interaction.....

Also this scene comes to mind and would definitely have been something she could have pulled off!

THE_CHOSEN_ONE
She's high class hooker
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Stole a bunch of artwork from tony Buzbee.
aeon-ag
She flat backs!
ToddyHill
AG
She's retired and living the good life in Las Vegas during the winter, and Wyoming during the summer.

After leaving the NFL, she bought a small meat processing company and spent the next 20 years building it up. She sold it to a private equity firm and made several million dollars.

Here's a great article about her time with the Eagles....

Susan Tose
infinity ag
Tatem said:

My mom. Grew up in poverty and is now worth double digits millions
She owns a logistic company and has invested in some real estate over the years

I will say-money changes people though
She's a different person than she was before she amassed her fortune

Different in what way? Does she treat you differently?
MisterEddy
infinity ag said:

Tatem said:

My mom. Grew up in poverty and is now worth double digits millions
She owns a logistic company and has invested in some real estate over the years

I will say-money changes people though
She's a different person than she was before she amassed her fortune

Different in what way? Does she treat you differently?
She sucked weiner more
OasisMan
AG
FNG said:

TecRecAg said:

FNG said:

And she once paid in full for a new Cadillac and had the custodian get the commission check for the sale because nobody on the sales floor would help her. She had the custodian show her a car. She had showed up to buy the car after she got through working flower beds. The sales people ignored her.
That's awesome.

It really was. Kind of a legendary story in our family. I've heard it a few times.

It was a Saturday. It was maybe 1980 or so? She always drove a Cadillac, except for a period in the late 60's when she drove Mustangs.

She had loaned her car to a business associate who was going to be entertaining clients that day. Probably lunch, drinks, and an Astros day game or something.

She worked flower beds all morning. Was dirty. Wearing yard-working clothes. Probably a hat.

Business associate calls her in mid-afternoon and say he has been in an accident. Nobody seriously injured but the car is badly damaged. My aunt gets in touch with insurance, yadda yadda. She ain't waiting on their check to get a new ride.

She gets a cab or a ride from a neighbor down to the Caddy dealership. She usually lived ITL in the Tine. Seemed to move a lot, maybe every couple years. But always lived along Richmond or Westheimer or Bissonnet or that area. Went to whatever Caddy/GM dealer was over that way.

Brings her checkbook. Don't recall if it was personal checkbook or business. Not sure if the car was "hers" or had been purchased by the business by her for her to use for business, which she did a lot of back then.

She probably looked like a homeless person. The sales sharks didn't circle at all. She didn't look like a River Oaks or West U or Memorial or Southampton stepford wife that day.

She knew what she wanted. Same car she had been driving. El Dorado.

She sees a young Hispanic man sweeping or cleaning over towards the back and grabs him and asks him to show her a car.

They go out on the lot, she finds the color and options she wants on the sticker. Sales sharks see them walking back and start to butt in and send the custodian away so they can swoop in and take the sale.

She asks for the general manager. He comes out.

She says that she is buying that car today. Will you take my check? Oh, and this young man that helped me will get the commission for the sale.

The GM and the sharks had a fit. She said "you would not give me the time of day when I walked in here and judged me by how I look. I'm buying this car outright today and that young man is getting his cut."

The GM relented and said he would be sure the custodian got paid.

She said "get the dealership's checkbook. You will pay him his commission while I watch or I'll go drive home a car from another dealership today."

They wrote the custodian a check. She wrote her check. Drove her new car home.

She was one of those people that was going to be successful no matter what field she went into.

Her right-hand was a beautiful woman named Dori, who found herself out of a job when my aunt retired pretty young.

Dori ended up being Victoria Principal's executive assistant or whatever the title was after my aunt moved away from big city life. They kept in touch. Dori would bring her dad and whatever much younger guy she was dating to visit my aunt a couple times per year. She said Victoria paid well and was one of the most beautiful women you would ever see, and there were perks of being around all the stars, but she was very demanding and had diva tendencies.

MF Barnes could only wish for some of the stuff my aunt accomplished.
this sounds an awful lot like "my big fish" tale

Win At Life
AG
I'm not sure I would call a lady was was given an$18MM trucking business and ownership of the Philadelphia Eagles by her father and then managed to squirl away a few million for herself before her father pissed it all away gambling as a self made fortune.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
I remember reading a similar story about Tillman Fertitta. He walked into an exotic car dealership dressed like an ordinary guy and nobody paid any attention to him. Pissed him off to the point that he bought the dealership.
FNG
Agasaurus Tex said:

I remember reading a similar story about Tillman Fertitta. He walked into an exotic car dealership dressed like an ordinary guy and nobody paid any attention to him. Pissed him off to the point that he bought the dealership.

Then he can drive them all!
aTm2004
AG
Agasaurus Tex said:

Post Oak Motor Cars.
Danny Vermin
My next door neighbor is the owner and inventor of poo pourri and worth about 50 million.
FNG
Danny Vermin said:

My next door neighbor is the owner and inventor of poo pourri and worth about 50 million.

She's worth every penny. That stuff is gold!
Old RV Ag
AG
Danny Vermin said:

Suzy is worth much more than 50 million.
ToddyHill
AG
Great point. Truth be known, she got nothing from her father. He pissed it all away. He was bankrupt when he died, and she supported him till the day he died.
Al Bula
AG
Who cares? Why is she out of the kitchen and not making sandwiches?!
MisterEddy
Shife said:

Who cares? Why is she out of the kitchen and not making sandwiches?!
asking the real questions
FNG
I don't know about my aunt's sammich making skills. But she made great enchiladas.
dcAg
The Lady I mentioned in my earlier post...we sold her company in Aspen for $19.7+ million.
Potcake
AG
Veterinary Internist. She was also personally enriched by marrying me. I have prospects. I'm bona fide.
Humorous Username
AG
Danny Vermin said:

Nice humblebrag.
Humorous Username
AG
I'm surprised there aren't more stories of rich cougars that some of y'all hooked up with in your teens and twenties.

Then again, maybe y'all just failed to mention that part of your relationship.
Alte Schule
The wife of a friend and co-worker. In the early 80's she started as a sales associate behind the jewelry counter at Walmart. Became a corporate jewelry buyer in the mid 90's and moved to Arkansas with her husband Invested in tech stocks and assisted living facilities. Donated heavily to animal no kill shelters.

AggieDoc19
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.