Anybody else not that impressed by Citizen Kane?

3,326 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BleacherRat
TAMC11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just watched it for the first time last night. Wasn't that impressed. It was okay but I don't see why it's consistently considered one of the best movies of all time and I really don't get the 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Dread Pirate Roberts
It was great for its time. It doesn't seem great now because so many other movies have copied it that it seems boring. People at the time loved it
Bruce Almighty
AG
Modern day audiences won't appreciate it because it is kinda boring. I'm not even sure 1940 audiences appreciated it. It's considered the greatest, not because it's an amazing movie to watch, it's considered the greatest because of how it changed film making. It's pretty much the movie version of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
jkag89
You can gain a better appreciation for the film if you watch documentary film The Battle Over Citizen Kane. Not sure where you might be able to find it now, it aired in the late '90s as part of PBS' American Experience series. Even so, I think it is vastly overrated.
Ragoo
AG
umm, The Wizard of Oz and Gone With The Wind 2 years earlier are better films. How did citizen Kane change filmmaking?
Cromagnum
AG
Tried it. Could not finish it.
chipotle
I just started Raging Bull. Meh, don't think I'll finish
PneumAg
It's definitely a garbage movie, OP. You are correct.
elfurioso92
AG
Raging Bull is a horrible movie. I suppose if you are Italian, a boxing fan, and grew up in the Bronx in the late 1940's it might have appeal.
Burdizzo
AG
If Citizen Kane were made today it would be a movie about George Soros
Shakes the Clown
Quote:

In fact, a Boston Globe writer dubbed it the "Citizen Kane of alcoholic clown movies."

http://www.trunkworthy.com/bobcat-goldthwaits-citizen-kane-of-alcoholic-clown-movies/

WTF are you saying OP?
TX AG 88
AG
watched it, didn't really enjoy it, and am not well informed enough to understand what was so special about it. I'm sure there's something, or many things.

(Maybe one of them is just "cool kids" adopting the attitudes/opinions of cool kids before them to fit in, though?)
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Considering how most people's live were in 1940, I'd go watch us lose 77-0 to OU at the theater and call it a masterpiece.
Hey Nav
AG
A large percentage of professional film critics consider Citizen Kane #1 of all movies. But to each his own, I guess.

If you were to list one (1) and only one "greatest film" what would it be?
Al Bula
AG
Can we rename this thread to "most overrated disaster of all time?"
Ragoo
AG
Gone with the wind
GrapevineAg
AG
I love movies from that era, but not CK. Just didn't do it for me. Some of my cinematography-geek friends explained how cool that stuff was, and I can appreciate that, but there's no way that should be the AFI #1 movie of the 20th century.

ETA: In answer to Hey Nav's question, I'd go with Casablanca.
Dr.Rumack
People still put Rebel Without a Cause on a pedestal too...
Bruce Almighty
AG
Hey Nav said:

A large percentage of professional film critics consider Citizen Kane #1 of all movies. But to each his own, I guess.

I wouldn't rank it #1 because I don't think it really registers with the general public. I would put Godfather #1 because it is universally loved while also being highly acclaimed with critics and film geeks. Citizen Kane is one of those movies that people watch, but never really want to watch again. If a movie has to be analyzed to see the greatness in it, It shouldn't be considered the greatest ever made.
ro828
A lot of my admiration for CITIZEN KANE is tied up with knowing how William Randolph Hearst did everything he could to keep it from ever being released because the main character is very clearly based on Hearst. I look at it as one of the greatest movies ever made, but wouldn't put it anywhere near the top of the list.
Hey Nav
AG
I know nothing about film making and I have a hard time with lists.

There are so many films that I think are great. And that's good enough for me.

That said, Hank Hill rented The Great Santini 23 times from the video store, and I respect that.

If I had to pick one favorite, it would be American Graffiti.
PoohAh97
AG
Citizen Kane is like a tech demo of "Here is how we could make amazing movies, and they'll be art," and it's so weird and unnatural (not in the charming Wes Anderson way) that it's constantly drawing your attention to its fun little tricks.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
M*A*S*H is horrible. Do not watch.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TAMC11
AG
That's a difficult question to answer because my taste in movies is all over the map. I think the best films are those that you can watch over again. Movies that I would watch anytime they're on are Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, The Big Lebowski, Inglourious Basterds, Whiplash, Tropic Thunder, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, the Departed, etc. I think if pressed, I would say the movie that fits the bill of both classically good movie and one that I enjoy watching is Shawshank Redemption.
Tanya 93
Hey Nav said:

To Kill a Mockingbird

My favorite movie of all time is The Philadelphia Story though.
Win At Life
AG
If this thread is devolving into a discussion of what are the greatest movies ever made;

2001 A Space Odyssey

Needs to be mentioned

jokershady
AG
I loved it the first time I watched it. The main reason for that though was I watched it in HS and had a very intelligent English teacher who LOVED pointing out all the little uses of imagery and foreshadowing that most films at the time this was made never did.

So that really helped with my appreciation for it
superunknown
AG
Ragoo said:

Gone With The Wind 2

I didn't know there was a sequel
Ragoo
AG
superunknown said:

Ragoo said:

Gone With The Wind 2

goner with the wind
cisgenderedAggie
Ragoo said:

superunknown said:

Ragoo said:

Gone With The Wind 2

boner in the wind

FIFY
Burdizzo
AG
superunknown said:

Ragoo said:

Gone With The Wind 2

Gone With the Wind 2: Scarlett Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Lefty96
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Modern day audiences won't appreciate it because it is kinda boring. I'm not even sure 1940 audiences appreciated it. It's considered the greatest, not because it's an amazing movie to watch, it's considered the greatest because of how it changed film making. It's pretty much the movie version of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, the movie, was even better than CK.
Ag_EE
AG
Rosebud...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.