What is the BEST book you've ever read?

27,012 Views | 238 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tandy miller
Tex Ag 81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Killers of the Flower Moon
AnScAggie
AG
Where the Red Fern Grows
Texarkanaag69
AG
After the Bible, Once An Eagle.
Cramp00
for whom the bell tolls or kite runner
RAB87
AG
Bible. Then Goodbye to a River.
degreedy
AG
Geralt of Rivia said:

I love The Dark Tower series by Stephen King

Favorite book in that series was Wizard and Glass
Retired Principal
AG
TW78
AG
That is a good one. Memoirs of Yellowstone Kelly also a good one if you dont need fiction.
Owen Kellogg
AG
Fountainhead
AGnBCS
AG
Norwegian Wood: chopping ,stacking, drying wood the Scandinavian way.
TyHolden
AG
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2921132
phatbc
Serotonin said:

The Count of Monte Cristo

It's one of the few books I was assigned in school that I enjoyed.
this
Green2Maroon
AG
The Kite Runner. Highly recommended.
ikema
AG
Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins
turfaggie24
AG
A co-worker of mine was from Marlow, Oklahoma and his grandpa was none other than Quannah Parker.
bobfily
American childhood is a constant journey to sand quarries and green parks. It seems to me that popular student exchange programs help to see the whole continent and you can get to know more than one country. I recommend reading the book " An American childhood" https://freebooksummary.com/category/an-american-childhood about proper social positioning. This is an up-to-date book for those who have doubts about the steps.
Gilligan
AG
The Expanse Series.

Have my preorder in for book #9 to be delivered Nov 16.
NoahAg
Atlas Shrugged. Ayn Rand was a prophet.
Caesar4
AG
At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson
https://www.amazon.com/At-Home-Short-History-Private-ebook/dp/B003F3FJGY
AustinAg2K
I'm not sure that "To Kill A Mockingbird" is the best book I've ever read, but it's up there. My high school English teacher raved about it all year. Finally when we got to reading it at the end of the year, based off all the other crap she made us read earlier, I was convinced it would be garbage. I didn't like my teacher either, so I was determined to not like the book. I distinctly remember getting to the end and thinking, "Damn it. That was really f'in good." I was so pissed.
Beer Baron
AG
I like broad, sweeping fiction with a zillion characters, so my favorites are Pillars of the Earth, The Stand, and Lonesome Dove. During COVID I've been making my way through The Expanse series and if you're even kind of a sci fi nerd I highly recommend them.
pbrancazio
AG
The Glory and the Dream, a narrative history of America 1932-1972 by William Manchester. The story of the the greatest generation.
JoeAggie5
The Bud McFarlane Jr book series (3 books) is really good. It's been probably 10 years since I read them, but I really want to go back and read them.

Also if you have a teenager (catholic teenager bonus due to storyline) I highly recommend Arms of Love and Surrender by Carmen Marcoux.
GTdad
Man, I have a bunch of favorites. If I had to pick just one, I'd have to go with "When the Sacred Gin Mill Closes" by Lawrence Block, featuring hard-boiled private detective Matt Scudder. You may remember seeing Liam Neeson play the character in "A Walk Among the Tombstones".

Block is one hell of a writer, and if you like the genre, "Ginmill" isn't just noir, it's NOIR.
akaggie05
AG
The Hot Zone

Admittedly, I'm a sucker for medical-related nonfiction and accounts of infectious disease outbreaks. The book was terrifying to read 20+ years ago and it all came rushing back when the guy in Dallas turned up with Ebola (at the freaking hospital that I was born at, no less).
TellMeMore
+1 At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson
Also One Summer, America 1927 same author
Owen Kellogg
AG
NoahAg said:

Atlas Shrugged. Ayn Rand was a prophet.

Agreed. I reread Atlas Shrugged last year. The parallels to today's society are absolutely mind boggling.

That said, I enjoyed Fountainhead more and consider it my 'favorite'.
regina45
I would not trust you in this matter and turned to more reliable sources. For example, at https://edupro.cc/subjects/ there is a huge selection of different free subjects and courses to study. This is very helpful for students who want to gain knowledge.
Al Bula
AG
regina45 said:

I would not trust you in this matter and turned to more reliable sources. For example, at **spam link removed** there is a huge selection of different free subjects and courses to study. This is very helpful for students who want to gain knowledge.
I hope get HIV in your butthole for your spam link, bot.

Great bump though. I'm re-reading Shogun for the umpteenth time and it only gets better. Hard to believe the first time I read it was August 2001. I remember it because I was reading it on a family trip to Boston right before 9/11 happened.
tandy miller
AG
Barbarians at the Gate
FJB

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.