Where were you when you heard about the towers?

8,245 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Burdizzo
TxFig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife woke me up to get ready to go to work (in the Physics Dept on campus) saying "a plane hit the WTC". In my groggy state I thought something like "that building is too big for a small plane to do any real damage". Then she said it was a 747 and there were other planes that were hijacked too.

I got up and stepped into the living room about 2 minutes before the 2nd tower was hit.

Upon seeing that my thought was "We're now at war. I don't know with who, but some country is about to get bombed into oblivion." I honestly think that if it had been a state-sponsored act (and we had known who), we would have dropped nukes on them.

I remember being pissed that A&M didn't cancel classes that day. Nobody did any work that day anyway. I know I didn't.
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
Unemployed
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

RealTalk said:

MuckRaker96 said:

A buddy of mine was driving a delivery truck for Frito-Lay back then. When he got done his route, he went back to drop it off and watch the news with everyone else.

Earlier that day, another driver had called his boss outside of a convenience store on I-10 right outside of Beaumont. He had gone into the store to find the Muslim man who owned the store and one of his relatives laughing and cracking jokes at the images of the Towers on fire and the people plunging to their deaths.

The driver was enormously effected by it and didn't know how to respond so he retreated to the truck to call his boss and ask for guidance. The boss told him to go back in and pull every single product that Frito-Lay supplied the store with off the shelves and if they got in his way to "defend himself."

The boss then called his contemporaries at Pepsi, Coke and the major beer distributors, and told them what had happened. Each of those managers in turn sent a truck to the location and pulled all of their merchandise as well. By the end of the day, the convenience store was down to only what local merchants had stocked there. The rest of the store was empty.

Frito-Lay severed its contract with the store the next day and never supplied them again.
I don't believe you.
why would I make something up about the worst day in most of our lifetimes? I'm just repeating a story I was told 18 years ago. Don't give a **** if you believe it or not. Just sharing our collective pain.
So did you actually have a friend who drove a delivery truck for Frito-Lay and he told you this story firsthand?

Or did you just copy and paste this story from an e-mail forward you got?

Either way, your ass got duped.
BenFiasco14
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Unfortunately, I was in Manhattan in an elevator on 34th street going up to the office. That week was the scariest thing I have ever been through in my life. I worked on software development project for an engineering company who had project offices across from Madison Square Garden for about a year. 3 weeks a month I was in Manhattan and 9/11 occurred about 3/4 way through that contract.

On 9/13 or 9/14, I drove 26 hours straight through to get back home to my wife and 1yo daughter.

Manhattan, is not a place I ever really want to go to again. Being a Texan my whole life, it wasn't high on my list to begin with, but I've spent enough time there to know there are better places in the US to go, if I had a choice!!!

I'm interested to hear more about your experience actually being in NYC when it happened, if you don't mind sharing.

So, you were going up an elevator... then what happened?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Square Pair
AG
Meeting with CIA reps on a system they wanted to integrate into our system for data collection.
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
Waffle House
agdaddy04
AG
Just got out of Accounting 8am class and on the bus thought it was weird that talk radio was on since they were only allowed to play music stations. Once I listened to what was going on decided not to go to another class that day and joined some friends in their dorm room to watch tv the rest of the day.
KidDoc
AG
I was in my 2/3 years of pediatric residency at TCH. That particular day I was on the Ben Taub PICU team and we were in the middle of rounds when a nurse said a plane hit a WTC tower. We figured it was an accident but after rounds the 2nd plane hit. We took care of the patients then had to start with disaster preparation scenarios.

It was the only time in my life that I can remember a real feeling of depression all around me. Just a general feeling of doom that lasted at least a few weeks throughout the medical center and Houston.

It was a scary and bizarre time to be a pediatric resident.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
falconace
Was a junior in high school and in precalculus class. Another teacher stuck her head in and told the teacher to turn on the tv. We just sat in silence watching.

After the second plane hit, one of the principals got on the intercom and told the school that our nation was under attack. He then asked everyone that believed there was a God to pray for our country and the victims families.

We just went from class to class watching the tv. No one lingered in the halls. Some kids parents pulled them from school throughout the day.

Had several friends who signed up for the military in the following days.
Murphag
I don't know why you wouldn't believe Muckraker's story.
I had gotten to work very early and heard my coworker on the phone say "a 2nd plane?" He told a couple of us and we went in the break room to watch on our big-screen TV. By 8:30 the whole company was there and stayed until noon. No work got done at all. Our manager was from Afghanistan and he immediately told another guy (after the 2nd plane) "I can't believe they're doing this here!" He disappeared 30 minutes later. Everyone was wondering why. Turns out, his Dad had squealed on the Russians in Afghanistan and got the family to the US. He was afraid for his kids and had left to pull'em out of school.

The next morning I was leaving for work when I hear some chanting. A guy was walking down the street chanting some MIddle Eastern BS. He told me God was punishing the US. Pretty sure he did not say Allah. We actually talked for a few minutes and he goes on. I come home that night and I hear loud Muslim music. A car filled with Muslim "yutes" goes by. They were all yelling and celebrating, hanging out the windows. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. They came by the next morning, too. So, yeah, I believe it. And the videos from Pakistan, etc.

Also heard of a guy at a 7-11 type store in Big Sandy was celebrating that day. His store burned down within a week
Burdizzo
AG
Excuse me for the language I am about to use. This is a direct quote.

I worked for one of the A&M system agencies back then. We were in leased office space off campus with several other A&M agencies. The office next door had a bunch of ladies in their mid-50s, and they had a TV, one of those small ones with an integral VCR they used for training. After we had all had a few hours of hearing about what was going on I went next door that afternoon to look at their TV for any updates. I was standing there and one of those old ladies says, "I think after today we should round up every raghead on the campus and send them home." And then she walked out of the room.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.