I miss that deep diving pool from the rec center.

4,164 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OasisMan
lancevance
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jumping into that was so terrifying and exciting at the same time. Not sure how I can find another pool like that. Never appreciated the facilities students had while I was in school.
OasisMan
AG
lancevance said:

Never appreciated the facilities students had while I was in school.
here
Oryx
Did they open the 10m to everyone?

When I tried to go up there they locked the top two.
lotsofhp
AG
I too miss the rec and the chicks who frequented it
jamotoe1
Oryx said:

Did they open the 10m to everyone?

When I tried to go up there they locked the top two.
Back in the day when I worked there as a life guard, only dive team could use those. They'd let us use it occasionally after hours though. It was especially fun to jump off the 10m platform when we used the bubbles underneath to break the surface tension when you landed. You'd resurface half way on the other side of the pool.
Ragoo
AG
Took SCUBA in that pool.

Now I wish I would have been more interested in swimming back then.
Direct Enter Enter
Is this the one that was by the pedestrian bridge over Wellborn?
george_92
Deware Field House is where men would work out in the late 80s and early 90s. No air conditioning and 70 years of sweat smelling up the place. Smelled like............victory.
C4D
AG
That pool had a way of punishing me. Started with my first PE elective swimming class. I thought i could swim when i got to A&M. Nope.
justcallmeharry
S
I jumped off that high platform one too many times - once.
Wildman15
AG
One of the worse experiences I had while in the band was having to play at the Aggie swim invitational events. A "voluntold" group of us Aggie Bandsmen had to play at a few of those events. We opened the event by having smaller groups of us standing on each of the diving boards and playing a few songs before the meet began. The only problem was we couldnt hear what song the drum major called out to play. Compound that on top of us being divided across the multiple diving platforms and the outrageous echo. Turned out to not be one of our best moments
Direct Enter Enter
george_92 said:

Deware Field House is where men would work out in the late 80s and early 90s. No air conditioning and 70 years of sweat smelling up the place. Smelled like............victory.
IIRC the weight room was moved from East Kyle to Deware around 1985 or 1986.
chipotle
Pool honeys
george_92
Tailhookin Devilpup said:

george_92 said:

IIRC the weight room was moved from East Kyle to Deware around 1985 or 1986.

Well that smell in the basement dump of a weight room had to come from somewhere. Maybe it was sweat from the basketball court that dropped down through the floor all those years.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I recall the 3m springboards and the 10m platform being closed off when I was a student. They'd let you use the 3m platform and 1m springboards.

Scuba class in that pool was always fun.
HarryAg
AG
Downs Natatorium was the happening place back in the day.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
george_92 said:

And dianabol, winstrol and testosterone.
JoeAggie5
I remember walking by the outdoor pool / volleyball area on a way to a football game and saying, where was that when we were in school. I was reminded it was there when I went to school. Found out we had a library that day too.
TriAg2010
AG
I probably swam at the Rec a few hundred times as a student, but it always felt weird doing laps in the dive well. Plus it was too warm.
Jack Klompus
AG
Cool part of the dive well was going downstairs and watching people jump in from the observation windows below water.
Counterpoint
AG
Jack Klompus said:

Cool part of the dive well was going downstairs and watching people jump in from the observation windows below water.

I've seen those windows when swimming laps there. How do you get down there?
62strat
AG
Counterpoint said:

Jack Klompus said:

take the stairs.
Rule Number 32
AG
OasisMan said:

lancevance said:

here
Yeah, but remember that time I did that sweet one and a half flip off the 3m springboard???

That moment of OH SH*T pops into my head occasionally still, 13 years later.
Counterpoint
AG
62strat said:

Counterpoint said:

Jack Klompus said:

take the stairs.
Where are they though?
mrad85
AG
I've jumped off both the 10m at both Cain pool and the new pool spaced about 28 years apart.
Fish buddies and I snuck into Cain one night and took turns jumping for about 30 minutes.
New pool not near as fun, no sneaking, but fears of a giant water enema did kick in
OasisMan
AG
Rule Number 32 said:

OasisMan said:

lancevance said:

here
Yeah, but remember that time I did that sweet one and a half flip off the 3m springboard???

That moment of OH SH*T pops into my head occasionally still, 13 years later.
its that extra half that always gets you
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.