Time share removal

11,101 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Smithjg
lotsofhp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would add that is sounds like 62 is able to get away a hole lot. Each time he uses all of the benefits then it makes it a little more worth it for him. Kind of like the family that buys a season pass to 6 flags and goes every weekend of the summer gets a much better deal than then family who only goes twice.

I read 62's post and my fist thought isn't the money. It's the time off to be able to go and use the amenities as frequent as it takes for it all to be worth it. It frankly sounds exhausting.
WES2006AG
AG
I had no idea that this thread would be a place for people to try and convince themselves that they are the smart ones who didn't get screwed with their timeshare.
62strat
AG
Quote:

Add the fact there are so many commercials now advertising for how to GET OUT of a time share - well, too many red flags for my blood.
Again, I think that's a product of baby boomers (edit, and also the people onlyfornow is describing - financially inept people), the initial buyers of time shares, are now 30 years older and retired and maybe many of them with limited income, and possibly getting too old to travel much anyway. Add in the fact they are mostly inept at googling something, and they don't realize that if they don't want to pay the HOA, then you simply don't send the check. No one is coming after them to get anything, they simply lose their week. You don't have to 'get out of it'. It literally states in our contract; failure to pay dues can result in loss of ownership. That's it. I'd be clean of it.

Now selling it, that is a different story. If you pay $20k for a timeshare and a year later want to 'get out of it' by way of selling and recouping money, good luck. But if you actually used it for a handful of decades, got the value you wanted out of it, and now just want to free yourself from HOA dues and not use it anymore, then there is no issue here.
The Lost
62strat said:

OnlyForNow said:

The maintenance fee change is what astonishes me.

It's definitely a big factor. Our resort is a huge ski in ski out resort with heated pools, heated concrete around all the pools, movie theaters, grotto/spa, arcade, bars/restaurants, 2000sf gym, private shuttle service, etc, etc, so it's on the higher end of what dues can be, but it's still much less than what I am getting out of it on a yearly basis by either selling or trading. I sold 4 nights of my week last year to someone here on texags for $1750, over $1000 what I paid in HOA. Then we used the other 3 nights and did a sales pitch for 90 minutes for $150 to buy our food/drinks for the weekend. The sales pitch after you've already purchased is much different than one where you aren't an owner. They are basically getting feedback from owners on what they like, what they don't like, is the trading system easy to use, what can they change, and also seeing if you want an additional unit, or they'll offer to buy back yours and you can get a bigger unit, a different season if you are looking to do that. They offered to buy ours back to get a better season (winter), and the offer was more than we paid. We didn't care though, because we don't actually typically stay there with our week. If we want winter, we trade it through interval.

I randomly see other timeshare hoa fees, and some are like $100 a year. It's basically a plain hotel 'off the strip' with a 20' rectangular pool and not much else to speak of for amenities. You also aren't trading that for a week at a Marriott resort on the beach.

Timeshares started out as these crappy hotels (which in the 70s/80s were probably the standard), and they still are around. But clearly that has changed as brands like hilton, disney and marriott are in the game now, and we are now talking huge resorts on prime real estate in prime locations.
You really need to argue for a fast pass to skip the ski lines that have become insane at breck... then you're winning.
62strat
AG
The Lost said:

You really need to argue for a fast pass to skip the ski lines that have become insane at breck... then you're winning.
We're on peak 7, not peak 8. Peak 7 doesn't have a shuttle drop off at the lift like peak 8 does, there is way less people.

Here is a weekend in December, at 11:30am.

Also, we don't go on holiday weekends when everyone else there. Your typical random weekend is not anything near as bad as pres day, xmas/nye, mlk, spring break..
62strat
AG
Quote:

I read 62's post and my fist thought isn't the money. It's the time off to be able to go and use the amenities as frequent as it takes for it all to be worth it. It frankly sounds exhausting.
See, I went to college to get a job where I have time off every week. It's called a weekend. You know that people that live in Denver pretty much go west for the weekend right? It's not some fantasy world that is just made up to make Texans jealous. Weekends are when Coloradans can take a short drive to go ski, snowmobile, fish, raft, hike, bike, rv/camp, etc..

Most of denver is an hour or 2 from multiple mountain towns. In our case, we're 1.5-2 hours from Breck, our favorite mtn town. And even with 2 boys a year apart, for the first 3-4 years of their life during infancy/diapers/strollers/highchairs, etc, we've still managed to go west 5-6 times a year. It will only increase in the coming years. If that's exhausting, then I guess want to be exhausted.
The Lost
62strat said:

The Lost said:

We're on peak 7, not peak 8. Peak 7 doesn't have a shuttle drop off at the lift like peak 8 does, there is way less people.

Here is a weekend in December, at 11:30am.

Also, we don't go on holiday weekends when everyone else there. Your typical random weekend is not anything near as bad as pres day, xmas/nye, mlk, spring break..

So you're saying you haven't been there this year since december... because that independence superchair routinely gets above 10+ minutes both in person and on the app on random weekends this year since there has been tons of snow fridays.

Oh and there is a gondola that probably drops more people off than shuttles literally 200 yards from the lift...

Dec 23 was easily the best day I'll have at breck this year... have sworn it off until april after looking at the app times and a poor experience in january due to lines and multiple other friends complaining about them this year.

We've been rotating abasin, keystone and bc since early january. Nothing really beats beaver creek, but its far.
Smithjg
TriAg2010 said:

Anything closer to home, say Lake Conroe?
I had a timeshare at Walden on Lake Conroe for 10 years, before my divorce and I loved it! I played for free, but had to pay for a cart if I wanted to use one, A buddy of mine went for a week every year. We split the cost of the week, split his green fee and both carts fees. We would walk 18 about 9am, go back to the condo for lunch, then tee off again in time to finish before dark. The we would head into town for dinner and hit the clubs!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.