Link between Lasik surgery and depression/suicide?

12,503 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Dr.Rumack
TTUArmy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
YellAgs said:

KidDoc said:

JMac03 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Most folks I know that got LASIK years ago are back to wearing contacts or glasses now. So it seems like a risk that eventually ends up being a bit of a waste of time.

Probably, but I would venture to say that most people's visions aren't near as bad as what they were, if they started with bad vision.

I don't recall how bad mine was, but I couldn't see an alarm clock at night. Couldn't watch TV. I think I was like -5 or -6 (don't know how that relates to 20/20).

I had it in 2004. I started needing glasses again about 3 years ago, however I do not wear them all the time. Basically to drive or to watch TV. I could get it again, but my Dr advises against it, so I am sticking without it. As of now I do not have any issues reading up close.
-5 or -6 is legally blind, essentially 20/200 or can't even see the big E on the Snellen chart. I was a -4.5 so was basically in the same boat as you and love my lasik still.

Like any person in their mid 40's I have hard time seeing very small text but just use some little reading glasses from HEB if I have to.

I have you all beat. Was -13. Had to do ICL, and then LASIK 6 months later.
Holy crap, Yell. That is worse than my ex-wife's vision. Pretty sure her vision was around -9. You must have been very close to blind.
Seven Costanza
AG
"Legally Blind" refers to those whose vision is 20/200 or worse after the best possible correction (glasses, contacts, etc.)
Furlock Bones
AG
I was 4.5 in Right and 4.75-5 in left. Got lasik 4.5 years ago. Best thing ever. 10/10. Would laser again.
Zemira
AG
Yep I'm basically blind without corrective lenses (something worse than 20/500). -7.00 in left and -7.50 in right eye

I can definitely see where loss of eyesight or eye problems as a younger person could cause severe depression leading to suicide. I don't think it is the Lasik making someone suicidal as much as the outcome of the procedure causing problems.

When I had a stroke a few years ago and this caused one of my eyes to not be in sync with the other (can't remember the technical name), causing double vision and other things. Dealing with the vision problems was harder than the physical and occupational therapy to learn to walk, write, type and the relearn fine motor skills with my hand.

Thankfully I was very determined (and younger) so my neurological pathways rewrote themselves and I am about 99% physically of where I was before bthe stroke.

After being sighted for so long and loosing the ability to see or one of your main senses is awful. I definitely think it would be easier to go blind at an early age than to go blind as an adult.

As far as Lasik, I don't think it is something for me, but knows what will happen in the future. If the crappy eyesight my family is cursed with holds steady my eyesight won't get much worse till I need reading glasses in about ten years.
BAT2007
AG
YellAgs, I'm in the same boat you were... -12.5 in both eyes, only option is ICL.

How was your experience?
double
AG
Left eye is -13 and right eye is -11. It's pretty scary, honestly.
YellAgs
AG
ICL was less painful than lasik. I did it as out patient and was not put under (my choice).
I drove to my followup the next day.

Lasik felt like sand in my eyes for a day.

One eye is 20/20 the other is 20/25, which is as good as glasses or contacts could get me. I had huge amount of astigmatism and thin corneas.
BAT2007
AG
Thanks so much for the info...we really have the same eyes (including astigmatism and thin corneas).

I was hoping it would just be ICL if I wanted to surgically correct but it looks like it would need to be ICL and LASIK...yikes!
Zemira
AG
The only good news on this thread is my eyesight could apparently be worse.
YellAgs
AG
I had to wait 3 months between procedures and I wore glasses for reading and driving during that time frame
Dr.Rumack
Once again I come to TexAgs for the skinny and now I'm not thinking much about it anymore. I've tweaked my contacts as much as I can. Need to try the +1.50 on the right side for readers and see how I do.
Ophthalmologist said to get the Dollar Tree ones and pop out the left lens. Stay tuned.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.