Is KidDoc still around?

2,987 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by One Louder
Sweet Clementine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And is he a pediatrician? My toddler injured herself tonight and I had a question.
Ulrich
Hang on, let me check.

Tesla. Tesla. Tesla.
NWE
AG
Child is hurt.

Op's first reaction: Ask TA.

Post removed:
by user
Sweet Clementine
AG
Obviously I'm relatively certain it's nothing major. She hurt her foot at gymnastics and has no obvious bruising or swelling, but she won't walk or stand on it.
I wanted to know how common that is in little kids with foot/leg pain. Some googling seems to indicate it's pretty common, but I wanted to see what would be cause for concern.
AggieAces06
AG
Try the Aggieland board as well. He pops up in there every now and then.
BQ2001
AG
Don't want to freak you out but my daughter broke her leg on a trampoline when she was 2.5 and there wasn't any swelling or bruising. Little hairline thing right below the knee.
Sweet Clementine
AG
My current plan is to see if she's bearing weight in the morning. If not, we may head to the doctor.
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
Google 'toddler's fracture'
Tecolote
AG
Maybe someone with a star(s) who knows KidDoc can PM him/her for OP.
5C
AG
See what ObamaCare has made people resort to?!!
KidDoc
AG
Howdy! Sorry for late reply I was at the Whitesnake and Foreigner concert.

Your plan is good. Unless there is a gross deformity wait about a day. If she still refuses to bear weight or it gets very swollen get to an express care (not ER) for imaging and splinting. It is very unusual for a toddler to fracture a leg or ankle unless a larger kid fell on it.

Edit: Yes I am a board certified practicing pediatrician.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sweet Clementine
AG
Thanks KidDoc. It was definitely the top of her foot that got hurt. Of course it was on mats and such at a gym, so it seems unlikely that she could have done much more than bruise it. It's just kinda hard to tell how bad something actually hurts when you're dealing with an almost 3 year old that has limited verbal skills.
Tatem
Kiddoc
Goose
AG
Kudos to the OP for a reasonable perspective on dealing with this. You seem to be the exception to the rule these days that: any injury, however serious or not serious, whether it will worsen over time or not, and regardless of the lack of any real emergency, must be diagnosed and addressed immediately. Hospital Emergency rooms would operate a lot more efficiently if all they saw were emergency type cases instead of broken fingers and sprained ankles. Good luck with the kiddo! Hope she feels better soon.
Sweet Clementine
AG
She's walking today, occasionally limping. Foot appears fine. I think she pulled a muscle or bruised it or something. She got up on her own this morning and walked into our room with no problem, so I think in a few more days she'll be just fine.
fish_rich
AG
How did she hurt it at the gym and old is she? Just curious because I have an 11 year old gym rat so she may have some advice.
Sweet Clementine
AG
She'll be three in September. She was on a low, soft balance beam. She walked across it and went to jump off of the end and somehow she landed on the top of her foot. It was maybe 10-12 inches tall. She's done it before with no problems, so I think she just caught her foot funny and landed on it.
It does hurt to hit the top of your foot, so it's probably just a bit tender. She's walking on it today with just a small occasional limp, so I'm guessing the soreness will go away in a few days.
UmustBKidding
My wife says if your husband is not out of town and totally unreachable it's not broken.
Win At Life
AG
Goose said:

Kudos to the OP for a reasonable perspective on dealing with this. You seem to be the exception to the rule these days that: any injury, however serious or not serious, whether it will worsen over time or not, and regardless of the lack of any real emergency, must be diagnosed and addressed immediately. Hospital Emergency rooms would operate a lot more efficiently if all they saw were emergency type cases instead of broken fingers and sprained ankles. Good luck with the kiddo! Hope she feels better soon.

Are you suggesting a parent of a kid with a broken finger is irresponsible for going to the doctor? So, the responsible thing to do is give the kid a popsicle and then splint the finger with the popsicle stick when he's done?
Goose
AG
I never said don't go to the doctor. I was just pointing out that the OP said her kid's hurt foot happened "last night" and I was commending him/her for not overreacting and treating the situation as though it were life and death.

Edit: to answer your direct question, a broken finger better be a seriously nasty break before I take myself or one of my kids to the emergency room. Couple Advil and an ice pack on it and it'll be just as broken for the doctor the next day to X-ray and cast and all that good stuff.
fish_rich
AG
Maybe just ice it a little. My daughter says that anytime you get hurt around beam that you got "bit by the beam". Just a part of the sport. Mine started at age 4 and now spends about 30 hours a week at the gym. Tell your daughter to have fun because it is a great sport!!
Liquid Wrench
SoupNazi2001 said:

NWE said:

Child is hurt.

Op's first reaction: Ask TA.

Cmon I'm sure she did Web MD first.
Glad she got an answer about the ankle. But can we rule out Celiac's disease or peanut allergies?
bmc13
AG
Quote:

Sorry for late reply I was at the Whitesnake and Foreigner concert.

BassCowboy33
KidDoc said:

Howdy! Sorry for late reply I was at the Whitesnake and Foreigner concert.

Your plan is good. Unless there is a gross deformity wait about a day. If she still refuses to bear weight or it gets very swollen get to an express care (not ER) for imaging and splinting. It is very unusual for a toddler to fracture a leg or ankle unless a larger kid fell on it.

Edit: Yes I am a board certified practicing pediatrician.

Wait, are there uncertified practicing pediatricians?
One Louder
AG
Yes, actually. You can be licensed to practice medicine but not board certified in your field.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.